mtbr member
    Jul 2010

2009 scott ransom 20

My LBD has a 2009 scott ransom 20 for a fair price im tempted to purchase the bike for XC, All mountian, and some lite DH. I just wanted to hear the good the bad and the ugly. Thanks

mtbr member
    The good:
    Fantastic specs.
    The rear shock is really nice, very smooth and adjustable via dual air chambers, rebound dial, platform on/off for pedalling also adjustable on the fly with the tracloc lever.
    The frame is totally solid. My 2007 Ransom 20 has been through alot and it's holding up well. Just had the bearings changed out after 3 years and it feels very good to ride.
    XC, AM and lite DH is what this bike is designed for, that's how I ride mine and I couldn't be happier with it.

The bad.
    Some Equalizer shocks are bad and fail constantly. 2009 models probably won't give you any problems though. My shock keeps losing negative air, I need to pump it up every few days, otherwise it's very smooth. It probably needs service soon, which brings me to...

The ugly.
    If the shock needs service, it can ONLY be done through a Scott dealer. If the shop can't do it on-site they need to ship it out. Servicing an Equalizer is reportedly pretty expensive (think ~$200) and Scott recommends it be done once a year, if I remember correctly.

Pros and cons, as with anything. I'd recommend a Ransom to someone who uses it basically as a trail/AM bike and has some light DH aspirations and doesn't mind the proprietary shock.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    What's a fair price for a 09 ransom 29 new

mtbr member
    There are a couple places in the US that service the Equalizer, Luby at Dirt Labs would be the best place to get it done.

Good price for an '09 ... around here if I could find one I might be able to pick it up for something around 3000$.

It is a very good all-around bike. I've got my '07 40 set up more for descending but it still climbs great even on the steepest of ascents and also use it for the longer xc rides of 20+ miles.