Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I've seen only 2 break so far in South Florida. They broke in the same park, Markham Park. Unfortunately the 2 riders are not smooth and really rough on the bike. My guess is that the wheel and swingarm flexed in opposite direction causing the swing arm to break there. The stock wheels unfortunately are wet noodles, and the 9mm skewers just add insult to injury. If you guys have the means, I definitely recommend upgrading to a solid rear axle chainstay/wheel combo, atleast a DT Swiss RWS 10x135.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Hey guys, I was going to buy a 2012 Spark Expert locally ( its in new shape) My reason is to get rid of all the extra pounds moving to Tennessee and eating caused. I am 245lbs and 50, and after reading this thread while researching the bike has me a bit scared. WHere I ride requires only small drops 1 foot and under. Will my weight take out the rear ?? If I lose all the weight i am still going to be about 200. Current ride is an Older Fischer Sugar, no major problems.

mtbr member
    Does anybody know if this problem is also an issue with the Genius models, Just order a Genius 930 and I am scared this can happen to my new bike..

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jegyed View Post
    Hey guys, I was going to buy a 2012 Spark Expert locally ( its in new shape) My reason is to get rid of all the extra pounds moving to Tennessee and eating caused. I am 245lbs and 50, and after reading this thread while researching the bike has me a bit scared. WHere I ride requires only small drops 1 foot and under. Will my weight take out the rear ?? If I lose all the weight i am still going to be about 200. Current ride is an Older Fischer Sugar, no major problems.
    Forums can give the illusion that most of the bikes are having the same issue. There are a few times when you see a lot of the same type of issues occurring over and over on forums and you should be concerned. I've noticed that in a lot of the forums for other bikes like Trek, Specialized, Giant etc etc all have people complaining about their frame cracking or bending. I wouldn't be too worried about the frame as it's not as common as you would think.

I would like to add that if you currently weigh 245lbs and ride a Spark or Genius you do run the risk of damaging the shock or other parts of the bike. I would definitely drop the weight first then drop your hard earned dollars on a new bike with dual suspension.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I just had the exact same thing happen to my 2012 spark expert 29. Does anyone know if the replacement swing arms are better engineered? Slightly unnerving as I have some gnarly and rough races coming up.

mtbr member
    I have a 2012 spark elite fs first the front rok shok reba stabilizer snapped and the front axle. Now last week the frame snapped lower chain stay. I ride fairly challenging single track trail in PA I weigh 195 lbs. This is my first 29 er and fist full suspension bike. Not a big fan now.
    1988 GT Timberline R 26"
    1999 Cannodale F-500 HT 26"
    2005 Scott Scale 60 HT 26"
    2012 Scott Spark 29 Elite FS

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    How is that main pivot? Is it moving freely?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    2012 Scott Spark 29 Team
    2013 Scott Scale 970
    2011 Scott Speedster S20
    1999 Specialized FSR Comp

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Any experience with frame issues on the 2014 Scott SParks? I'm looking at a demo Spark 900 premium which does not have a warranty. The bike is 60% off MSRP, my dream bike, and in my price range with the discount. Would you go for it or instead buy a 930 at $800 off MSRP that includes a warranty? I'm currently without a MTB and anxious to pull the trigger but having a tough time making this decision. Any help is grately appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    What size and where? I might be interested if you get cold feet. PM me, please. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Did Chain Reaction in Gainesville take care of you? What bike do you have? I'm considering buying a Spark 920 from Chain Reaction.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    FYI I actually bought a used 2012 Scott Spark 29 Team...

It was advertised as "well maintained"...NOT. It was a mess.

Found a crack in the chainstay bridge... because the previous owner didn't keep the main pivots properly tightened. Had LBS tightened them... 661 miles later and still solid.

This bike had been around the block a lot before I got it, i mean the fork lock out housing rubbed a groove into the alu crown! I upgraded the shock 200 miles ago because it stopped holding air, also rebuilt the fork.

Still love my used and beatup Spark!!!!
    2012 Scott Spark 29 Team
    2013 Scott Scale 970
    2011 Scott Speedster S20
    1999 Specialized FSR Comp

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2