Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pablobaq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    109

    Upset Broke my Spark 29 Frame!!!

    On the warm up loop of my ride today, going over a large rock, my loved elite decided to fail on me!

    WOW it wasnt even a jump! WTF
    Im going to my LBS tomorrow to get it seen.

    Im sure it will be covered by the scotts warranty. This bike is not even 6 months old!



    First time I break a frame. the weird thing is that it wasn't even under alot of strain...



    It took me a minute to understand what was going on, I thought "why is my chain not engaged!?!?" and then it hit me the freaking chainstay broke... what a great day...




  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    500
    Pablo, I took care of your warranty for you. I have the chainstay waiting for you at our shop.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: limba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,911
    Brutal. Hopefully the fixed version lasts longer.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pablobaq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by pumaking View Post
    Pablo, I took care of your warranty for you. I have the chainstay waiting for you at our shop.
    Thank you J, you're the the man!
    For anybody out there looking for a bike in South Florida check out Alex's bike shop.
    AMAZING service as you can see!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    83
    From the pictures, it looks like it messed up your seat tube as well. was that just cosmetic?
    Living in Houston makes me more of a Ditch Bike Rider

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pablobaq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    109
    Faulker479, its just dirt and mud, the seat stay is fine luckily... thats the other half of the frame.
    What got damaged also were 2 spokes from the rear wheel. I think the chainstay got to close to the spokes when it snapped. Good thing that I have generic spokes.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    500
    Pic of the carnage, upon further inspection. A few things stuck out to me that may of stressed the chainstays. I cant say for certain if this was an impact damage or manufactures defect. Overall, bike was repaired and warrantied in less than 24 hours.





  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    500
    This is the first warranty work we've processed for the new Sparks. Truly a testament to Scott's engineering and quality.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by pablobaq View Post
    Faulker479, its just dirt and mud, the seat stay is fine luckily... thats the other half of the frame.
    What got damaged also were 2 spokes from the rear wheel. I think the chainstay got to close to the spokes when it snapped. Good thing that I have generic spokes.
    I am sure that was a relief. Yeah, i would rather need to replace a spoke any day over frame issue. Glad to see Scott jumped right on it too.
    Living in Houston makes me more of a Ditch Bike Rider

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    82
    Awesome service!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pablobaq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by aenima View Post
    Awesome service!
    Absolutely man!,

    We had a race this weekend here in South Florida... I was really concerned that the bike was not gonna be ready for the race, But PUMAKING got it fixed in less than than 24 hours! outstanding...

    BTW, the bike felt great during the race SCOTT rocks

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by pumaking View Post
    Pic of the carnage, upon further inspection. A few things stuck out to me that may of stressed the chainstays. I cant say for certain if this was an impact damage or manufactures defect. Overall, bike was repaired and warrantied in less than 24 hours.




    I hope mine gets fixed that quick!

    How much would it cost to upgrade to the carbon rear end?

    Jared

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    35
    Yikes. This scares me slightly as I was looking into getting the Scott spark 640. I don't know exactly what frame you have but I imagine they are very similar. But it's cool they worked it out in less than 24 hours as you've said. The fact that the customer service is that good definitely makes me feel better about getting the Spark 640.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    82
    I finally got my bike back today. I guess the 2012 swing arms are all gone, so they replaced it with a 2013 swingarm. I'm hoping it is tougher than the one it replaced.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: noreasterbackcountry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    161
    FWIW, the swingarm on my Spark Elite broke in the exact same spot while I was riding the CircumBurke about a month ago. Same side... same location. I wasn't under warranty (second owner) but the fix was reasonably inexpensive.

    It snapped when I tried to hop a small stream crossing. It didn't hit very hard.. but apparently hard enough. At 160 I don't weigh all that much either.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by noreasterbackcountry View Post
    FWIW, the swingarm on my Spark Elite broke in the exact same spot while I was riding the CircumBurke about a month ago. Same side... same location. I wasn't under warranty (second owner) but the fix was reasonably inexpensive.

    It snapped when I tried to hop a small stream crossing. It didn't hit very hard.. but apparently hard enough. At 160 I don't weigh all that much either.
    Why second owners aren't under warranty?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •