mtbr member
    Mar 2012

2012 Scott Genius 50...

I'm the happiest bastard on the planet right now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Nice photos! And a lovely bike as well But i may be a little biased since i got the same bike myself.

(was going to put a video link showing my Genius getting abused, but I'm not allowed to post links yet.. )

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Reitstoen View Post
    Nice photos! And a lovely bike as well But i may be a little biased since i got the same bike myself.

(was going to put a video link showing my Genius getting abused, but I'm not allowed to post links yet.. )
    You should post a video! I'd love to see it. I'm gunna make a video as well but I am in the middle of healing. I took a nasty crash and I'm all bruised up. The bike is fine thank God

This bike is absolutely amazing and climbing uphill is a lot easier when I lock out both front and rear suspension. The trails here where I live I mainly stick to traction and full lock out mode. I haven't really had a place where I can do downhill and test out the full travel mode yet.

I don't think I can ever ride without the twinlock remote. It's INCREDIBLE.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Video with my Scott Genius 50 (2012)

Quote Originally Posted by LiquidSpin View Post
    You should post a video! I'd love to see it. I'm gunna make a video as well but I am in the middle of healing. I took a nasty crash and I'm all bruised up. The bike is fine thank God
    I don't think I can ever ride without the twinlock remote. It's INCREDIBLE.
    Yay! Finally I'm abel to post links and videos
    Hope you get well soon, so you can enjoy your bike!
    I also love the Twinlock. Use it all the time, but mostly to switch from travel to full, and back again. And I installed a dropper-seat-post (RockShox Reverb), a must have!

Last edited by Reitstoen; 07-06-2012 at 08:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Reitstoen:

That's an awesome video! Thanks for posting.

The trails you have where you live look extremely fun. Wish we had some trails like that here where I live. The 150mm travel sure comes in handy on trails like that.

It will be a little while before I can get back on my bike but I will definitely post a video from my gopro.

I may invest in a chesty mount since the helmet angle gets a little boring.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Nice video, I just pick up one today. Close out pricing was too good to pass up on a 12. Now to set the suspension.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by maxpower220 View Post
    Nice video, I just pick up one today. Close out pricing was too good to pass up on a 12. Now to set the suspension.
    Sweet, you're going to love the twinlock remote. I had to make the front shocks stiffer then 25% and dropped it to 15% so make sure you get it set up or your front suspension will be a little too squishy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I got the rear set up pretty nicely, I am still working on the front. Hopefully it is not just me, but the recommended air pressures aren't even close to getting sag set properly.

The bike is very much overkill for my riding in FL, but it is incredible. Although, I thought for the price I paid, it was going to pedal for me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I got the rear set up pretty nicely, I am still working on the front. Hopefully it is not just me, but the recommended air pressures aren't even close to getting sag set properly.

The bike is very much overkill for my riding in FL, but it is incredible. Although, I thought for the price I paid, it was going to pedal for me.
    The recommended air pressure for the rear suspension works perfectly for me. The front after a few rides is now just right. It took me a while to find that perfect sweet spot...but it all depends on your riding style as well as your weight.

After doing a local trail where I live called fountainhead there's a steep descent called "Shock-a-billy" (old one not the new new) and after going down it my suspension never bottomed out which tells me 150mm is way too much for Fountainhead haha but it's nice to have that extra cushioned security in mind.

My front suspension "o-ring" indicator:

Shock-a-Billy:

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

A day in heaven!

Another video.
    A short video clip from my first day ever in a downhill bike park.
    The Genius was wonderful to ride there, even though it isn't a DH-bike.

Alternative: youtube

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    How do they keep all of that sand on the moutain like that?

What position is your Twin Lock in?

Nice video, looks fun

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    How do they keep all of that sand on the moutain like that?
    Dunno. But the sand/dirt on the trail is very compact.
    What position is your Twin Lock in?
    That day I was running full travel all day long.
    Usually I spend most time in traction mode, and switch to full travel when going 'downhill'.
    Nice video, looks fun
    Thanks. It really was fun as well.
    While my bike ran 'full travel', my face was locked in 'full grin'

Other than that I have my fork set to plush/AM. And I recently got a tip from someone about changing the seals to some new low friction seals, making it even plusher. I have never done any service on a fork before, so that'll be interesting.

When i got my bike, i changed it to a 2x10 drivetrain. SRAM X9 crankset, SRAM X0 triggers, X0 front derailleur and X9 rear derailleur, and loving it! I've ridden 1000+km this year so far, and haven't adjusted the gears since i mounted them. Works perfect in any condition.

I'm also thinking of upgrading my brakes and wheels for next season. And I'm about to order a chain guide with bash guard (Truvative X-Guide).

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Reitstoen:

Another excellent video showing off how nice the Scott Genius is. The closest DH park from where I live is about 4 hours away at a place called SnowShoe. I've never done DH and I only have 1 friend who's willing to go with me but he's going to a wedding this labor day which is pretty much the best time for me to go. I don't wanna go alone but damn I do want to go and experience what it's like. You're video looks like a lot of fun.

Love the upgrades you've done as well...I'm hitting up fountainhead a bad ass trail near where I live and hope to get some videos recorded. Although, it won't be as interesting to watch as your videos.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

scott genius 50

best bike i could ever ask for, love it, got bigger discs on and few other gold bits, renthal bars and stem soon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 Scott Genius 50...-2012-08-18_12-11-25_27.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I like how clean your bikes are. There is too much rain for me to keep everything dirt free right now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    mine gets cleaned and lubed quite often, plus always dried off if wet, last forever then

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

My bike is usually not very clean, like on this photo.

And here's yet another short video:

The Narrow Path from Ola Endre Reitstøen on Vimeo.

Can't wait for summer to come!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I don't have the best trails around where I live. Here's a short video of me at Fountainhead VA.

2012 Scott Genius - The Ride from dreamefx on Vimeo.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    That's the coolest bike i have ever seen i love scott bikes

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    You are right, it's the coolest bike around !
    I have the same model, with bits and pieces modified.
    It would be great to post the mods on these bikes.

My recent one is an SLX clutch derraileur coupled to the XO Gripshift on a 9 speed transmission. I changed to 9 speed right after I bought it (XO), but the chain slap/suck was immense ! It shifts perfectly !

2012 Scott Genius 50...-wp_000790.jpg
    Last edited by bfm team; 02-07-2014 at 04:58 PM. Reason: photo

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    BFM Team: look'n good man! Love the white cables!

I've been having a lot of fun with my bike. Last summer I've been hitting the downhill MTB parks and it's holding up great.

I've made a few upgrades as well:

Spank Evo OOZY rims
    Hope Pro 2 EVO hubs (blue)
    RaceFace crank set with BB
    RaceFace front chain ring 30T narrow/wide (blue)
    DT Swiss Champion Spokes with blue DT Swiss nipples
    Diety Pedals
    Schwalbe Nobby Nic EVO
    Schwalbe Hans Dampf Snakeskin
    Shimano Zee rear derailleur

and I'm rock'n the Scott Mythic helmet (blue)2012 Scott Genius 50...-scott.jpg2012 Scott Genius 50...-photo.jpg

My bike is now a 1x10 drive train. Having no front derailleur, minus 2 cogs and shifter my bike lost a good amount of weight. My bike now weighs 27.8lbs which is pretty respectable. I don't think I'll ever go back to a 3x10 or 2x10. 1x10 is perfect for me.

I love this damn bike!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Wow, that helmet looks awesome, Liquidspin !
    I am wondering what cog/ring combination you are using on your 1x10 drivetrain ?
    As I am living in a mountaineous area, I need a good climbing ratio, but I'm not really into the whole XX1 thing, as it is pretty expensive: I would try the spiderless Works Components front ring with 26T or 28 T and going with a 12-36 cassette.

Here is the Scottie last weekend on a winter ride:
    2012 Scott Genius 50...-cam00304.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bfm team View Post
    Wow, that helmet looks awesome, Liquidspin !
    I am wondering what cog/ring combination you are using on your 1x10 drivetrain ?
    As I am living in a mountaineous area, I need a good climbing ratio, but I'm not really into the whole XX1 thing, as it is pretty expensive: I would try the spiderless Works Components front ring with 26T or 28 T and going with a 12-36 cassette.

Here is the Scottie last weekend on a winter ride:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CAM00304.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	133.3 KB 
ID:	868225
    My rear cassette is a Shimano 11x36 front 30T chainring. What would be nice is a 9x36 from Hope Tech. However, it's still under development.