mtbr member

Best Scott for the money? I need help!

Soo... I find myself in a very advantageous position. My buddy down at the LBS has called upon me to do a bit of electrical work for him. He wants to lighten his cash burden by trading me bike. Mind you I was not and am not in the market for a new bike. I'm content with my '12 Scott Scale. (Which I got thru the last trade with my buddy) That being said, my buddy is a heck of a salesman and has now planted that new bike seed in my mind. So last night I did a bit of perusing Scott's website, looking at the Sparks and Genius's and my imagination began to run away. I want one!

My question to you guys is: which one? I'm in Florida so no real elevation however I got a crazy buddy who's trying to talk me into riding the Divide. That's a pipe dream that might come true. Most likely not. But if I can get a good bike for such an excursion now would be the time. I'm basically playing with house money and I'll probably never drop the kind of coin Im in position to trade for now. But in reality all I ride is trails. Somewhat technical rooty rocky sandy single track. That's the majority of my riding. And I plan to do some real mountain biking in the future. Crazy buddies trying to get me to go to Cali and Canada among other places. So eventually I'll want a bike thats fit for all that might come my way.

I think you guys are smelling what I'm stepping in here. I have an opportunity to get a bike that's probably going to be overkill for my normal riding but who cares this is the chance of a lifetime. I'm never going to drop 4-5 racks on a bike from my own pocket.

Please help me make this decision. Spark? Genius? 29er? 27.5? Help!!! Please!!
    Last edited by count123; 08-08-2013 at 12:23 PM.

mtbr member

No help!? I even said please!

Ok.. Pretty please with sugar on top!!!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Hi check out scotts website they help you out choosing a better fit for you.
    both are good but I think one is better suited for all mountain/downhill and another for xc/trail .
    I'm in florida too and ride snowhill a lot. I have a '13 hardrock sport disk 29er and love it.
    But soon my brother will be rocking that bike and im going with a scott scale 940 xc/trail bike.

mtbr member

Thanks for the reply! The genius 920 is sticking out to me so far.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I have a 940 Genius and have been nothing but happy with it after replacing the seat and pedals. I can't see why you wouldn't love the 920.I'd look at the 700 series Genius too if your planning all these trips.
    2012 GT Karakoram
    2013 Scott Genius 940

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue426 View Post
    I have a 940 Genius and have been nothing but happy with it after replacing the seat and pedals. I can't see why you wouldn't love the 920.I'd look at the 700 series Genius too if your planning all these trips.
    That's good to hear. I was getting a bit discouraged reading some of the threads with the problems some have had. 700 series? Interesting. I'm very curious about those too. I've read that the cockpit size is the same on both bikes. I'm 6'2" 205. What do you think would be the advantage of the 700?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    First , let me qualify that have only been riding since April of this year, so I'm a noob. I've read the concerns about the rear shocks on the Scott's and I have no complaints. I came from HT's so the FS is like a Cadillac to me.Advantages of a 700 would a tighter turning radius in theory along with more travel if your going to take trips to Cali and Colorado to do some downhill stuff. I am in South Florida and think the 940 suits the trails I ride here fairly well, the lockout works great on what small elevation changes there are at Quiet Waters, other than that I keep it in full travel for the most part. Can you test ride the models you have an interest in?
    2012 GT Karakoram
    2013 Scott Genius 940

mtbr member

I'm coming from hard tail as well. So this is all kind of overwhelming. So much to consider and maintain on FS. I can test the bikes I'm interested in. As soon as I get a spare moment to do so. I'm guessing a lot of my concerns will be eased once I actually take one out. I honestly have no idea what to expect from a FS bike.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by count123 View Post
    I'm coming from hard tail as well. So this is all kind of overwhelming. So much to consider and maintain on FS. I can test the bikes I'm interested in. As soon as I get a spare moment to do so. I'm guessing a lot of my concerns will be eased once I actually take one out. I honestly have no idea what to expect from a FS bike.
    If an unique opportunity such as this presented itself to me. I would be at my buddy's shop test riding every bike I had an interest in, if you can take them on your local trails that would certainly be a ++++ scenario.BTW, if your buddy has anything that needs to be built be sure to tell him I'd offer my services for the same deal as you have.
    2012 GT Karakoram
    2013 Scott Genius 940

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue426 View Post
    If an unique opportunity such as this presented itself to me. I would be at my buddy's shop test riding every bike I had an interest in, if you can take them on your local trails that would certainly be a ++++ scenario.BTW, if your buddy has anything that needs to be built be sure to tell him I'd offer my services for the same deal as you have.
    I feel ya. I definitely plan on doing some test riding. I'm just slammed with work right now. I'll be sure to let him know your available. What exactly do you do?