mtbr member
    Jul 2008

XXL Bronson? What can the tall people do to make it happen?

Hi,

I have a seen a few posts on various forums about XXL frames.
    I know tall people are in the minority of cyclists but there must be something we can do to get an XXL size made.

I know SC make the Tallboy LTC in XXL which I have no doubt is an awesome bike. It does not however suit where I ride or my style.

The Bronson seems to be the perfect bike apart from being a little small for me.
    There must be other tall people out there looking for a decent trail/enduro bike!

Could we petition SC to make a proper XXL size.

I really want to run a short stem!

Andrew.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    How tall are you? I'm 6'4" and ride a XL 650b Mojo HD. If you are 6'6" or
    over go with the Tallboy LTC. The LTC is a great enduro bike. Even the pros are using them. I demoed one this year and was stunned by its downhill capabilities. It also climbs better than my HD or the Bronson. Check out the Enduro race scene. More and more riders are switching to long travel 29ers. I do prefer the 650b set up for tight technical riding.

bog
    mtbr member
    Another vote for a Bronson in XXL. I had to go over to the dark side and scoop an Enduro 29 to get an Enduro style bike that fits my 6'5" frame. I took a good look at the TB LTc but it just doesn't have the burliness or slackness that I look for in a bike like this.

I'm a huge SC fan with an XXL HighballC, an XXL TallboyC and an XL V10C in my stable. An XXL BronsonC would have slotted in perfectly!
    SC Tallboy C : Giant TCX SLR : Giant Propel Adv SL DA9070

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    When I demoed the Bronson the rep said we all need to email a request in. I guess there is at least one guy n the staff that wants one too. Your vote counts!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I think the issue is more that we need a proper XL Bronson. I to would be super interested in this bike, but I am 6'3" and the the XL is a very small frame with a very short wheel base, and doesn't inspire confidence for fast agressive riding. It really isn't an XL bike at all. and no way I would consider putting anything longer than a 50/60mm stem on a bike like this...

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Just goes to show there's no accounting for size. I'm 6'2 with a 34 inseam and ride a large Bronson. Seems to be sized perfectly for me.

mtbr member
    The Tallboys are SC's best selling model. More units sold means they can invest in a wider size range and recoup the $$.

If you want a bigger Bronson - especially in carbon - you need to convince SC there is interest in that size bike and you better hope sales of that model stay strong over the next couple years.

They'll invest in whichever part of their business is making them the $$ they need to pay employees and keep the lights on.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

NMBP
    When the TB ltc came out, there was no XXL, however they listened to the demand, and now there is one. If they hear enough charter, I bet they would give the people what they want!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyman View Post
    How tall are you? I'm 6'4" and ride a XL 650b Mojo HD. If you are 6'6" or
    over go with the Tallboy LTC. The LTC is a great enduro bike. Even the pros are using them. I demoed one this year and was stunned by its downhill capabilities. It also climbs better than my HD or the Bronson. Check out the Enduro race scene. More and more riders are switching to long travel 29ers. I do prefer the 650b set up for tight technical riding.
    Thanks for the reply.
    I'm 6'5" with a long torso.
    I was seriously tempted by the XXL LTC. My experience with where I ride however has not been that friendly with 29ers. I find the very steep riding filled with tight turns to be a huge effort getting the big wheels around.

Some companies are offering the long top tube short stem approach on their bikes which is great for riding. particularly for the taller people!
    Yeti, Trek and a few other companies have a top tube length of 647mm but the Bronson is only 635. It may not sound like much bit for me it is quite a big difference.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bog View Post
    Another vote for a Bronson in XXL. I had to go over to the dark side and scoop an Enduro 29 to get an Enduro style bike that fits my 6'5" frame. I took a good look at the TB LTc but it just doesn't have the burliness or slackness that I look for in a bike like this.

I'm a huge SC fan with an XXL HighballC, an XXL TallboyC and an XL V10C in my stable. An XXL BronsonC would have slotted in perfectly!
    I would have given up on DH if it wasn't for the V10 in XL.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash-VR View Post
    When I demoed the Bronson the rep said we all need to email a request in. I guess there is at least one guy n the staff that wants one too. Your vote counts!
    Do you have a contact email?
    I will post in a few forums and see if we can get a few people committed!

bog
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by October26 View Post
    Thanks for the reply.
    I'm 6'5" with a long torso.
    I was seriously tempted by the XXL LTC. My experience with where I ride however has not been that friendly with 29ers. I find the very steep riding filled with tight turns to be a huge effort getting the big wheels around.

