mtbr member

Anyone mount a Cane Creek EC44/40 tapered lower headset assembly to a 2009 Spark?

Was trying to fit a Sid WC tapered to a 2009 Scott Spark Contessa, straight head tube

Purchased the Cane Creek adapter that allows tapered steerers into straight head tubes.
    However there is a small piece of carbon/glue inside the lower 1/3 of the head tube that does not allow the fork to pass through the head tube.it hits the tapered portion that makes it into the head tube.

anyone had this problem, the lower headset assembly fits fine, but the steerer will only go through part way as it hits some sort of bulge inside the head tube that the regular 1 1/8 steerer would not.

looked at park reaming tool and talked to scott canada but cant seem to get an answer

thanks for any help
    If I wanted to objectify a women I'd do it on my terms not theirs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I am doing exactly the same thing at the moment with my Spark (08) frame, only using a Hope lower cup instead of a Cane Creek. And I also have encountered the issue where the lowered tapered section of the steerer fouls the lower carbon ring.....

First off this ring is both a stop for the headset cups and also a reinforcing ring. Based on this, Scott will NEVER recommend you modify it in any way.

However after finding out these rings often sustain damage when shops try to knock out the pressed-in cups using a normal spreader tool, and the headtubes are still fine, I figured it's safe to take off some material to increase clearance.

The ring is 5-6mm wide, so I figured it will be overbuilt just to be on the safe side and you only need to take off about 2mm to get the required clearance. I would never use a reamer on carbon as you may tear the fibres/filaments I used a dremel with a grinding attachment. Go slow, go steady, ensure you have good light so you can see inside the headtube. Wear a face mask, eye protection, gloves and long sleeves and keep on hoovering up the dust so you can monitor progress. Also keep on test fitting the fork, just to ensure you only take off as much as is required. When you're done, clean away ALL dust, clean the headtube with isopropyl alcohol and then reseal the cut surface of the ring with superglue. The take a shower to get any carbon dust off you (it really is nasty stuff).

And finally, you do this at you're own risk as it's all untested for me!

mtbr member

Good job! switched forks

thanks for the info, figured it would be something like that
    i ordered a sid rtc3 120 9mm from rockshox with the straight alum steerer just to be on the safe side. should only be 10 - 20 grams heavier (as per rs site) but could actually save the weight of the canecreek lower assembly, so might come out on top

will post pics, bike should weigh in at 20.4 pounds when done

thanks once again for the much needed info
    If I wanted to objectify a women I'd do it on my terms not theirs.