mtbr member

29'er - Spark Pro vs. Scale Pro

So which is it. I've been a hardtail guy forever and am thinking about the plushness of a FS for some of those really rocky races. I got a little beatup last year on some rough stuff so I'm thinking a FS can help the fatigue and help my performance. Then again I love the hardtail's efficiency and I don't mind getting beatup a little. There are 2 races in my mind from last year where I had to completely turn down the power to save my back from exploding. There are a couple others that I think I would have benefited from if I had the FS. Is the Nude2 shock anywhere near as good as the RP23? Should I just suck it up and race the HT and enjoy the efficiency and take a little beating? Or get the FS and unlock it for the bumpy stuff and use the reduced travel/lockout for the rest of the good stuff? What would you do? Both have similar components so that's not really an issue.

Your Best Friend
    The Scale's SDS seatstays do an excellent job of damping trail chatter. That said, it is still a hardtail. I have a bad back but I love my Scale, even after 78 miles at the Park City Point 2 Point.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Have you made any upgrades from Stock with your Scale?

Your Best Friend
    I run different wheels. Chris King hubs/DT Swiss Supercomp Spokes/Arch (rear) and 355 (front). Tires are Schwalbe Rocket Ron front and Maxxis Aspen rear. I am also using Ergon GS1 Leichtbau grips. The bike comes in at 20lbs 14ozs with two carbon bottle cages and a mounted pump. I dream of putting an ENVE wheelset on there but I'll need to win the lottery first.