mtbr member
    Jul 2007

2012 Genius 10 initial thoughts.....

Some great deals to be had on this bike ! After riding one today, and after riding the Spark RC (both 26ers) 29ers are not my gig. It seems strange to me how the new Genius could possibly do anything better than the 2012 design with the Equalizer 2 Shock and the older frame design if its anything similar to the Spark. Absolutely incredible is all I can say about the way this bike handles. It pedals up hill as good as my Scale Premium and of course soooo much better on the way down! Anything other than flat singletrack, my new Scale is going to stay new looking for quite a while. On the Spark RC, the backs of my heels wanted to hit the frame at the rear stays just about every other revolution of the pedals.....so annoying with flats. Clipped in, it barely clears if you dont twist even slightly with your footing on the pedals. On the other hand, the 2012 Genius (at 25lbs for 150mm suspension) was so fun to ride!. The sag was slightly off at the values listed and needed to go about 10lbs lower . My feet are size 8, hardly the issue. Make sure you get a chance to ride the 2012 before jump on the 2013 new frame. Scott has a few remaining 2012's left for incredible steals. You gotta ride this bike! A riding buddy, on a Santa Cruz Nickel curiously swapped bikes with me for a few miles and I think he is very frustrated with his purchase now and looking to sell it but not sure he can do so in time to get one of the remaing 2012 models. He rode the Spark too and had the very same problem with his heals. It's not just me. He laughed at the occurance after thinking it was just me initially. Must say I really like 20 speed gearing vs. the 3 front chainrings on the Scale. Seems the XO 20 sp. shifts so much better than the XTR on the Scale. If you ever get a chance to ride the older Genius, do it and see what Im talkin about!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    do me a favor....start breaking out your post into "Paragraphs"

easier to read.