Bike Virgin
    Aug 2012

'12 Scott Scale Team 120mm Fork?

I am planning to upgrade the XC 32 Fork on my '12 Scott Scale Team and I was wondering what effect going to a 120mm Manitou Tower Pro would have. The axle to crown on the xc 32 is 515mm(measured) and the advertised axle to crown on the Tower pro is 530mm for the 120mm and 510 for the 100mm. I am new to mtb and the trails around here can get pretty steep, my first ride covered a 2400' elevation difference. I did actually go over my handlebars in a rock garden on a descent. Would I notice a big difference in handling, climbing or descent? Would the tradeoffs be worth it? This topic has been covered in other forums, but it sounds like Scott's geometry is a little different and most of the threads are discussing fs bikes.

Thanks,
    Adam

mtbr member
    The Scale 29 already has a slack head tube angle, going to 120 MM travel would slacken it even more.

Plus, you may void your warranty.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2
    2013 Trek Stache 8
    2011 Giant Defy Advanced 0

Bike Virgin
    Aug 2012
    I was looking at a few of the online trail calculators and it would decrease the head angle by a full degree and increase the trail, but it's hard to tell how dramatic of an effect it would have since 29ers have so much trail as it is. I'm pretty sure that I will be going with the 100mm Manitou Tower Pro, which will increase the head angle a little due to the offset. At 265 lbs, I void the Scott warranty just by riding it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I was thinking of doing this too. And make it more of an AM/trail bike.