mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Anyone has this issue before ? Scott 2013 29er Broken RD holder?

Hi People,

Few months back, i brought a Scott 2013 960 full suspension with SLX set up. I weighs around 55 kilo and riding style is usually XC and gravel.

Days ago, i took the bike to my normal trail ride and took a drop (likely than one feet) . The rear deraileur gone jammed up. After inspecting, i realized the rear deraileur holder is broken. This resulted in a broken deraileur, and of course a broken chain, and likely frame damages.Anyone has this issue before ? Scott 2013 29er Broken RD holder?-scott960rd_holder.jpg

Have anyone faces this issue before?

cheers Erik

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I have. On my 2011 Scale 29er. SLX RD mid cage. I broke 3 hangers back to back on small drops, just like yours. I fixed the problem by going 1x9 and switching over to the short cage Saint. I think my cage was bouncing over into the spokes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rnm410 View Post
    I have. On my 2011 Scale 29er. SLX RD mid cage. I broke 3 hangers back to back on small drops, just like yours. I fixed the problem by going 1x9 and switching over to the short cage Saint. I think my cage was bouncing over into the spokes.
    Did scott provide any written explaination on the cause? If a standard equipment provided by a manufacturer is faulty or not able to function properly based their recommended set up. Will Scott provide some resolution to it?

I wonder is there any Scott representative in this forum whom can help me to address this issue?
    Last edited by ErikScott; 04-29-2013 at 08:24 PM.

OTB Pro

RE: Anyone has this issue before ? Scott 2013 29er Broken RD holder?

The hanger is a safety feature such that it bends rather than your dropouts or derailleur bending, saving you from a more expensive failure. If you begin bending a lot of them In a short period of time then there is most likely something wrong with the hangers you are buying. Buy a new one at your LBS or online and replace.
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by meyer378 View Post
    The hanger is a safety feature such that it bends rather than your dropouts or derailleur bending, saving you from a more expensive failure. If you begin bending a lot of them In a short period of time then there is most likely something wrong with the hangers you are buying. Buy a new one at your LBS or online and replace.
    This. It is a sacrificial part. My solution was changing out the rear derailleur. Since then, no problems.

Do you have any clue to your failure?

In my case there was visible damage on the spokes and derailleur cage in all cases. Which led me to the conclusion that my derailleur was the issue. I inspected the frame dropouts further agreeing with my hypothesis.

I use a single bolt dropout so the break was in a different location.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by meyer378 View Post
    Thanks Meyer, the hanger and derailuer is the default equipment from the bike. Therefore, I was a bit surprised that it is so fragile.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    If you have had problems with your Scott Spark Elite, this youtube video will explain the short commings of Scott.

Scott Spark Elite 2012 - YouTube

mtbr member
    Check the limit adjustment on your derailleur. It's possible it it turned too far out, when you hit a bump, the increase in chain tension will extent the derailleur into the spokes. It will be the screw with the "L" next to it. If you're not sure how, have your shop check the low limit adjustment.

That picture is the derailleur hanger doing it's job to save your frame.
    Race Reports, PreRide Reports, and General Rambling:

www.roostersbikersedge.com
    http://www.ENVEcomposites.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Erik,

I work for Scott and can give you some insite on the RD hanger question. I notice this is from a while ago and I am not sure if you got any answer from Scott direct regarding this so here you are. As mentioned these are designed to break and not the frame. These are pretty standard issue RD hangers and Wheels Manufacturing makes after market hangers that I have had luck with. I have not heard of any of our hangers being "soft" aluminum, but wheels mfg seems to be stronger and the go to for the shops to replace yours.
    With that being said I had issues with long cage derr actually increasing the leverage on the hangers and having them break. I don't want you to spend more money to solve a problem, but going to a mid cage may help with the issue.
    I hope this helps and my recommendation is to buy 2 hangers this way you will not have any issues again......

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lehumph View Post
    If you have had problems with your Scott Spark Elite, this youtube video will explain the short commings of Scott.

Scott Spark Elite 2012 - YouTube
    Maybe the fact that he has the hanger on back to front might have something to do with his issue?

Anyone has this issue before ? Scott 2013 29er Broken RD holder?-rrderhgr.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    1800 miles on my Scale 29 and no problems, I have the single bolt hanger though. Make sure your rear der can't get into your spokes! I don't see how you'd break the hanger other than der into spokes or the der hit an unmovable object.

mtbr member
    in the video he inadvertently flipped the hanger. Im sure it was installed properly on the brand new bike. Im looking to purchase a FS bike, and the Scott is on the list. I will be looking them over better Monday. I will say this hanger issue has put a question mark on my purchase.