mtbr member
    Jul 2014

2014 Scott Spark 950 - Busted Free Hub

I have a new Scott spark 950, have about 250 miles on it. Everyting has been great, then last week while riding in breckenridge I ended up busting out the rear free hub (turn the pedals but rear wheel doesn't spin at all). LBS said it was an issue they are starting to see more often.

Supposedly, a bad batch of ring nuts (?) with soft metal, but the replacement is supposed to fix it and be more durable.

I do the simple maintenance myself, but beyond derailuer, brake adjustments and cleaning, I leave the work to the LBS.

I am a clyde at about 235#, normally spin up the steeps, but there are times in the rocks and roots that you gotta mash it out. Dont go downhill fast, and normally keep 2 wheels on the dirt... This bike replaced 2005 Specialized Rockhopper 26" and I never had issues with anything on that bike except the front shock. Got the new bike for the full suspension and the 29" wheels.

Questions:
    Is this something that I should be worried about? Will I tear it up again? Walking back to the trailhead is not fun!

Should I look into a heavier duty hub/wheel? Why should I on a almost new bike!

Thanks
    "A lurker"

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Sounds like a reason for a nice wheelset upgrade \o/.

Most bikes (except the really expensive) come with meh wheelsets and imo are ones to be replaced. Your wheelset has a Shimano non-series FH-M615 hub.

Given your weight you are probably going to want a good quality rear hub at minimum. Happy Shopping!
    2012 Scott Spark 29 Team
    2013 Scott Scale 970
    2011 Scott Speedster S20
    1999 Specialized FSR Comp

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by HockeyDad View Post
    I have a new Scott spark 950, have about 250 miles on it. Everyting has been great, then last week while riding in breckenridge I ended up busting out the rear free hub (turn the pedals but rear wheel doesn't spin at all). LBS said it was an issue they are starting to see more often.

Supposedly, a bad batch of ring nuts (?) with soft metal, but the replacement is supposed to fix it and be more durable.

I do the simple maintenance myself, but beyond derailuer, brake adjustments and cleaning, I leave the work to the LBS.

I am a clyde at about 235#, normally spin up the steeps, but there are times in the rocks and roots that you gotta mash it out. Dont go downhill fast, and normally keep 2 wheels on the dirt... This bike replaced 2005 Specialized Rockhopper 26" and I never had issues with anything on that bike except the front shock. Got the new bike for the full suspension and the 29" wheels.

Questions:
    Is this something that I should be worried about? Will I tear it up again? Walking back to the trailhead is not fun!

Should I look into a heavier duty hub/wheel? Why should I on a almost new bike!

Thanks
    "A lurker"
    I had a different problem with my Genius, I tacoed two front rims so I ended up buying these:Hope Hoops Pro2 Evo 29er Flow Ex Wheelset | Wheels MTB | - Cycle Sports UK

Haven't had any problem since then.
    2012 GT Karakoram
    2013 Scott Genius 940