Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

2012 scott scale 29er EXPERT rear wheel misaligned

Anyone have any news on this, my 2012 Scale 29er Expert rear wheel is off-set to the left chainstay when looking down during riding..... at almost $3000.00 there has to be a reason for this.... the $500 bikes are perfect LBS said its probably OK and just ride it... but now why would I spend $2000 later on a nice set of new wheels when they will run crooked. . Very frustrating… Another LBS said it was supposed to be like this due to the extra sprocket on the drive side (10 instead of 9) and it off-sets the wheel to the left…mmmmm... can anyone help on this and advise.....

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Is the wheel offset or is the chainstay offset to accept the extra sprocket making it look like the wheel is offset??

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Check the rear wheel is dished properly. We've received some of these bikes where the wheel is extremely off, not Scott's fault more of DT Swiss's fault.

mtbr member
    just bought a new wheelset. the stock wheels were giving me all kinds a hell.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    sidhoyer - are you having anymore problems after the new wheelset? I am looking into the getting the Scott Scale Expert. Does Scott have good customer service?

mtbr member
    Never had any alignment issues. The DT wheels were not to terrible, i got a year out of them. they just weren't built to last. rolling a pair of Sun Black Flags now. this bike and the price point can't be beat. ride the original wheels.... then upgrade when you can.

as for Scott and costumer service. My shop has hooked me up when anything has gone wrong, they seem to have no trouble dealing with Scott.

DaFaJa
    Mine is a day old, and I was looking it over @ home and see the same thing, looks like the wheels is kicked to one side, tire is really close to the frame, I will call the LBS and see what they say..

DaFaJa
    Any one have any updates? It has been raining here all week so I have not been able to take mine in...hope I make it in Saturday..
    2012 Trek Superfly 100 Carbon/ xx1 / xo type2
    Tampa FL USA

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I should be getting my expert in this weekend and hoping the rear is aligned!

DaFaJa
    I would post pics but I am still too new here to do so...I can push on the tire just a little and it hits the frame...I have not even ridden it yet...
    Tampa FL USA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Corbinworks View Post
    I would post pics but I am still too new here to do so...I can push on the tire just a little and it hits the frame...I have not even ridden it yet...
    Post a few more responses so we can get a picture. Pictures will help us... or take it in to another lbs and you can see what they say... or call Scott and see what's up. Just a thought

"Dream like you'll live forever, but live like you'll die today."
    -James Dean

DaFaJa
    Heres some photos I just took...I am taking it back tomorrow when the store opens...

Tampa FL USA

DaFaJa
    Still has the cheap plastic clips on the pedals...I have only rode it around the block..one time..and I did Email Scott, I have not gotten a reply yet...its been 2 days
    Tampa FL USA

mtbr member
    I'm on my phone, but it appears to be out of dish. The shop should be able to pull the wheel over to redish it. You can double check this by putting another wheel in it (one you know is dished properly). If the new wheel looks the same as yours then it will probably be the rear end (chainstays, dropouts or seat stays...

-James Dean

DaFaJa
    Just got back from the shop, All they had to do was adjust the wheel...redish just a little..
    Tampa FL USA

mtbr member
    Just got back from the shop, All they had to do was adjust the wheel...redish just a little..
    Cool! Glad it's fixed. Hopefully you can ride it this weekend. Looks like a nice bike.

-James Dean

DaFaJa
    Thanks for the info and help!
    Tampa FL USA

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info and help!
    My pleasure.

-James Dean

lsc
    Nov 2005

2012 scale pro

Mine favors the non drive side even with a perfectly dished wheel. It almost seems like the indentations in the stays are not symmetrical.

DaFaJa
    Quote Originally Posted by lscproducts View Post
    Mine favors the non drive side even with a perfectly dished wheel. It almost seems like the indentations in the stays are not symmetrical.
    Thats how mine looked as well...
    Tampa FL USA

mtbr member
    Corbinworks, so after all this, what is your impression with Scott USA and its products. I am just about to purchase a new Spark and to be honest, I don't hear a lot about their bikes. Should I be looking elsewhere for my first FS purchase?

DaFaJa
    I am 100% happy with my bike, I feel the price was fair & it has great parts right off the floor..I will buy another one when I am ready for FS....
    Tampa FL USA

lsc
    Nov 2005
    Its the best riding bike I have had in over 25 years of riding.
    Kind of wish I had bought the full springer version but it twice the money.
    The single lever lock out system does look pretty cool.

mtbr member
    These 2 comments make me feel better. Finding recent comments from actual Scott riders is a lot harder then getting comments from the Cannondale, Specialized, Trek or Giant groups. Again, thanks for the input. I can't wait to pick up my FS in a week and a half!!!!! The Maiden voyage will be on the Santos Trailhead!!!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I have over a year on my 2011 RC frame build, this bike just kills. The SDS has to be experienced to really appreciate, really deadens trail chatter. These CF frames are coming out of common molds so misaligned stays is highly unlikely, a simple wheel dish will cure what ills you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast