Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 39 of 39
  1. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by surfschnoz View Post
    sure

    Scott genius 2009 swing arm bearing hardware kit mountain bike | eBay

    if you like I will let you know how I get on with it! :-)

    cheers

    Richard
    kit is great - but does not contain the strange shaped spacers round the top of the actual suspension unit ( but inclued the bolt through them ) plus it incl all bearings and bolts for the rest of the suspension bearings

  2. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,013
    I have broke the bottom shock bolt, the bottom pivot sleeve and the top pivot out of the frame. Hopefully scott does some warranty on this frame. fun bike though.

  3. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by tim208 View Post
    I have broke the bottom shock bolt, the bottom pivot sleeve and the top pivot out of the frame. Hopefully scott does some warranty on this frame. fun bike though.
    Was this a 2013 Genius? Thx

  4. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,013
    No 2011

  5. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,013
    frame is to be warrantied, but none in the country. Big bummer.

  6. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,013
    finally got my bike back after a month and a half. stoked to go ride it.

  7. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    7

    here we go again...

    Quote Originally Posted by tim208 View Post
    finally got my bike back after a month and a half. stoked to go ride it.
    here I am on the same thread again... I thought it seemed familiar - but at least I know hwo long this bolt lasted! this time I have lost the bush so I need a replacement for that - any ideas where I can get it?

    I think I may go titanium bolt this time - are they definitely stronger?

    thanks!

    Richard

  8. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dougal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,231
    Quote Originally Posted by surfschnoz View Post
    here I am on the same thread again... I thought it seemed familiar - but at least I know hwo long this bolt lasted! this time I have lost the bush so I need a replacement for that - any ideas where I can get it?

    I think I may go titanium bolt this time - are they definitely stronger?

    thanks!

    Richard
    The bolt isn't the problem, the bolt is the victim.
    The problem is the 2 piece shock hardware and possibly the bolt being loose enough to let everything move.

    Titanium bolts flex twice as much as steel under the same load. They are not a cure. Get a grade 12.9 or grade 14.9 cap screw and tighten it 16-20Nm.
    This will still be safe for the bolt and will provide about 1.6 ton of clamping force to stop the joint moving and loading the bolt.

    When the joint is tight enough to not move, there is no shear or bending load on the bolt to break it.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz and NZ Manitou Service Agent.
    www.dougal.co.nz Suspension setup & tuning.
    SPV Devolve

  9. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    The bolt isn't the problem, the bolt is the victim.
    The problem is the 2 piece shock hardware and possibly the bolt being loose enough to let everything move.

    Titanium bolts flex twice as much as steel under the same load. They are not a cure. Get a grade 12.9 or grade 14.9 cap screw and tighten it 16-20Nm.
    This will still be safe for the bolt and will provide about 1.6 ton of clamping force to stop the joint moving and loading the bolt.

    When the joint is tight enough to not move, there is no shear or bending load on the bolt to break it.
    That is really helpful thanks - good point!! - yes I separately got warned yesterday that actually a TI bolt may weld to the frame so I'll avoid that.

    Have found a dealer who seems to know what he is talking about and ordered the suspension bushes.

    However actually struggling to find a bolt that has a long enough shaft / short screw thread/ was thinking of going long so I could add a lock not to stop it loosening again ... looking at the damaged bolt I think that is what happened this time .... what do you think?

    appreciate your help on this!

  10. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dougal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,231
    Quote Originally Posted by surfschnoz View Post
    That is really helpful thanks - good point!! - yes I separately got warned yesterday that actually a TI bolt may weld to the frame so I'll avoid that.

    Have found a dealer who seems to know what he is talking about and ordered the suspension bushes.

    However actually struggling to find a bolt that has a long enough shaft / short screw thread/ was thinking of going long so I could add a lock not to stop it loosening again ... looking at the damaged bolt I think that is what happened this time .... what do you think?

    appreciate your help on this!
    It's standard practice to find a bolt with a suitable shank and cut off the excess thread. I wouldn't bother with the locknut unless the frame threads are damaged. A drop of paint pen (white-out etc) on the bolt head can let you see if it has moved from the torqued up position.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz and NZ Manitou Service Agent.
    www.dougal.co.nz Suspension setup & tuning.
    SPV Devolve

  11. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    7
    perfect thanks v much

  12. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    99
    Just curious, but on the lowest pivot of my 2013 Genius 720, on the left hand side, there is a lock nut with a bolt running through the middle to the other side of the frame. Is that bolt supposed to move with relative ease? I've looked at friends new Spark and his bolt was solid/tight. I ran into the Scott rep at my LBS and he said it was supposed to "float" and just be sure that the lock nut was tight. It is, very. Bike seems to work just fine, but I wonder sometimes. Thx for the help

  13. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by asyax View Post
    I removed the rocker arm from the right hand side of the shock and unscrewed the broken bolt with multi-grips. Replaced with a 50mmxM6 titanium. Still broken a couple since. Keep one in my saddle bag. You have to check the torque regularly. If the break was catastrophic, ie you didn't expect it and the rocker arms collapsed into the frame you may need to check nothing twisted, else new bolt should go in. Probably worth letting your Scott dealer know though. I tend not to locktite the bolts in because I may need to remove it out on the trail.

    How did you remove the rocker arm? Mine has these bolts (circular gold colored) that I don't know how to remove (see attached photo). Do I need a special tool to remove them? It would be much easier for me to remove the sheered off bolt in the rocker arm if I could remove it from the frame. Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Broken Scott Genius Parts?-img_0302.jpg  


  14. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post

    Titanium bolts flex twice as much as steel under the same load. They are not a cure. Get a grade 12.9 or grade 14.9 cap screw and tighten it 16-20Nm.
    This will still be safe for the bolt and will provide about 1.6 ton of clamping force to stop the joint moving and loading the bolt.
    Did you mean a CLASS 12.9 screw? This is what I found on amazon: "Class 12.9 (comparable to Standard Grade 8)"
    Metric M5 X 40mm Socket Head Cap Screw; Black; Pack of 10: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •