mtbr member
    Jun 2009

2012 Spark Comp/Team

I can't really find much personal experience info on these. Anyone have any experience? Good or Bad, doesn't matter. I'm told they're in high demand with short supply, but nobody's talking about them. Tell me something Please! Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Scott Scale Team

I just put down my deposit on the Team bike yesterday. I tested the Comp at my LBS, but they didn't have the Team. I would love to get the Elite, but it's out of my price range. I almost bought the Comp right there on the spot. I found a Team to test out in another city and had to look at it before I bought (only a $300 difference in price). It just so happened the dealer was running a 10% off sale, so that sealed the deal for me on the Team. I pick it up next week, and I can't wait to hit the trails. I'm 38, and haven't mountain biked in more than 10 years. Hope this baby keeps me going. My buddy just bought the Elite, and he loves it. We will be riding together soon, and I will compare the two. Hope I don't kick myself in the rear for not getting the Elite. Good luck finding your bike. Scott dealers get ticked off at them because they always run out of bikes too early in the season. You will probably not be able to find both bikes at the same shop in your size.

Will report back next weekend after my inaugural ride!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    In my brutal honest opinion. I think the team isn't good value especially when you consider the small price gap of the Elite. For the extra $400 between Comp to Team, you really aren't getting much. However the extra $400 from Team to Elite, you get a whole lot more bang for your buck. 2012 Shimano XT, better brakeset, better fork Reba RL, etc etc.

Now however, if your budget limits to as high as the Team, then obviously go with the Team.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thanks for the input. This is an incredibly tough decision. Like many have posted before, where do you stop? I know the Elite is probably my best bet, but it's tough to pony up another $400. However, the fork alone is more than that to upgrade. Really tough call all things considered. I guess I need to call my guy to see if he has an Elite. Thanks again for the input.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I get it all the time at the shop I work at. The customers that purchase the elite always come back to thank me for pushing them on the elite instead of the team.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Switched to the Elite today. Your advice was sound, and made too much sense. Can't wait to pick it up and ride. Do you have a pedal recommendation? I'm going to make the move to clip in pedals. I'm not a big fan of the shoes, but I found a pair of Scott Boa Trails that I liked though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Shimano or Crankbrothers Candy pedals.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonTider View Post
    Switched to the Elite today. Your advice was sound, and made too much sense. Can't wait to pick it up and ride. Do you have a pedal recommendation? I'm going to make the move to clip in pedals. I'm not a big fan of the shoes, but I found a pair of Scott Boa Trails that I liked though.
    Great move taking pumakings advice and going for the Elite. Its a steel for only $400.00 more, you are going to love it. Congrats

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I was really hoping for Spark 29er Team riders to chime in here. I am looking at this bike to replace my fourteen year old Y11. I'm not a hard core rider but want something more updated with disk brakes. I test rode both the Comp and Team and liked both bikes. I looking at the Team over the Comp because of the lockout easily accessible on the bars. Right now REI sells the Elite for $2629 and the Team for $2099. My budget is $2000. I'm hoping that the next 15% off REI sale will include Scott as well and if that is the case the Team will fall within my budget.

The Y11 has been a great, rock solid, bike but I've not heard much about Scott in general and even less about the 29er Team. Are there any Team owners out there that can share their experience with this particular bike? The Elite looks like a great bike but I'm not sure the $530 (plus tax) would be worth the extra expense for my riding style.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I have a Team and love it. Sometimes I do wish I went for the Elite but the Team is such a huge step up over my old bike (26" Hardrock with v-brakes) it's really not that big of a deal. I think it is absolutely worth getting the Team over the Comp as you get the remote lockout and air fork. My only complaint about the bike is the awful seat, I swapped it out with the one from my Hardrock.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by JonMX5 View Post
    I have a Team and love it. Sometimes I do wish I went for the Elite but the Team is such a huge step up over my old bike (26" Hardrock with v-brakes) it's really not that big of a deal. I think it is absolutely worth getting the Team over the Comp as you get the remote lockout and air fork. My only complaint about the bike is the awful seat, I swapped it out with the one from my Hardrock.

Thank you very much! I just placed the order and after everything got it for $1859.92 which is just a little more than the Comp would have been after taxes. It will take a week or so to get here and be built but I'm pretty excited! I agree about the seat and will change it out. The only other thing I want to look at is getting a Reverb post. Maybe later in the summer for that one. Now time to sell the Y11.

Cheers,
    Robert

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Nice deal! I paid just a little over $2k for mine from a local shop. I don't mind supporting them though