mtbr member

Alternate shocks for ransoms

Had the equalizer on my ransom lunch it self yesterday for the 2nd time in 3 months so im interested in any other shock options people may of tried and how they found them in comparison performance to the equalizer.

Cheers

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Quote Originally Posted by phantasim
    Had the equalizer on my ransom lunch it self yesterday for the 2nd time in 3 months so im interested in any other shock options people may of tried and how they found them in comparison performance to the equalizer.

Cheers
    As a fellow Ransom owner I'm almost afraid to ask how your shock is failing?

I think finding an aftermarket replacement shock is going to be very challenging due to the very high leverage ratio of the stock setup. I don't know of any other shock that can handle the 400lbs of pressure required for a shock to provide that much travel. Certainly be interested to hear if anyone has been able to adapt something though...

CTD
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    i know a few people that run DHX 5.0 Airs on their ransom's, it ups the travel by 1/2" inch. but they reckon its better that the Equalizer

mtbr member
    You can tune a DHX air to run pretty sweet on the Ransom.

mtbr member
    Seems like the DHX is the way to go then, I can get a old stock DHX 4 brand new for about NZ$400 so might give that a crack

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    didn't realize the equalizer was that bad. i thought that it was a pretty reliable shock. i'm actually really thinking about getting an 09 ransom 10 frame. what do you guys think of your ransoms

Quote Originally Posted by invol2ver
    didn't realize the equalizer was that bad. i thought that it was a pretty reliable shock. i'm actually really thinking about getting an 09 ransom 10 frame. what do you guys think of your ransoms
    My research didn't indicate there was any particular problems with the equalizer shock. To the contrary there seems to be mostly praise for this shock and the adjustability it offers. I'm very happy with my 08 Ransom 20 although some of the stock components left a bit to be desired, the frame and shock has has been excellent so far.

My only concern with respect to the equalizer shock is ease of obtaining parts and service given this is a unique shock made just for the Ransom. It is good to hear that other shocks can be adapted to the frame though hopefully that will never be necessary.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by invol2ver
    I had 18 months of trouble free use then after i had a service done it has failed twice in about as many months. Awesome bikes all the same though hence im looking at other shock options.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    what are your ransoms weighing in at

theflu
    May 2009
    I have a stock 09 Ransom30 and it weighs in at 33lbs. So far I haven't had any probs with the bike but am struggling to find the right set up for how I ride. I love the fact that I can go and ride any trail from hard core xc to downhill and have a great time. I will have to try to run the -'ve pressure 25psi lower next year (becasue of snow and ice). Great bike, looks cool and am looking forward to nailing the setup.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Well seen as the design of the frame and bike revolves around the equalizer, i would just get it done again under warrenty if i was you. I believe that it is impossible to run another shock in the frame, unless you get new mounts made to be able to fit the shock. Also, Scott will not warrent the frame if it has another shock in it, as you have modified the mounts (well, got some new ones made) to be able to fit a different shock.

My ransom (..40, 2008) is built up with the following:
    Added/Changed
    RS coil u-turn lyriks
    Hone crankset & XT all over
    e13 STS guide
    Mavic 720/Hope Pro II rear wheel
    DMR V12
    Sunline v2 bars/grips
    Also removed traction control lever thing..
    Stock
    Scott stem, seat, seat post
    Avid Juicy 3's

Last time i weighed it, it was around 34lbs, but that was a while back. Probably put onto a lb or so since..

Phantasim: have you sorted a new equalizer shock? or have you gone down the dhx route?

mtbr member
    You can run the 190mm DHX air in the Ransom without changing the mounts. That is the only one I am aware of and I would get it tuned to ramp up at end stroke with a bottom out bumper on the main shart and reduce the size of the main air chamber. Mine felt best when I ran it like that. I have an Equalizer in there now with 26 bar in the negative chamber and 25 bar in the positive chamber. Feels good to me.

For the guys running less negative pressure than positive. What is the reason?

mtbr member
    You can run the 190mm DHX air in the Ransom without changing the mounts. That is the only one I am aware of and I would get it tuned to ramp up at end stroke with a bottom out bumper on the main shart and reduce the size of the main air chamber. Mine felt best when I ran it like that. I have an Equalizer in there now with 26 bar in the negative chamber and 25 bar in the positive chamber. Feels good to me.

For the guys running less negative pressure than positive. What is the reason?

mtbr member

DHX 5.0 Air

I bought a Ransom 10 frame that had a Fox DHX 5.0 Air shock already fitted. I'm loving it! My mate has a Ransom SL with the Equalizer shock and now he's going to get a DHX too. He feels the added reliability and performance of the Fox outweighs the travel adjust option of the Equalizer. He likes the Equalizer... just likes the DHX better

STS
    mtbr member
    I've run a stratos helix pro shock to try, and works perfectly
    as it is a air+spring shock, it can be set very progresive
    that is the way to go with the ransom

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Any idea that you could run a coil shock in the ransom? obviously you would have to tune it specifically..

mtbr member
    There isn't enough room in the frame and the linkage was designed to run with a progressive air shock.

STS
    mtbr member
    the only option I see is the one I coment up there
    the stratos helix-pro
    because the air makes it progresive, while it is a spring shock

and yes, the spring has room to work

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I'll be sticking with the equalizer for now anyway, seen as i have just forked out £100 to have it serviced. I guess I will also be playing with other set ups. E.g The only 'different' setups I have ran is running ~20psi lower in the negative. So when I get my shock back, I will be trying the alternative of running ~20psi more in the positive.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Okay.. I got my eqaulizer back today, feels a lot nicer after having it serviced. I'm guessing it won't take too long to bed in, will it not? I've also got the shock setup different to previous aswell. I am now running 330psi in the positive, 310 in the negative and 28 clicks of rebound from slow. It feels rather nice by just having a bounce on it. I will be testing this set up hopefully this week. It will be good to see how this setup feels.

How is everyone else getting on with their shocks?

mtbr member
    I always ran one bar more pressure in the negative than the positive chamber. I have never tried more pressure in the positive chamber.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Sorry, I must of misread a previous post about what psi in what chambers. Like I said, I was running 330psi in the positive and 310psi in the negative - it did feel slightly nice, but it didn't ride as well as I thought it might have done so I went back to running more in the negative. I am now running 315psi in the negative and 305 in the positive with 28 clicks of rebound from slow. I am forever playing with pressures in both chambers to find the perfect set up, but I dont really mind playing about.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan_ransom
    Sorry, I must of misread a previous post about what psi in what chambers. Like I said, I was running 330psi in the positive and 310psi in the negative - it did feel slightly nice, but it didn't ride as well as I thought it might have done so I went back to running more in the negative. I am now running 315psi in the negative and 305 in the positive with 28 clicks of rebound from slow. I am forever playing with pressures in both chambers to find the perfect set up, but I dont really mind playing about.
    The head product manager, at Scott, for the Ransom told me to run one bar more pressure in the negative than the positive chamber. I am 86 kilos and run 26 and 25 bar.

mtbr member
    yep, run 15-20psi more pressure in the negative. I love the Equalizer's action and the adjustable travel at the lever makes it such an awesome all mountain bike.

FYI, the shock will feel terrible if you run less pressure in the negative chamber. It will really top out hard, be stiff on the small bumps and rebound fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed
    yep, run 15-20psi more pressure in the negative. I love the Equalizer's action and the adjustable travel at the lever makes it such an awesome all mountain bike.

FYI, the shock will feel terrible if you run less pressure in the negative chamber. It will really top out hard, be stiff on the small bumps and rebound fast.
    A somewhat on topic question: How does one tell if the negative chamber is maintaining pressure? Because the chamber is so small it seems pretty much impossible to check the pressure without releasing it all when you attach the pump. I know how to remove the pump without lossing air but how does one avoid losing air when attaching the pump?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kwarwick
    A somewhat on topic question: How does one tell if the negative chamber is maintaining pressure? Because the chamber is so small it seems pretty much impossible to check the pressure without releasing it all when you attach the pump. I know how to remove the pump without lossing air but how does one avoid losing air when attaching the pump?

Not really because a portion of the chamber's air travels through the hose on the way to the gauge...

But there are several indicators of a leaking negative chamber like fast rebound, stiff at the top of the travel, decreased sag measurement, crappy shock feel.

With the proper negative pressure the shock will be plush at the top and will rebound in a more controlled manner.

Try setting your negative pressure low once just to see the effects it has on your shock so you'll be able to notice it if it does leak...
    Last edited by Fillet-brazed; 04-29-2010 at 02:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    2 equalizer shocks and than switch them out when needed.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    My Ransom is 18 months old and the shock has been back to the shop about 8 times.Mainly going into full damping after full compressions.Got a new shock waiting for me at the shop,hope I get better mileage out of this one!

Members who have read this thread: 0