Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

2012 Scott Spark 29 Carbon Pics

The Pro's/Expert arrived today, built one up for a customer, may build mine soon. Pic of the Pro, Expert I might build tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Nice! I would be interested to see a real world weight for the expert model if you get a chance.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    odd looking paint/carbon on the top tube.. is it actually like that or is it the picture?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thats actually the cosmetic carbon layer. This is visible on every bike. Just the way they bonded the top layer.

Here's my new bike, Spark 29 Expert. This was the only medium we had left over, all the pro's were sold so my boss let me snatch this up.

Bought a new work stand to go with the build.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    nice ride!
    so how many pros did you all sell ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I think we received like 6. Along with a bunch of experts, elite's, comps, etc etc. Customer came and picked up 2 Medium Spark Pro's, and 1 Scale 29 medium Pro.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    wow, they really are selling like crazy!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Yea, we just got them in yesterday. Less than 4 hours go by, we didn't even unload them from the pallet. Customer asks for a Spark Pro in L. We joked around and said if he wants it, unpack the pallet and bring all the bikes in. Turns out he wanted it so bad that he did unpack it, brought all the boxes in. Built his bike which is the pic you see up there.

His was a large and with the Fox fork and heavy pedals he used, bike weighed in at 26lbs flat/even.

mtbr member
    I hope those were 1.5 lb pedals. That bike is supposed to come in at 24.5.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by XC62701 View Post
    I hope those were 1.5 lb pedals. That bike is supposed to come in at 24.5.
    That Fox fork probably weighs more than the stock SID. Also, I think 24.5lbs is for the medium frame.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Nice eye. Didn't even see that fox on there. I'm a fox lover as well but I'm not sure I'd ditch it with the availability of the remote lockout on the SID. I'm going back and forth with the decision between the Spark 29 Pro, Scale Pro, and Scale RC. I want to try the FS but don't want too much of a weight penalty.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    They look lovely can't wait for my spark 29 rc frame to arrive here in the UK !

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    My medium Spark 29 Expert came in at 26lbs flat. This is the way it comes out of the box.

I'm confident I can get it down to 22lbs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by pumaking View Post
    My medium Spark 29 Expert came in at 26lbs flat. This is the way it comes out of the box.

I'm confident I can get it down to 22lbs.

Is that 26lbs with the pd-m540 pedals included? I ask because the online spec says it comes with those pedals.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    No I didn't weigh with the pedals and yes they come with them.

Anyone interested in a Scale Expert/Pro :P

mtbr member
    Any ride reports on these yet?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    ^^^^ Yes!!!, some reports would be great, and maybe some comparisons to some of the other popular 29er's out there: ie The Tallboy, RumbleFish etc.. Awesome looking bike though..

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    All I can say is Damn!!!.

The way this bike rides is incredible. Probably the best full suspension bike I've used. The climbing on this is spectacular.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Selling any frames only? Pro?

Chris

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Smile

I just ordered a Spark Pro last week from my LBS - they stated bike would arrive in Feb! How did you get yours in so quickly?

Looks amazing!!!! I am pumped!!!

I might order one (Spark Jr 20") for my 6 year old.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    BTW - I am new to Mtn Biking, what pedals do you recommend?

Your Best Friend
    Does that mean you are new to clipless pedals also? If so, start with some flats and get comfortable with your bike first. Since it sounds like you got a fairly high end bike, I'll assume you want some quality clipless pedals. Lots of people like Crank Bros. pedals. They are fairly light and cheap. I like Xpedo for the same reason but I like the SPD interface better.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in South West Utah

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Does that mean you are new to clipless pedals also? If so, start with some flats and get comfortable with your bike first. Since it sounds like you got a fairly high end bike, I'll assume you want some quality clipless pedals. Lots of people like Crank Bros. pedals. They are fairly light and cheap. I like Xpedo for the same reason but I like the SPD interface better.
    Thanks - I am a serious roadie and have ridden speedplay x3 years. I am a bit of a weight weenie so what do you think are the lightest (without breaking the bank and upsetting the wife)?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakeandbake View Post
    I just ordered a Spark Pro last week from my LBS - they stated bike would arrive in Feb! How did you get yours in so quickly?

