mtbr member
    Jan 2004

In-between sizes, did you go for the larger one?

I'm 5'10" with 32" pant inseam, and most of my xc bikes are Mediums with about 23.4 to 23.6 top tubes with 90 or 100mm stems. I don't recall the Reach measurement. On some of my all-mountain or trail bikes a Large fits best such as Santa Cruz and Ibis with a 50 or 70mm stem and wide bar.

I tested a medium Scale 29er and it just felt okay. Swapped out stems from 70 to 100. The numbers indicated it should be a great fit.

Then I tested a Large Scale Expert 29er. The numbers indicate it's too big, but it just felt so good with the stock stem and bar width.

Anyone else run a frame that is supposedly "wrong" by the numbers or traditional sizing but it just works? I know some racers/riders prefer a larger frame when in-between, but the Large Scale geometry is waaaay off for my size but I could go so much faster and more comfortable during the test ride vs a Medium.

I've been on 29ers and 650b HT and FS for years but this Scale 29er Large vs Medium is a bit odd.

mtbr member
    My personal preference was to go smaller. Regardless, though, it is what feels best to you. You're getting a Scott, you will be happy!!!!
    Last edited by iamspartacus; 07-16-2012 at 06:56 AM.

XC racer
    May 2005
    I'm a bit taller than you at 6'0" but similar inseam. All of my Scotts have been large sized frames. I could probably go down to medium but as you noted the large just seems more natural to me and more comfortable. Any weight difference betweent the two sizes is negligible. I'd say go for what works for you not what your paper calculations say.

On a side note, a junior teammate of mine who is about your height fits right on my bikes and in fact bought my old Spark. At the end of the spring season, he too moved into an Expert 29'er in large and loves it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Get the larger one! I own a small 26r anthem and a medium Spark 29. I found that the medium allows me to move around on the bike more. Having a more open space allows me to jump around twist my hips and use more body language zipping through turns and twisties. On the anthem I find myself sitting down more in tight turns.

Enjoy

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    What is your torso length?