• 09-08-2012
    yogiprophet
    1 Attachment(s)
    Any Genius 900s or 700s around yet?
    I was wondering if these bikes are out yet. I can't wait to see one in my bike shop.
    If you have one or one on order, I'de like to here from you.
  • 09-08-2012
    weaverwins
    have a 910 on order. considered going frame only to get it built earlier but decided to wait on it and have the fork that was made for it. hoping magura comes out with a 140 or 130 29er fork eventually.

    parts i have waiting to go on it:
    king hubs on arch ex rims
    renthal fat bar/stem
    sram x0 cranks with MRP 28t bling ring (dropping front der/shifter)
    xtr rear der/shifter
    magura mt8 brakes

    could not be more psyched about it. could not be more bummed about having to wait ha.
  • 09-10-2012
    yogiprophet
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by weaverwins View Post
    have a 910 on order. considered going frame only to get it built earlier but decided to wait on it and have the fork that was made for it. hoping magura comes out with a 140 or 130 29er fork eventually.

    parts i have waiting to go on it:
    king hubs on arch ex rims
    renthal fat bar/stem
    sram x0 cranks with MRP 28t bling ring (dropping front der/shifter)
    xtr rear der/shifter
    magura mt8 brakes

    could not be more psyched about it. could not be more bummed about having to wait ha.

    Yea, If I get one I am going for the frame only and putting a Lefty on it.

    I am concerned about the rear end stiffness. I have a friend who has the Spark and his rear end is super flexy as well as the one in the shop. It doesn't look like the Genius' rear end is much different than the Spark's.

    It is about the only long travel 29er bike available without the stupid "new school" geometry....this and the Tallboy LT.....but I like the Genius numbers better.

    Post up your new ride when it gets here :thumbsup:
  • 09-10-2012
    bedell99
    Just curious, what do you consider new school geometry?

    Erik
  • 09-10-2012
    weaverwins
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by yogiprophet View Post
    Yea, If I get one I am going for the frame only and putting a Lefty on it.

    I am concerned about the rear end stiffness. I have a friend who has the Spark and his rear end is super flexy as well as the one in the shop. It doesn't look like the Genius' rear end is much different than the Spark's.

    It is about the only long travel 29er bike available without the stupid "new school" geometry....this and the Tallboy LT.....but I like the Genius numbers better.

    Post up your new ride when it gets here :thumbsup:

    which spark? the ones with the thru rear and the right wheel havent felt flexy to me and im a big kid...

    i considered frame up but want that frame/fork/seatpost combo as is until i decide what fork i want to swap to (if any) eventually. im goo goo over the maguras after getting a friends spark off him until my genius comes in.
  • 09-10-2012
    yogiprophet
    Erik, By that I mean short and slack. You know, for the lazy young kids who get dropped off at the top of the climbs (no offense to you youngsters).


    Weaver, It was the new Spark 29. Maybe you don't notice it but I do....especially in tight technical terrain where stiffness is key to control.
  • 09-10-2012
    weaverwins
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by yogiprophet View Post
    Weaver, It was the new Spark 29. Maybe you don't notice it but I do....especially in tight technical terrain where stiffness is key to control.

    there are a bunch of models of the new spark 29... and what wheels? the wheels probably make as much if not more difference.
  • 09-10-2012
    yogiprophet
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by weaverwins View Post
    there are a bunch of models of the new spark 29... and what wheels? the wheels probably make as much if not more difference.

    Oh, I see why you asked now.
    There was flex in the rear wheel but the frame had quite a bit too....more than my Tallboy which I consider to not be very stiff either.
    On my TB, I have a Single Speed DT Swiss hub with 2.0/1.8/2.0 spokes. This wheel is very stiff and there is still more play back there that I prefer. It's not bad, but I still feel it in certain situation. You should know that I ride at a very high level and push my bikes very hard.
  • 09-10-2012
    weaverwins
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by yogiprophet View Post
    Oh, I see why you asked now.
    You should know that I ride at a very high level and push my bikes very hard.

    are you assuming that i dont? :)

    makes a difference on what model spark.. some have carbon rear, others dont. some have thru axle rear, others dont. some have stock wheels, others dont... etc...

    im guessing my 142x12 rear axle + carbon + stans arch ex rims oughta be stiff enough once mine is built up.
  • 09-10-2012
    yogiprophet
    Ha, no I'm not assuming anything about you.

    It was the top of the line ridden by a pro rider so it was full carbon with 142x12.

    I can tell the difference between wheel and frame flex which is why I didn't mention that.

    Edit: and I should add that he lost yesterday's race by less than a minute on an awesome course. He may have won with a stiffer chassis. For me it makes a big difference - esp. in the rough sections which this course had it's share.
  • 09-10-2012
    weaverwins
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by yogiprophet View Post
    He may have won with a stiffer chassis. For me it makes a big difference - esp. in the rough sections which this course had it's share.

    im sorry but this is kinda comical... as if the rear stays were at fault for his loss... if you can narrow it down to that one variable then you are way better of an analyst then this world has ever seen...
  • 09-10-2012
    yogiprophet
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by weaverwins View Post
    im sorry but this is kinda comical... as if the rear stays were at fault for his loss... if you can narrow it down to that one variable then you are way better of an analyst then this world has ever seen...

    It was supposed to be comical :thumbsup:
  • 09-10-2012
    weaverwins
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by yogiprophet View Post
    It was supposed to be comical :thumbsup:

    success!
  • 09-24-2012
    bedell99
    Just put in an order for a 910 Genius. Looks like end of December. I was hoping it was going to be earlier, but in reality it looks like after the New Year.

    Erik
  • 09-24-2012
    weaverwins
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bedell99 View Post
    Just put in an order for a 910 Genius. Looks like end of December. I was hoping it was going to be earlier, but in reality it looks like after the New Year.

    Erik

    Who said end of dec?

    Pumaking u heard anything yet aboit 1st deliveries?

    Im gonna have a bunch of badass parts sitting around with no bike to go on!
  • 09-24-2012
    bedell99
    I ended up ordering from Rei. This is from the Scott Rep that they are back ordered until 12-27. I placed my order today.

    Erik
  • 09-25-2012
    zombinate
    We have a tentative supply date just after the 1st of the year.
  • 09-25-2012
    pumaking
    Depends on the model, but for the most part New Years looks to be the date. However the frameset is supposed to be available in 2 days. One of the guys at my shop has a frame on order so we'll see.
  • 09-25-2012
    weaverwins
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by pumaking View Post
    Depends on the model, but for the most part New Years looks to be the date. However the frameset is supposed to be available in 2 days. One of the guys at my shop has a frame on order so we'll see.

    New years for even the preorder batch?

    What fork is he putting on it?
  • 09-25-2012
    weaverwins
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bedell99 View Post
    I ended up ordering from Rei. This is from the Scott Rep that they are back ordered until 12-27. I placed my order today.

    Erik

    Just heard back and hearing the same... And i put in my order as soon as the specs were available to shops
  • 09-25-2012
    pumaking
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by weaverwins View Post
    New years for even the preorder batch?

    What fork is he putting on it?


    Yup, even the pre-order batch is supposed to be early december now.

    Probably a Fox Talas CTD
  • 09-25-2012
    weaverwins
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by pumaking View Post
    Yup, even the pre-order batch is supposed to be early december now.

    Probably a Fox Talas CTD

    Damn...

    Is the frame only option one color?
  • 09-26-2012
    weaverwins
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by pumaking View Post
    Yup, even the pre-order batch is supposed to be early december now.

    Probably a Fox Talas CTD

    puma do you the true axle to crown measurement of the fork they are putting on the genius 900 models? or do you know the measurement for a fox in 120 or 140 similar to it? trying to figure out if another fork will work.
  • 09-26-2012
    bedell99
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by weaverwins View Post
    puma do you the true axle to crown measurement of the fork they are putting on the genius 900 models? or do you know the measurement for a fox in 120 or 140 similar to it? trying to figure out if another fork will work.

    For a 32 120mm it is 520.8mm
    For a 32 130mm it is 530.8mm

    For a 34 130mm it is 542.8mm
    For a 34 140mm it is 552.8mm

    Erik
  • 09-26-2012
    weaverwins
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bedell99 View Post
    For a 32 120mm it is 520.8mm
    For a 32 130mm it is 530.8mm

    For a 34 130mm it is 542.8mm
    For a 34 140mm it is 552.8mm

    Erik

    why such a difference for the 32 and 34??

    interesting to see. a magura 120mm is the same as the fox 32 130mm as i suspected... hmmm