Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2011 Spark 50 Broken frame

3K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Samulele77 
#1 ·
My 2011 Spark 50 snapped in half on the non-drive side chainstay, about an inch from the weld. The frame actually came completely off from the frame bolt on the other side and completely collapsed on me while riding. Been doing some research since then, and have read a few reports about the same exact thing happening, but on some older models, 08's and 09's but not the 2011. Anyone else here experience this? Still waiting to hear what Scott Sports is going to tell me about it.

Attachments

See less See more
#10 ·
Me too, I'm in South Florida.

Los05, I didn't mean to contact them directly, this is what they ask for so I was giving you the heads up to turn everything in. This can make the difference in getting a frame within a week and 2 months.
Oh, Gotcha... yeah my LBS (Big Wheel Cycles) has all that info. I am hoping for a week and not the latter. :eek:

Since you guys are in S.Fla I can tell you where I did it. I was just coming up to one of those quick little hills at Amelia on sat when the whole thing just collapsed under me, My buddy almost ran me over.. lol But there was no crash before that or anything, just riding. I have a feeling it may have happened before that though and I just didn't notice because the bike was acting a little funny for most of the day.

#13 ·
I have a 50 2010 and have been hitting pretty much everything that a 110 mill rear can take (all my buddies have 5-inch gear). I did multiple descents in a DH park in VT keeping up with some 5-inch+ guys (not my buddies though...). Frame seems still solid. Scott has a great service from what I know, slow but very good especially if you're the first owner. Remember there should be a "crash discount" in case they won't recognize the frame failure. But in that case i would change to a yeti. It is true older models showed that problem (that's why I carefully avoided a spark 40 2009 that was at a lower price than the 50 2010...) apparently Scott made that area beefier since 2010.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.