mtbr member
    Oct 2009

2013 Scott Spark 920 Upgrades

Hi all,

I have a 2013 Spark 920 and am looking to make some upgrades more suited to my riding style. First up - changing out the XT SPD's for a set of MX80 Saint platform pedals and a pair of 5/10s. I am too nervous on the trails with the clipless so have decided to go platform for a while until my skills are more developed.

So the other upgrades I am planning are -

1. Dropper seatpost (31.9mm seatpost) - can I internally route the cables from the bars to the seatpost? I have a jumble of cables there already with the Scott Twinlock lever so one more won't make a difference.

2. Tyre upgrade - I find the Schwalbe Rocket Ron EVO 29"x2.25" not as grippy as I would like on the clay soils here in Sydney. Any recommendations?

Was also thinking of upgrading the bars to carbon - would this be worthwhile?

thanks in advance...

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Hi.

Can't you just adjust the SPDs to unclip easier? I have the Saint flat pedals with 5-10 and they are great but I was thinking to go the other way to Shimano SPDs since you can adjust them to unclip as easy as you want.

Regarding the Reverb if there is an existing hole in your frame for a dropper post then you could route it internally otherwise you can use the standard one. It is not as "clean" as the stealth but it does the job.

As for you tyres do you run tubeless or not? If not it would be a good opportunity to also convert your wheels to tubeless (if it is possible) and I would suggest trying the Bontrager XR4 team issue (tubeless). I have them and I believe that they are great and really grippy. Also they have a 30 days return policy if you don't like them.

Finally why do you want to use a carbon handlebar? Just to save some weight? Non rotating weight is not so important but if you can afford it then why not? I don't know how wide your handlebar is (I suppose 720mm) but maybe you could also consider a wider one for better control.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I have the same bike and I just put on the mx80 saint pedals and I could not be happier! my riding improved a great deal with these pedals. I did make my tires tubeless, I am all stock otherwise. I love this bike!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks for the replies. To answer a couple of the questions -

I have tried loosening the XT pedals and found I got too much float = knee pain for days afterwards. Similarly I went from single release to multi-release cleats on my Speccy shoes and found the same issue. They are as loose as I can make them without getting knee pain but it is still just too much of a delay to get out that it is frying my confidence on the saddle.

Have been looking for a hole in the frame but no luck - I did see another thread in the Scott Sports forum about someone who routed a dropper stealth like on a Spark 7xx and I posted so hopefully he will load some pics soon.

I run tubes - from what I have read the standard Alex/Syncros rims aren't so well suited to tubeless and I lack the technical skill to confidently make the conversion.

Carbon bars to soften the jarring on the trail. Weight I can loose from my fat a**e or man-boobs by riding some more. I have my bars cut down to 680mm which may actually be too narrow given it is a 29er and my skills at maintaining directional stability are questionable. OTOH I like them narrow to get between trees.