Looks amazing!!!! I am pumped!!!

I might order one (Spark Jr 20") for my 6 year old.
    I work for the largest Scott dealer in the US. We get priority. I also wouldn't say we got them quickly, we've been waiting since September along with the rest of the country.

Your Best Friend
    Stick with Speedplay then. I used their MTB pedals for about 10 years. They have tons of float and can be pretty light for less than $150. Only problem is, they aren't very popular so if you like to switch out bikes with friends it'll be hard to do, oh, and they are a tight fit on some shoes.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in South West Utah

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    found out the rings on these "X0" cranks are not SRAM X-Glide like the actual "X0".
    Where can i grab the actual ring?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Looking to upgrade the Front derailleur to XX does anyone know which direct mount the Spark 29er is using? S1,S2,S3? Thanks ahead of time.

Chris

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I just snagged a Spark Pro today and will be doing my own ride comparisons to my 2011 Epic Expert 29er. This should be neat...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitWienie View Post
    Looking to upgrade the Front derailleur to XX does anyone know which direct mount the Spark 29er is using? S1,S2,S3? Thanks ahead of time.

Chris

S3 Direct Mount Bottom Pull

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

spark 29er vs epic 29er

anyone riden both???

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Pumaking,
    Do you have any Medium Spark 29 Pros available at your shop?

If so, can you ship them to Florida?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Scott dealer rules state we can not ship bikes. However I live in Florida so you're welcome to stop by.

I dont have anymore Pro's they literally sold out within 5 hours of us receiving them. I do have a medium expert in stock.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Today I had a chance to ride 3 1/2 hours on my Spark Pro--I rode the last season (mostly 6-12 hours races and NUE 100s) on a 2011 Specialized Epic Expert 29 (using Roval carbons on race days).

I'm about 5'11" with 33" inseam and ride a large in both, though I shortened the 105 stem to 90 on the Epic (Pro already specs a 90). I swapped out to a Thompson straight post on the Epic and Richey carbon post and Easton Monkey Lite caron low rise handlebar on the Spark.

Spark weighed in completeley stock (except post and bars) at 24.3 lbs. Interesting, that was the exact weight of my Epic with the Roval carbons.

Before I give my impressions- I am generally an Epic 29 fan (I had the first generation 2010 Comp 29er) and have found it to be a good-fitting platform for me. I did a 24 hour solo on the Comp and had zero issues with anything. I basically did a "set and forget" on the brain on Comp and had a good experience. The Expert has been a different story--I noticed the well-known brain complaints alot more-- the knocky-thunky-funky feeling I seemed to get on the low roots and smaller rocks. I'll take my share of blame as I have never been very patient doing experiement rides changing adjustments, etc... However, is it wrong to want something that is easier to figure out?

First impressions in the lap1 was that the cockpit was just a tiny bit smaller and that the wheelbase felt a tad shorter on the Spark--both were HUGE upsides for me as I spent some time on a Felt Nine Solo (19.5") the past couple months with near identical measurements and I loved how racy it made the Spark feel immeadiately. The other immediate impression was how light the bike rode--this meant that I could get the front end up way easier and generally push the bike around alot more than on the Epic. The seatstays are just a tiny bit shorter on the Spark and that tucked under feeling added to the nimble ride. I guess the Epic sometimes makes me feel like the bike is riding me and this was not the feeling I got on the Spark. None of this made the front end rise up, nor did I need to do anything differently on climbs as the front end behaved well and stayed down nicely.

I used the suspension in the "Traction" mode as my default setting as the course I was riding didn't have too much chatter and had short climbs and lots of twisty hardpack and wet sand. This was ideal! It demostrated how stiff this bike is and made it clear to me that I would never need a hardtail--ever. If you can afford only one bike and do everything from XC to marathon and above, this bike will do it all. One thing that I wiill do, is to set me sag closer to 25-28% so that I have some more "bail-out" suspension to go to at the end of my races over 6 hours. The effect of doing this will be to still retain a well-suspended selection in "Traction" mode, have the full lock-out for areas where I want to feel like I'm on a hardtail, but have squish in reserve when I started riding tired and stupid in the last hour or so. Even towards the end today, I was wide open, but could have used some more.

I am no bike expert and it is only by fluke that I actually know some of the different dimension differences in the two bikes, but, for me, it's a no-brainer--pun intended. I didn't miss the brain and determined that I really enjoyed how linear the suspension felt, everything was consistent and there were no surprises. By choosing the changes to the susupension that I wanted, when I wanted, I felt I was better on the wet leaves over hardpack and generally more sure-footed. I'd say that on its very first ride on stock wheels, the Spark has ridden at least as good if not better than the Epic outfitted with the Rovals on its best day. I had planned to make this a slightly longer ride, so next time I will set the sag lower as I described, and report back after I have spent a 5-6 hour ride aboard the Spark. For now, first impressions are extremely favorable. I do have to stress that this is my subjective experience and I'm just a guy who rides bikes and likes them to do what they
    are designed to do without needing to have an advanced degree. (I can't wait to put the rovals on the Spark!)

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thank-you mdrogalis,that was the wright up I was looking for, I also do endurance racing and I have a 29er HT at 22 to 23 lbs and I was wanting to keep it and get a FS 29er, but now I'm going to sell my race bike and I also have a cheeper SS 29er that I'll keep, I dont think I can get a 4k bike and keep all my other bikes I have a wife and she would let me but just not happlyy!!!!!!!!!

I had seen the Sparks a few yrs ago and I like the twin-lock I have been saying for awhile that I don't want to have to reach off my bars after 3 hrs of racing let-a-lone 18 or 23 hours and not only that but I'm left handed and so the fork lock-out is on the wrong side for me, I might not have time to get my hands on a pro but I'll try to get a Expert if I can't.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mdrogalis View Post
    Today I had a chance to ride 3 1/2 hours on my Spark Pro--I rode the last season (mostly 6-12 hours races and NUE 100s) on a 2011 Specialized Epic Expert 29 (using Roval carbons on race days).

For now, first impressions are extremely favorable. I do have to stress that this is my subjective experience and I'm just a guy who rides bikes and likes them to do what they
    are designed to do without needing to have an advanced degree. (I can't wait to put the rovals on the Spark!)
    Thanks for sharing your experience.

Waiting for my Spark Pro to come to Europe, scheduled for the end of february .
    Can't wait...... especially after reading this.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mdrogalis View Post

Does this bike pedal efficiently in the full travel mode? I will be racing on an Expert this season, which has only two settings - fully locked out and full travel mode. I'm wondering if I'll feel the need to lock out the suspension for every little uphill.

I'm coming off a 26in epic, btw.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I've found that left open, the bike climbed better than the hardtail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    pumaking,where in Florida are you?

When you talk about climbing,do you mean long climbs,or quick short uphills?

I am in Ocala,and ride Santos,and am looking at the Scott elite or expert to replace my stolen 2011 epic 29er.

How would you compare it to an epic if you have ridden one?

I have ridden a Scott elite around the block of a local shop,but not on the trails.

Is the expert worth the extra cost over the elite for the carbon frame, i dont see much else different.

Thanks,Jared

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I'm in South Florida so Markham, Oleta, Amelia, Virginia Key, Quiet Waters etc etc.

When I talked about climbing, it would be short technical climbs, usually a long smooth climb it won't matter as long as you're bobbing all over the place but in that case just lockout and boom. But mainly when getting out of the saddle on the HT, it would break traction easily. With the FS in the same sections, out of the saddle didn't experience any of the slippage.

I would say it would be really close with the Epic, aside from the brain and all which I don't like.