Some companies are offering the long top tube short stem approach on their bikes which is great for riding. particularly for the taller people!
    Yeti, Trek and a few other companies have a top tube length of 647mm but the Bronson is only 635. It may not sound like much bit for me it is quite a big difference.
    Same here but I'm mainly concerned about the reach. For my 6'5" height and 35" inseam I consider a 18.3" (465mm) reach to be the minimum for the frame to be comfortable with a short stem of 60-70mm. I ride pretty tight trails but value a roomy cockpit to be able to move around on the bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Same here but I'm mainly concerned about the reach. For my 6'5" height and 35" inseam I consider a 18.3" (465mm) reach to be the minimum for the frame to be comfortable with a short stem of 60-70mm. I ride pretty tight trails but value a roomy cockpit to be able to move around on the bike.
    6'5" is not out of the question for an XL. Not sure about the Bronson specs, but my Mojo HD converted to 650b fits me good and I'm 6'4". One of the Ibis owners is around 6'5"- 6'6" and he rides an XL HD. If you are like me and riding very technical singletrack a smaller frame is easier to throw around. I would suggest taking a demo on a XL before considering the XXL. If you ride mainly cross country and trail however the XXL may be the best option.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Sounds like exactly the same issue I have. I'm not familiar with the Reach measurement but it sounds just like the same thing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    6'5" is not out of the question for an XL. Not sure about the Bronson specs, but my Mojo HD converted to 650b fits me good and I'm 6'4". One of the Ibis owners is around 6'5"- 6'6" and he rides an XL HD. If you are like me and riding very technical singletrack a smaller frame is easier to throw around. I would suggest taking a demo on a XL before considering the XXL. If you ride mainly cross country and trail however the XXL may be the best option.
    Yes there is a lot of personal preference around.
    The Ibis is only 625mm top tube which I think is more a L than XL!
    I would much rather a longer TT and shorter stem, I do like a streched out position and never have any issues throwing a longer bike around.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I have emailed the good people at Santa Cruz.
    At this point they have no plans to make an XXL Bronson.
    They suggested the XXL Tallboy (Which I am sure is an excellent bike).

I guess the only thing to do would be to keep asking...

Email is info@santacruzbicycles.com

Thanks for reading!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    The XL Bronson I rode felt much smaller than my Nomad with the same bar/stem combo. Maybe the steeper seat tube angle. I'm not sure but it definitely cured my gas.

bog
    mtbr member
    Reach is very different from top tube length. Given that many bikes have curved seat tubes nowadays you simply can't go by the Effective Top Tube length (ETT), Horizontal Top Tube length (HTT) or Effective Seat Tube angle because you don't know what they are measuring or where they are measuring to.

The reach is the horizontal distance between a vertical line running through the center of the bottom bracket shell and the top/center of the head tube. Even a frame with a very similar reach can seem different depending on the head tube angle, head tube length and fork length but it is the best measurement to go by when trying to figure out the length of a frame.

bog
    mtbr member
    I've ridden a Mojo HD and that is one short XL. With a 412mm reach it is even smaller than the XL Bronson which was a touch too short (I've ridden one twice now). To get a decently stretched cockpit on the HD I'd have to run a 110mm stem or push my saddle way back which completely wrecks the handling of the bike. I could have lived with the Bronson with an 85mm stem but I really want to run a 60-70mm stem on a bike like this.
    Sizing is definitely a personal preference but the trend is to longer top tubes and shorter stems on bikes like this and Ibis and SC are behind the curve.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I'm 6' 3". Some brands like Ibis tend to have short reach, and so an XL mojo hd fits me well. Other brands like Santa Cruz have average or long reach for a given size. After demoing L and XL Bronsons, I bought a L Bronson C. The reach, stack, and wheelbase are all longer than my L Nomad.

The missing piece of info in this thread is what bar width are you running. I run 760 or 780 mm, which significantly affects the fit.

The nearly 17 inch reach of a Lg Bronson is equal to or bigger than some XL frames from other brands.
    Originally posted by bucksaw87
    I still fail to see how mustaches, fixies, and PBR are ironic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Just goes to show there's no accounting for size. I'm 6'2 with a 34 inseam and ride a large Bronson. Seems to be sized perfectly for me.
    That is interesting, I'm 6'2 with 33" inseam and found the XL Bronson a bit short for me (I didn't want to run a stem over 50mm).