mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Zee/Saint overkill for a Nickel build-up?

Hello all,

I'm considering picking up a Nickel or Butcher from the SC sale, or if I can't get a frame in my size, from CC. Leaning towards the Nickel for the tapered head tube, but not completely decided yet.

I do my riding in Northern Utah, Draper area trails. Mountainy, hilly, rocky terrain with some of sand mixed in.

Would a Saint/Zee drivetrain be overkill? I end up doing a lot of XC riding. A lot of climbing to come back down the same trail. I'm right now considering the FR Zee RD paired with a 11-36 out back and undecided if I'll stick with a 2 or 1 chainring setup. I have an XT m785 crank and an SLX crank sitting around that could be used.

Anyone have any thoughts or opinions?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Itīs overkill!

DIY all the way
    Plus the Zee rear der. does not have the capacity for dual ring.

SLX is the name you're looking for.

Magura

rollin
    I just bolted SLX cranks and Saint Pedals onto my Nickel.

From what I've researched on the internets, SLX cranks are 100% stronger than XT, and that the only weight difference between the two resides in the chainrings and bolts. Upgrade to lighter chainrings and bashgaurd, and you end up with cranks that are as light as, yet stronger and better looking than the XT.

The SEX cranks and Saint pedals look like a perfect match, too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I would personally run a SLX or XT brake with larger rotors they will provide more then enough stopping power for any XC/ light shuttling riding.

As for the drivetrain SLX will be a better combo, there is a minimal strength gain between saint/zee and SLX for the weight. I ran XO for 3 seasons on my DH bike and never ripped the derailer apart now part of that is luck however you stand just as much luck ripping off a XO as you would a saint/zee.

Also there is a specific SLX dual ring front derailer.

bog
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sriracha View Post
    I just bolted SLX cranks and Saint Pedals onto my Nickel.

From what I've researched on the internets, SLX cranks are 100% stronger than XT, and that the only weight difference between the two resides in the chainrings and bolts. Upgrade to lighter chainrings and bashgaurd, and you end up with cranks that are as light as, yet stronger and better looking than the XT.

The SEX cranks and Saint pedals look like a perfect match, too.
    I think it depends on which version of SLX you actually buy. The version without the steel pedal insert is likely similar to XT while the version with the steel pedal insert (M665) should be much stronger. My XT cranks work well for XC riding but I've tried them at Whistler and I can't keep the pedals from unscrewing. No such problems with the SLX M665s.
    SC Tallboy C : SC Nomad 3 : Giant TCX SLR : Giant Propel Adv SL

Big Gulps, Alright!
    I'm going to put a Zee derailleur on my Blur, but only because it and Saint are the only derailleurs Shimano makes in a short cage (compatible with 11-36). Single ring set up here.

rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by bog View Post
    I think it depends on which version of SLX you actually buy. The version without the steel pedal insert is likely similar to XT while the version with the steel pedal insert (M665) should be much stronger. My XT cranks work well for XC riding but I've tried them at Whistler and I can't keep the pedals from unscrewing. No such problems with the SLX M665s.
    Good point. I intentionally purchased the M665 SLX cranks, with the steel pedal insert. Mostly because I figured it was stronger, if I hit my pedal on a rock. Didn't realize there was a potential issue of pedals unscrewing, without the steel insert.

Definitely get the cranks with the steel insert (2 rings and a bash guard), not the triple ring setup.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Is the M665 SLX crank 10 speed compatible? Bluesky says its 8/9 speed.

I can't stand the look of the stock bashguard. That would definitely need to to swapped out.

rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by phazeshifta View Post
    Is the M665 SLX crank 10 speed compatible? Bluesky says its 8/9 speed.

I can't stand the look of the stock bashguard. That would definitely need to to swapped out.

I don't know about 10 speed compatible, but if they are not, all you would need to do is bolt on some 10 speed chainrings.

I agree about the clunky neanderthal looking bashguard. First thing I did was ditch that thing. The cranks look way better without it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Magura View Post
    Plus the Zee rear der. does not have the capacity for dual ring.

SLX is the name you're looking for.

Magura

Just curious why isn't it compatible with a dual ring? Say if I run a 22/32 crank and 11-36 cog?

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by mikkosan View Post
    Just curious why isn't it compatible with a dual ring? Say if I run a 22/32 crank and 11-36 cog?
    Due to tooth capacity. It's simply too short for that.

Magura

Creepy tooth fairy
    This all depends on how you ride. I cannot proffer much enlightenment regarding the Shimano drivetrains as I am a diehard SRAM fan. However, I run Saint cranks and find them to be second to none. Easy to install, rock solid, slop-free and feel like 3-piece BMX cranks regarding their stiffness. Overkill?!? I think not especially if you end up on a Butcher which also has a tapered head tube, BTW. I think the tiny bit of extra weight (compared to XT and SLX) is negated by the peace of mind from the burl delivered by the Saint cranks. I beat the crap outta my components and have destroyed too many things to get into here. If you ride aggressively, want to ride aggressively, are a bigger guy (150+ lbs...I'm 195), ride in a very rough environment or any combo thereof they are worth it.
    the going won't get good 'til I'm good and gone