Always Learning

2012 Scott Spark Elite 29 - what would you pay for a new one?

Just as the title says. There is a local shop that has a 2012 Scott Elite 29"er marked down quite a bit from the MSRP as they make room for the 2013 models. Or at least I think it is marked down quite a bit (they have it on sale for $1800). It's been out on a test ride or two, but is really in brand new shape.

I'm just sort of toying it over as I don't really need it, but sometimes sales can be a nice way to move up in technology. I see that I would most likely upgrade the wheels and tires immediately (the Rocket Rons are the low end 67 tpi and if they are even a true 2.0 I would be shocked as they are really narrow). I'm catching up on reviews about the bike at the moment.

Just curious if anyone has seen one of these 2012 Elites out on the floor marked down and what I might be able to realistically offer for it.

TIA

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Whatever feedback you get, USD 1'800 is great price for that bike. I have one at full price here in Switzerland which translates to $ 3'000!! They gave me 800 CHF trade in on my old Trek Fuel and used that to upgrade the rims to DTSwiss. It is a fine handling machine and if you race marathons you're good to go. The only complant is that the seals failed in the DTSwiss rear shock after 5 months, but I got a temp replacement and all was covered. Enjoy if you buy.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by osorio View Post
    Whatever feedback you get, USD 1'800 is great price for that bike. I have one at full price here in Switzerland which translates to $ 3'000!! They gave me 800 CHF trade in on my old Trek Fuel and used that to upgrade the rims to DTSwiss. It is a fine handling machine and if you race marathons you're good to go. The only complant is that the seals failed in the DTSwiss rear shock after 5 months, but I got a temp replacement and all was covered. Enjoy if you buy.
    Yes, parts alone with the frame are a pretty good deal. The particular bike shop that has it on clearance is only ordering Scott HT's for 2013 as they were not able to sell the FS bikes as initially thought. It's a sporting goods store and bikes are only one of the many items they carry within the store. Timing is never right as I've got about another year on my current alloy FS frame. Nothing ever seems to be on clearance when I need it.