I would spring for the Expert, the absorption qualities of carbon make it a nice ride on rough terrains. In terms of parts spec their is not difference but ride quality and weight their is. A customer with the Elite weighed in at 28lbs, my Expert came in at 26lbs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I started to gather my goodies to make this beast into a 21lb bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Thanks pumaking.

I was going back and forth between the Spark and Epic,but went with the epic because I was able to trail demo it ,and I found a closeout 2011 closeout for $2300.

Now that the epic has been stolen,I am considering the spark again.

If I recall,the spark expert was retailing around $3300. Are they going for full retail,or is there any room for negotiation on the price?

Can't wait to see what your build weighs in at!

Jared

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    They were at $3300 now they went up to $3600.00. Wiggle room is up to the dealer, although dealer agreements state price regulation for current model years, not much wiggle room might be available. If you have a good relationship with your LBS I would they take care of you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    More delays again on stocks of the Spark 29er RC coming into the UK. Anyone had a frame or bike in the UK yet ?

mtbr member
    I PM'd you regarding a bike. I ran the same seat post on my last build and loved it. I used the Extralite 90mm stem instead. Looking forward to seeing it finished.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Almost finished putting mine together, current weight 20.4lbs I am confident it will be sub 22 once I get the rest of my parts.

Chris

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Sweet ride WaiteWienie!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pumaking View Post
    I'm in South Florida so Markham, Oleta, Amelia, Virginia Key, Quiet Waters etc etc.

When I talked about climbing, it would be short technical climbs, usually a long smooth climb it won't matter as long as you're bobbing all over the place but in that case just lockout and boom. But mainly when getting out of the saddle on the HT, it would break traction easily. With the FS in the same sections, out of the saddle didn't experience any of the slippage.

I would say it would be really close with the Epic, aside from the brain and all which I don't like.

I would spring for the Expert, the absorption qualities of carbon make it a nice ride on rough terrains. In terms of parts spec their is not difference but ride quality and weight their is. A customer with the Elite weighed in at 28lbs, my Expert came in at 26lbs.
    Julian, I did find one other difference in the stock out of the box Elite and the Expert and that is the wheelsets and if you get some time could you get us a weight on them with tires and tubes is okeydokey. I'm asking becuse now I am thinking about the Elite alum frame, I am keeping my HT 29er and looking at trying for a Elite 23 to 24 lb build also as for the traction you having me thinking that a RP2 might be a good or better rear shock and would the RP2 remote cable work on twinloc remote lever. and/or if I where to get an Expert or Elite could I get my hands on the Spark Pro rear shock and would that work with the twniloc that comes on the Expert & Elite.
    Thanks Dean

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    in WaitWeenie's thread, he weighed the wheels and they came in at around 2100gr with 300 gr in tubes. Tires are 537gr each as well.

I dont know if the Fox shocks would work, I haven't checked the eyelet to eyelet length, the DT Swiss Nude 2 M210 is a nice shock. It was specially designed just for that frame. I personally dont like the RP2/3, I prefer the Rockshox Monarch RT3.

I asked about the Pro shock, getting a Pro shock is feasible however you need the 3 position twinlock lever, not the 2 position lever that comes stock.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks Julian, I have never had the RP2 but I have had the RP23 I liked it for being on a trail bike but not for racing. That was smart for Scott to make that Nude shock work only on the upper models. for me that would be to much $$ better of getting the pro.
    Well I know what bike I want; the Expert but now the damm price went up on them & I'm so darn afraid of a carbon frame, but it's the weight savings with that Expert frame and then some Crest wheels set up tubless; it will be a nice race bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Dont worry about it being Carbon, only the front triangle is carbon and the rear is aluminum. On FS 90% of the time the cracks are in the rear.

The Pro/RC shock will work on all Scott Spark 29er, not just the carbon models only.

Also, the rear triangle is also swappable, so if you get a expert and want the RC or Pro rear triangle.

RC is all carbon with 142mm width rear Solid rear axle.

Pro is aluminum with 142mm width rear Solid rear axle.

Expert is aluminum with 135mm width standard 9mm quick release drop outs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast