mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Is this acceptable for a new carbon frame??

Seeking urgent advice from Scott owners.

Am currently looking at a Scale 35 2012. Bike only have 2 frames which fits me.
    But one of them has a slight slight dent on the down tube which I pointed out to the sales guy. Some minor bubbles also appear on the inside of the tube each like 1-5 cent size. The staff replied that it is pretty normal that carbon frames sometimes have "imperfect" finishes like this.

The 2nd frame has better finishes. But on the left rear tube appear some blemishes underneath the lacquer as shown. Overall look has better finishes as the first one. Was told that it was "imperfect" finish.

I tried the first one, ride was great. But the concern now is I read some reviews here that air bubbles might be the cause to future breakges. This is also the concern I have for the 2nd frame(pic shown). I just hope that the overall frame will not fail due to these defects. Or is it common to find wavy lacquer finishes, air bubbles or these blemishes on carbon frames?? Acceptable??

Can any Scott riders advise?? LBS is offering only <10% discount off retail, and not sure now whether to pull the trigger...

mtbr member
    maybe try gently tapping it and listen to any sound changes, ie for any density change in the carbon....
    Before you buy anything online, send Bob at bikerbob.com an email! Best online retailer!

My bike/ race Blog

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bellullabob View Post
    maybe try gently tapping it and listen to any sound changes, ie for any density change in the carbon....
    Yeah, that might help. Thanks for advice!