Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

2013 Scott Genius 910 Review

I figured I would give a detailed review of the bike and start a new thread.

The main reason I got this bike over other bikes is the ability to lockout the rear suspension and change the geometry. I recently came off a 2012 Specialized Epic. I was in between a medium and large. I ended up going with a large and a shorter stem. The bike never quite felt right, especially descending. My other bikes are a single speed Specialized Carve and a Trek Remedy. My main goal with this bike was to have a bike that I could trail ride, race, ride Moab, etc. One bike to rule them all. I will never give up my single speed though. That is bike that is so much fun to ride. I ended up selling the Epic and I'm in the process of selling the Remedy.

When I finally received this bike, the shop forgot to give me the tubeless conversion and Reverb kit. No big deal however the DT Swiss conversion kit is terrible. I have been running tubelss for 7 years now and I never had a harder setting up these tires and wheelset to tubeless. The Nobby Nics leak like sieve. Combine that with a leaky rim strip and tire and you are talking hours to convert. I gave up and went the stan's method. Quick and easy. Took an hour but then an additional 3 days for the tires to stop leaking and sealing up tight. In my expereince with tires the Nobby Nic is the worst tire I have ever encounted, but more on that later. Each tire had ~50 pin hole leaks with crap beads that leaked air also.

The bike was also set up with the longest hoses and cables I have ever seen on bike. I ended up cutting them down significantly. I should of had the shop do it, but I enjoyed learning about the bike and how easy it is working on SHimano brakes. The only hose I haven't cut down is the Reverb post. The twinloc hoses were so long, but it was a great learning experience to see first hand how the twinloc operates the fork and shock.

The bike with XTR pedals weighs 27.4 lbs and with my heavy flat pedals weighs 28.3 lbs. The (3) modifications I made to the bike is I put ESI Chunky grips on, set the bike tubeless and put on my XTR trail brakes.(These are seriously the best brakes out there)

Ok enough rambling. How did it ride?

I ride in Colorado and consider myself an advanced intermediate to expert. I race Cat 2 MTB in Colorado.(10-12 races a year) I'm 5'10.5 and I weight 147lbs. I take biking very seriously. I also take the training aspect very seriously. I love it and I can say I'm addicted to riding a bike.

So....... the bike rides very well. The strongest point is it climbs like a 4" travel hardtail that weighs 28 lbs.The lockout is great. In its lock position the bike is hardtail, it doesn't move. Really. You can get up stand on the pedals and the bike is rigid. Maybe a clydsdale can move the bike, but I can't. Trail mode is great for rocky climbs. Works as advertised. I rarely ever used the descend mode while I was climbing. The bike rips going downhill where there a smaller bumps and straighter lines or sweeping curves. I didn't feel any immediate flex in the fork, compared to other forks I have ridden. I thought this was going to be a concern. It wasn't; at least for a guy my size. If you weigh 250 lbs , your results may vary. The bike was solid and very stiff. I initally had the bars way to high. I took out all the spacers and slamed the stem. It still feels high and I want a -10° stem to lower it even more. After a while the twinloc became second nature and I use it way more than the reverb.

Now the bad. First the Nobby Nics are terrible. I know they might be good somewhere(I wish I knew where somewhere was) but for Colorados varied terrain they suck. I have never encounted a tire that is as bad on rocks(think moab) or water bars. They are like ice. The side knobs flex alot. I also blame this on the skinniest rims I have ever seen on a trail bike. They are 17mm. Yes that is correct, a 17mm rim on a trail/All Mountain bike. What was Scott thinking? I can't wait to try this bike with my Specialized Rovals SL's. I only use these rims for racing but might give them a try real soon.I have tried the Hans Dampf and know they are a good tire. I'm selling these tires ASAP and either putting on Ardents or Purgtory's. I have a lot experience with these tires. I have used Ardents, Purgs, Ground Control(Great all around tire), Fast Traks, Renegads, Bontrager XR4 and FR3's. These NN are the worst. I'm going to write Schwalbe a quick email and tell them about these. They are not tubeless ready as advertised unless your ideas it wait 3 days for the tires to finally plug with sealant.

The next problem is the shock. Alot of what has been said about the shock is true. It is not supple, but I don't think this is bad. You have to go about 5-7 lower on the PSI than the softest setting they recommend. If you use the twinloc the bike works well. This shock is stiffer than a RP23,but what it gives up with it small bump complience it makes up climbing. The other problem I have been having is with the fork. This fork needs alot of time to brake in. I downloaded the new Fox iphone app and been using it religiously but I have a major problem with setting up the fork to eliminate fork dive and small bump performance. If I go heavier on the PSI it works great for high speed descending, but hates small bumps. If I lower the PSI it works great for small bumps and is plush but is terrible at braking and get too far it it stroke and packs up. It has been getting better though as it breaks in. I'm at 75PSI. I started at 80 PSI and went down to 70 PSI. Next time I go out I bringing up the pressure back to 80 PSI.

So here are the things I would change for the 2014 model. A plusher shock would be nice, but I don't think it is a deal breaker. The shock has some real nice qualities. The next thing is I would ditch those Nobby Nics and put any other tires on the market on the bike. I don't care if they a Cheng Sung slicks. They are probably better. They are that terrible. DT Swiss puts out a 19.5mm rim for 29"bike. Use that rim. I'm offended you put a 17mm wide rim on a trail bike. I also think if you pay $5000 dollars and the wheelset is a DT Swiss it should at least have the ratchett system. The other thing is the Fox fork likes to dive alot during braking in descend mode. I have seen reviews on this and it is true on this bike. I don't blame this on Scott. This is a Fox problem and I bet you they will revise their damping curves for 2014 on the CTD forks.

So in a nutshell this bike is real good, but does have some flaws. (Wheelset, tires, fork) I personally think the shock is good. I know it has gotten bad press but compared to the Epic shock, it is way better. The bike fits like a glove in a medium. I'm guessing the bike will be around 26lbs even when I set it up for racing.

Thank you for reading.
    Erik
    Last edited by bedell99; 03-17-2013 at 04:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Thanks for your comprehensive review.

mtbr member
    I have a buddy with both a Spark Expert and a new Genius 710, it amazes me that Scott puts such crappy wheels on decent bikes, they are thin, soft, & heavy. I wonder what your bike would weigh with a decent set of American Classic or Stan's Crest wheels (which really cant cost Scott anymore then the DT Dwiss crapola) plus remove the twinloc and extra 7 feet of cable and housing. I cant stand looking at 7 cables coming off the handlebars. With the rear shock in its current location, using your hand to switch lever positions is not difficult.

mtbr member

Next week I will put on my Roval SLs on the bike. I'm waiting on a 180mm rotor for the rear. I currently have a 160mm rotor on the rear. I have the Roval set up with 2.2 Maxxis Ikons. I also have -10 stem coming. I personally love the Twinloc. On the Rovals I also have a XTR cassette.

I agree with you. The wheelset for how much this bike costs sucks. If you compare this bike to a Specialized Stumpie it has a crap wheelset while the Genius has a much better component specification.

Erik

mtbr member
    Twinloc is just too gizmo for me. Wait until you crash and snap it off your bars and you have to wait two weeks to get one from Scott or you strip one of the tiny set screws or the DT Swiss reducer ball joints blow up. What I'm trying to say is they use too many proprietary parts on their bikes, break something and you just cant go down to the shop or jump online and order one, my buddy has been on Scott's for a few years now and I've seen all these things happen a few times.

mtbr member

Re: 2013 Scott Genius 910 Review

Great write up.

I haven't used the stock tires or wheels and I hear ya on the fork. How much travel do you get out of the fork in locked out mode? Mine seems to have softened up and I checked psi and its still same.

Rear shock is great for reasons you meantioned even for a Clyde. True lockout when on and I'm 245lbs. I've got it setup soft... The recommended setting was way too harsh and I never got through half the travel on gnarly stuff.

I'd live for magura to come out with a compatible fork. The fox is great but for reasons as mentioned you have to make a compromise when deciding on setup.

I destroyed my rear rim embarrassingly by falling knee first into it when crossing a fence. Chinese carbon wide versions in the way so flow ex width should work nicely. Currently have arch ex with ikon 2.2 f/r. Was running chunkier tires and have some purgatories on order but the ikons at the right pressure are hard to beat.

Let's see some pics of that thing on the trails!
    Scott Genius 910 tricked out as much as I could without getting a divorce

mtbr member

One more thing. On the twinloc, I use it a ton. That and the dropper both. But I'm hoping to swap the fork someday. Would prefer to retain a lockout on the fork but would settle for a properly tuned setup that i just leave be. Wouldn't give up the three settings on the shock for anything though.

mtbr member
    Same here with Ikons. I use them as my race tire. I have the bike set up with my Rovals and XTR and the bike weighs 26.8 lbs ready to race. Not to bad. I can't wait to try out the bike but it won't be until mid next week until my next ride due to the large storm we just had. i will take some pics and post them.

I'm still undecided if I'm going to race with Reverb this year. It will drop another lb but I give up decending time. I think with the time you gain on the decents it is worth a 1 lb.

Erik

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bedell99 View Post
    Same here with Ikons. I use them as my race tire. I have the bike set up with my Rovals and XTR and the bike weighs 26.8 lbs ready to race. Not to bad. I can't wait to try out the bike but it won't be until mid next week until my next ride due to the large storm we just had. i will take some pics and post them.

I'm still undecided if I'm going to race with Reverb this year. It will drop another lb but I give up decending time. I think with the time you gain on the decents it is worth a 1 lb.

Erik
    what did you change besides wheels? medium?

what tires you running for non race? not the nobby nics i take it after your report!

ive got some new time carbon 8 xc pedals coming to swap my boat anchor time atac that ive always run since switching over from bmx type riding.

i dont think i could give up the dropper. understand losing a pound but the freedom it offers is worth it id say. what races do you do? xc or other stuff as well?

mtbr member

I'm working on weight weenie status to contest you Erik

After replacing the rims with Chinese carbon widers:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by weaverwins View Post
    what did you change besides wheels? medium?

what tires you running for non race? not the nobby nics i take it after your report!

ive got some new time carbon 8 xc pedals coming to swap my boat anchor time atac that ive always run since switching over from bmx type riding.

i dont think i could give up the dropper. understand losing a pound but the freedom it offers is worth it id say. what races do you do? xc or other stuff as well?
    Wow its getting lighter. I'm not really into the weight thing however I will use this bike for some races this season.

I haven't been riding this bike in the last 2 weeks because of the snow and mud in Colorado. I will get out on it tomorrow and Thursday. I'm running a medium with Ikon's and almost all XTR except crank and front derailleur.

I used the XT stuff to put on my Carve SS. I'm setting that up as a 1x10 for fast XC courses this summer.

Erik

mtbr member
    Wow its getting lighter. I'm not really into the weight thing however I will use this bike for some races this season.

I haven't been riding this bike in the last 2 weeks because of the snow and mud in Colorado. I will get out on it tomorrow and Thursday. I'm running a medium with Ikon's and almost all XTR except crank and front derailleur.

I used the XT stuff to put on my Carve SS. I'm setting that up as a 1x10 for fast XC courses this summer.

Erik
    you cant say youre not into the weight thing when youre running rovals and XTR

blow us up with some trail pics when you get it out. I'm hoping to get an out of state mtb trip in after Summer

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thanks for wolv275 for giving me a nudge to comment on the 910, which arrived about a month ago. I'm still working the suspension out. It was a long wait for the delivery, and towards the end I started to get a stir crazy - "should I upgrade the wheels", etc. My LBS was understanding, but convinced me to ride it stock and wait till I had a good chance to understand the bike.

The only issue that I have had so far was the creaking Nude2, however a quick search of the internet, and posting in hand, my LBS readjusted the TwinLoc cable and I have been good to go ever since. I have been starting low on the pressure, both front and back as I thought I saw a trend on the net. My son has been encouraging me to push the pressure up and I'm now within Fox parameters up front and at Scott "soft" out back. A couple more rides and I think it will be good to "set and forget".

A few comments about why I bought this bike. My priority is climbing performance at the expense of everything else. My goals this season are 1) to get over that last root just before the top of the hill - my nemesis, and 2) to catch my son on the climbs on our "friendlies" this summer. I was a bit surprised by the stem length (that and the width of the handlebars) when I took delivery, but so far everything seems to be working for me, and I have cleaned a few sections of trail that have previously been challenging. It has also been an undertaking coordinating all the adjustments on the fly - Twinloc and dropper post, but it is now becoming second nature.

Coming from a competitive rowing background, we always had to be prepared to row in whatever shell was available, and I never "test drove" any single skull prior to purchase, so this bike was bought unseen, after research and upon the advice of one of my LBS. So far, everything seems to be working for me and I've been happy with the design and performance.

And yes, the bike is still all stock, except for a) my swiss sheep bell, which mounts under seat for areas where bells are mandated, and where hikers can be spooked, and b) a RAM EZ-Strap™ Mount for my Garmin Oregon, when we are going backcountry (nice because it is removable within seconds - less clutter on the handlebars when it isn't needed).

Here are the current pressures/setup:
    Me: 5'10 1/2" 176lb loaded
    Bike: Scott Genius 910 size M stock, Adjustible BB height:high, Tires:Schwalbe Nobby Nic with tubes:25psi, Shock:95' rear 80' front

Kegor

mtbr member
    I wanted to give an update of my review because I have been riding and racing the bike.

A couple of things:

I can't get this shock working right. Now that I have been riding the bike exclusively I constantly fiddle with the shock. I love the lockout, absolutely hate the trail mode(No small bump compliance) and don't understand why I can't get full travel in the descend mode.

I race expert. I consider myself a pretty good rider and I can't for the life of me get this shock to click. When I first got the bike I didn't push it on the downhills like how you push it in a race. Especially races that are super rocky and rooty. The shock just doesn't have small bump compliance in descend or traction mode. It feels super slow to react. I have messed with rebound, the sag, the air pressures and just can't get it right.

Next the fork is making some crazy sounds in trail mode. It sounds like a squeak. I think I need to re-clock the CTD. This started 2 rides ago. I was thinking it was seals but it only does it in traction mode.

I still love the way this bike climbs. Its great. Make sure you adjust your twinlock cable tension on the shock as you ride the bike more. I was getting a terrible creak in the shock in traction mode and it was due to the cable tension. It needs to line up between the 2 hash marks on the pulley on the shock.

I use the twinlock all the time. Its second nature now. I actually took off the reverb for racing although I don miss it. The bike is set up as a 1x10. Love this setup.

Erik

mtbr member

Great update Erik. I'm running the rear rather soft and still can't bottom it out. Im planning on replacing the fork with the new magura coming out and may consider swapping the shock out too if more fiddling doesn't produce better results.

mtbr member
    Another update:

Fork needed to be clocked and the cable tension adjusted. Go on the Fox Racing Shocks website under the technical section and it has a "how too" section on reclocking the CTD for the fork and Twinlock. Some how it became miss adjusted . It stopped the squeak right away.

Erik

mtbr member
    I can't get this shock working right. Now that I have been riding the bike exclusively I constantly fiddle with the shock. I love the lockout, absolutely hate the trail mode(No small bump compliance) and don't understand why I can't get full travel in the descend mode.
    im considering swapping out the shock at some point. Magura is coming out with their 140mm 29er fork and I'm psyched on that but am undecided on what shock I'd swap to and havent had time to research it yet as I'm slammed with work till mid Aug. I'm guessing a Fox CTD with lockout would be better with small bump compliance but that's only a guess.

swb employee
    Dec 2011
    i love how people bad mouth this bike. the reality is that the people talking this bike down are people either caught up in marketing schemes or you just cant adapt to the equipment. this bike is a better value than a comparable specialized, trek, cannondale, etc... as for the wheels, id rather have scott spec my components higher end and skimp on my wheels then skimp on my components and try telling me that the in-house wheels are quality because there rims are wider. anyone who is into it will upgrade there wheels anyway so who really cares right?

mtbr member

Who is bad mouthing? It comes spec'd amazing and I agree that wheels are the first thing people swap anyhow. My reasons for part swapping were preference not need. The thought of magura front and rear with twinloc is appealing but I'd be happy with the bike for anywhere as is for sure. If my comments were taken as "bad mouthing" the bike then I didn't communicate it well.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Good review, Erik. The first thing I told myself was, "WTF, Scott....17mm wide wheels???" Otherwise, the bike did ride pretty sweet.

I also might add Scott has a bad rep for honoring warranty claims, IMHO.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

swb employee
    Dec 2011
    scott doesnt have a bad rep for honoring warranties. shops have bad reps for taking advantages of warranties. if a sho[ cries wolf for customers too often then scott turns there back more often. but when its a real warranty then there on top of it and then some. i seen someone who folded a rear chainstay and got a warranty frame in 2 weeks and it was an upgrade to the hmx carbon frame from the hmf just for the hassel. felt has the bad rep.. they didnt even ask for a pic of the damage, they just said because it was in the center of the seatstay that its not a failure and there hands are tied but they could sell a frame at cost if you wanted..? thats horrible...2 week old bike by the way... also i wasnt talking about swapping out parts for preferance. i got my genius and before i rode it i went tubeless, added a bashguard, chopped down my chain, swapped my cassette for an xt, and already looking at syncros carbon wheels. It's the person that says its a bad bike because it didnt come the way they wanted it. thats what i dont get. its a bad bike when the price doesnt match up to the value. when there adding specialized cranks, tires, and roval wheels instead of shimano, schwalbe, and mavic but the price is just as high if not higher. ill shut up, im ranting..haha sorry guys

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    ^I personally know three former Scott riders(Two Road, One MTB) who got their warranty claims denied flat out, by Scott. All their frame failures occurred from normal use and NOT from crashes. The other European company that has the same bad rep for honoring claims is good ole' Mavic....
    Last edited by Zachariah; 07-11-2013 at 01:02 PM.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

swb employee
    Dec 2011
    thats odd..? it has to be due to the shop. and as for mavic, yes, there tough but they have there reasons. they have a mp3 plan they want to take hold. its insurance for your products. when you purchase something from them you have register it online on the mavic site and pay a percentage of the cost of the product for insurance. no questions asked. ive kicked up a rock the size of my head and snapped a spoke and literally dented a hole in my rim so big it was unridable. the bike shop boxed it, shipped it, and new wheel in 2 weeks.. cost of shipping only. check it out to all that are interested in any mavic products. but a bad story i heard about was from trek not too long ago. the guy snapped his carbon hardtail going through a short rock garden and when he went to the local shop to tell him what happened, the guy said its not a warranty because the hardtail wasnt designed to ride that rough a terrain..? the guy forced him to call it in and sure enough he didnt get anywhere with it. but im sure the shop owner didnt help...

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    How do think the bike performs in XC-races? And what is your weight with 1x10 and without dropper post?

I thinking of bying this bike as well instead of a Spark 910. I want a bike for everything (like you), but I also want a bike that feels light and quick in races. Do you think that your bike does that well? Does it feel slow and heavy?

Simen

mtbr member

It did real well, it depends on your course. The rougher the course the better. I race all the winter park races in colorado and it is perfect for these. What is your height and What size are you thinking? I like the genius better than the spark and I have ride both.

Erik

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast