mtbr member
    Feb 2013

2012 Genius LT advice

Hi guys, I am looking at possibly buying a 2012 Genius LT 40 new from one of the LBS's. New old stock at a reasonable price. It'd replace at least two of my current bikes with the LT as it seems very versitile and I'd upgrade/swap out a lot/most of the parts on it straight away.

What I need help with is can anyone give me feedback on the frame and fork, especially things like the Equalizer 3 shock. Is it reliable? Does it handle heavy riders well? Any breakages/issues/problems of note?
    Can the Lyrik fork be fitted with a mission control damper unit (this isn't a biggie/deal breaker)?

Basically I'm a bit worried I could end up with a bike that spends too much time in the shop. Currently I do all the spanner work on my bikes and having a few bikes means there is always one to ride.
    My riding style is aggresive but smooth. I don't tend to break things even though I am a fatty. I have had a look at as much LT discussion as I can find, some of it relates to 2011 models and Equalizer 2 shocks. So if you can please advise relevant experiances would be appreciated.

Cheers in advance!

Rich

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    The Equalizer 3 shock to be honest isn't all that great when a person 240-250lb or above sits on it. If you're close to or around this weight then I think you will be OK with riding it as long as you don't do any jumps or crazy riding on it.

My advice, use your other bikes to trim down if you are heavier then take the Scott Genius LT and make the most out of it and ride it hard since that's what it's made for. 180mm of travel is serious business.

All I can say is the Genius is the way to go. I've never had any issues with mine what so ever.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I have a 2011 LT-40 and love it. I ride it pretty hard, lots of 3-4 foot jumps, but nothing really big. Do a fair bit of rocky stuff too (bashguard on all the time). 2000+ miles on it (got it June '11), my typical ride is 20+ miles with 4000' or more climbing. I'm 190 and usually wear a big pack (lots of water particularly for long rides) so definitely over 200 at least until the end of the ride.

Had an early issue with the Lyric (didn't stay in short position, which made it a pain to squeeze in a car, but supposedly it was a bad sign in a new shock), the LBS sent that back and it took a bit. After a year or more one of the frame bushings wore out, and the two Equalizer 3 attachment bolts & bushings both got worn, took a bit for the LBS to get replacements in. Pretty minor stuff. I also trashed the rear hub (too much climbing...).

Love the bike, love the instant lock out since I do lots of climbing and you can flip it off without thinking for the fun stuff!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Cheers for the info guys.
    I'm currently just over 250, but should be down to 220 in 3-6 months as I'm back into the gym and fitness after a few years off after becoming a dad and getting lazy. Goal will be to get to around 200.

The bike looks great, I have tested it with lower then desirable pressure in the shocks, the twin lock worked awesome and the bike feels very nice. 180mm in a package that light is great and kinda what I want as I don't do much DH/FR riding anymore, but I still ride trails with up to 4' drops and smaller jumps as well as some super steep rough terrain where 180-200mm eats up the trail.

I'll let ya know how I get on.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I just picked up a 2012 Genius LT30 a couple of weeks ago, so far it's straight up AWESOME!

Added a bashguard, wider bars, and a single ring 34t and it's the most universal bike I've ever even heard about. I rode some mild trails Saturday, XC ish stuff Sunday, then F/R-DH on Monday. One bike.

Having said that, the rear shock isn't quite dialed in all the way, for freeride at least. I'm sure with some more saddle time I'll have it set up.

mtbr member
    May 2013

2012 Genius LT advice

You guys have any updates on your Scott genius LTs. I just pulled the trigger on a 2012 lt 40. How have yours held up so far?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Shock needs a service, other than that it's gold. I put a cane creek headset bearing setup in halfway through summer, the stock unsealed syncros got a bunch of sand in it. Great bike for almost anything. Free ride was my focus later in the season, at 200lbs I felt like I was pushing the shock just about as much as it could handle though. High pressure/low volume probably has a lot to do with it.

mtbr member
    May 2013

2012 Genius LT advice

Thanks for the response, how often should I have that shock serviced in general ? (I'm sure this probably depends a lot on the abuse it takes). I went for the genius hoping it would be a good all mountain bike that can handle some small drops 4-5ft and some lift riding this summer. The reviews on it seemed good, but there was not a lot of info on the 2012's available on the web. Scott's lockout feature seems really cool and my local shop had it available on closeout for $1950, which seemed like a pretty good deal. Should be here in the next few weeks, can't wait to take it for a spin. thanks again for the info.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I had my eyes on a 2013 Genius LT for months but finally decided not to pull the trigger because of the rear shock. Don't get me wrong it may be magnificent but it is also proprietary so you are stuck with it with no upgrade options if something goes wrong.

Even Scott changed the rear suspension in the 2014 model so I decided to pass and buy something with no proprietary parts at all.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Shock service once per season for sure, maybe one more mid season. I ride lift/shuttle whenever I get the chance, no major issues. The point of the proprietary shock is a very valid one, my idea is to ride the genius this season and if I don't get the pull shock to act like I want it to, switch out the frame for a Canfield One. I also got my LT30 at a screamin price, so I'm not too far out of whack if the frame/shock only gets me 2 seasons. I've yet to use the full lockout feature of the twin lock, I trail ride in 110 mode and freeride/DH in 185. The fork is pretty dialed too,

mtbr member
    May 2013

Re: 2012 Genius LT advice

Thanks for the info prolite. I felt similar, for the price I did not think I could find another bike w that much travel w a warrantee and that could double as a trail bike.

Got it from a local store that should take care of me. They said they have been able to warrantee one of the shocks 3 years post purchase, which gave me some added confidence.

Hoping to do some lift riding this summer with it. Doubt I will be able to push it past its limits.

Sent from my LT30at using Tapatalk 2