Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012

2012 Scott Spark Expert 29er Frame Broke!!!!

Here is what just happened to my 2012 Scott Spark Expert 29er. this seems to be a normal thing for Scott after doing some research. Took to the bike shop where I bought the bike about 6 months ago, and told the owner. That it has nothing to do with him, but I dont want the bike back. See this is not the first thing to go wrong with the Scott. I had to replace the rear triangle a few months back. Now the swing arm as broke where it seems all the others have broke. He called the Scott rep. Here is Scott's offer: they will replace the swing arm FOC or give the shop a credit for what he paid for the bike, (not what I paid for it) I really am having some trouble with wanting this bike back. How can I trust that something else want break. I had a 2007 Gary Fisher, that went though alot and it never broke. I just dont know if I want another Scott or not.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Why not ask for a spark 2013 and hope that they have fixed the swing arm problem?

DaFaJa
    sweet jesus
    2012 Trek Superfly 100 Carbon/ xx1 / xo type2
    Tampa FL USA

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rularn View Post
    Why not ask for a spark 2013 and hope that they have fixed the swing arm problem?
    There is no swing-arm problem. This is the 2nd chain-stay that I've seen break from the new generation. The older Sparks were notorious for broken swing-arms, not these.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    But I've seen only 29ers broken , no 26er right?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    No clue, 26er sales have been so low, its hard to say.

Big Boy
    rider weight and riding style? what were you doing when the chainstay snapped?
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    There is def a problem with these chain stays. Check out this ebay auction I saw 2012 Scott Spark 29 Expert Medium w/ 2013 Scott Spark 920 Parts - Free shipping | eBay ......This reminds me of the composite rear ends cracking on the cannondales of the late 90's-2000's which they ended up replacing all with a revamped Alu rear end. I wonder if Scott will have to do this.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by texasnavy05 View Post
    rider weight and riding style? what were you doing when the chainstay snapped?
    I agree...these are XC bikes and it all depends on what the rider is doing as well as weight etc.

Not implying anything here just need to know all the facts first. In any case it doesn't matter this guy is not going to be riding a Scott ever again.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ddouble518 View Post
    There is def a problem with these chain stays. Check out this ebay auction I saw 2012 Scott Spark 29 Expert Medium w/ 2013 Scott Spark 920 Parts - Free shipping | eBay ......This reminds me of the composite rear ends cracking on the cannondales of the late 90's-2000's which they ended up replacing all with a revamped Alu rear end. I wonder if Scott will have to do this.
    I dont get it? a guy selling a spark means there is something wrong with them?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ddouble518 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rlucky82 View Post
    The guy selling the bike on eBay looks to be pumaking, so let's see what he has to say.. scroll up, haha.

Hopefully this is an isolated issue. It looks like there may have been some quality control issues with the hydro-forming of the chain-stay tubes.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rlucky82 View Post
    The picture of his non drive chainstay looked crushed maybe not. IDK the seller looks to be a member here by the name of pumaking.
    Last edited by ddouble518; 08-28-2012 at 11:40 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Yes, that is my auction. The spare chainstay is just that a spare. Remember in my thread I upgraded my chainstay to the solid rear axle because the expert comes with the standard quick release.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Scary. I hope this never happens to anyone I know.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    And this is why I don't ride CF frames. I've seen so many broken CF frames, road + mountain, and it always surprises me people keep on buying them.

The burly carbon frames like Nomad and Mojo are one thing, but the ultra-light construction on the xc race bikes scares me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Was that a crash? Looks like you had an impact and hit the crank arm end on the chain stay.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by elgatovolador View Post
    And this is why I don't ride CF frames. I've seen so many broken CF frames, road + mountain, and it always surprises me people keep on buying them.

The burly carbon frames like Nomad and Mojo are one thing, but the ultra-light construction on the xc race bikes scares me.
    While you are entitled to your opinion, you should be aware that all the Sparks, except for the RC model use an aluminium rear triangle, including the Expert with the broken chainstay pictured above.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

You've seen so many broken CF frames? Really? I didn't know many people own them. You do realize that CF bikes are still pretty damn expensive and that they are still very rare, right?

Did you know CF is stronger, more rigid and lighter then alloy? It's already been proven that CF MTB bike's are here to stay.

The real issue is not that they can break but that they are just way too expensive to buy and repair if damaged. Also both Alloy and CF can break, bend or crack. Your perception is out of touch with reality.

I don't believe you've ever seen a lot of broken CF frames like you claim. You just hate them because you can't afford to get one yourself.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

the broken part is aluminum, moron.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pumaking View Post
    There is no swing-arm problem. This is the 2nd chain-stay that I've seen break from the new generation. The older Sparks were notorious for broken swing-arms, not these.
    Well...mine just broke tonight in the exact same spot.

Hopefully Chain Reaction in Gainesville will take care of it tomorrow.

Have you seen anymore of these problems Pumaking?

Thanks,Jared

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Ride style? I just jought one today versus a tallboy. Yikes!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    My riding style is mostly xc, with some small jumps here and there. I ride some technical trails at Santos in Ocala, FL and that is where the break happened. I am a Clydesdale at 250, but don't think that is what caused the break. There are 2 reports of the same break in the same spot from guys lighter than me.

I really like the bike, and hope Scott takes care of it. I have had it just under a year.

Jared

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Hopefully the bike gives me a trouble free year. Ill be riding the trans fondo and bow 80 on it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Got mine back today, hope the new swingarm holds up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast