mtbr member
    Sep 2005

XX1 Chainring Size for Bronson

I am fixing to order a Bronson and am trying to decide which chainring to buy for XX1. I am debating between 32 and 30 tooth. I would prefer the 30 tooth ratio wise. Will the bike pedal well with 30 tooth or would I be better with the 32?

Thanks

Trail Junkie
    From my experience, VPP rides better with a "bigger middle ring". If your legs require you to ride a 30T, that's going to by your solution, but a 32T is going to give a lot more ring options and replacements later down the road. You can also modify your final gear ratio with the cassette range you choose.

The XX1 offers a lot of options in versatility as long as you set it up correctly.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Misfit diSSent

Fut. Bikes:
    Banshee Phantom

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

XX1 Chainring Size for Bronson

I ride a 30t on my 29er. Unless you have ridiculously steep hills, I would think that the 32t would be a better bet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Agree, atleast LT2 pedals clearly worse with smaller ring than 32, guess vpp is designed to work as best at 32-38 ring etc.. Maybe 30 is still ~ok but wouldn't compromise if you have 42 on back..

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    This sorta should go without saying, but it depends on the terrain you ride, what climbing gears you currently use, and whether you are willing to sacrifice some top end for lower gears. With a quick search you can find gear calculators so you can compare gear inches.

Luckily the xx1 rings are not too expensive (relatively), and they are easy to swap. So for example you can run a 32 for most terrain and swap it for a 30 if you're looking at a particularly nasty day.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I know this ones been asleep - but I put a 38 on and it had me running propedal 3 on flat trails to feel like it didn't have an anchor. Huge difference between a 34 and 38.

And when it got steep without the propedal was very obvious by the lactate buildup and bike just sinking into the travel with every pedal stroke that the 38t was past the inflection point - no longer anti squat to any degree.

I'll try a 36 and tell you how it goes. Hopefully it still pedals normal.
    PM me for a great price on a pike 150 27.5 as new condition, barely seen dirt!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    How does the sprocket size have an effect on the anti-squat characteristics? I don't get that. Is it a leverage thing?

I have a 30T front sprocket on my Bronson. I could probably climb fine with a 32T as well but I find that I'm never spinning out with a 30T so I might as well keep the granny gear.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I ride in CO. I started with a 32 for a season and switched to 30. Much better for me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I am the OP. Ran 32t for about a year. Switched to 30t two months ago. 30 is much better IMO, better granny for the long steep grinds. If I ever did a 29er I would go 28t for sure.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I just switched from the stock 34 to a 32. It's a huge improvement more than I expected. But I now wish I had went with a 30. I feel like this gear ratio issue had been the missing component in my riding. Not having a low enough gear was preventing me from making sharp switch back climbs at slow speeds.
    I also find that the very fastest I ever go is about 22mph and that still doesn't have me in the highest gear.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I switch between a 28 tooth and 30 tooth depending on the trails I'm riding. I set my chain length very precisely with the 30 tooth (read, tight tolerance on # of links) so as to not have it be too long with the 28. Switching chain rings take a few minutes.

ETA: I'm not a super powerful rider with epic aerobic capacity. I find the 30t is fine for 70% of my rides. 28t comes into play on trails with steep, technical climbs where I must stay seated to keep traction or on my rare trips to locales with long fire road uphill grinds.
    2014 Santa Cruz 5010c
    2000 Litespeed Tanasi
    1992 GT Bravado LE

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I'd sure like you guys' opinions on this related thread:

XX1. Chose front chain ring to keep chain as straight as possible most of the time?

Bodhisattva
    I run 30t on my Nomad 650, 28t on my Tallboy LTc.

I started w 32 & 30 respectively, but I appreciate the extra climbing gear for extended Colorado climbs and don't miss that extra gear on the other end at max speed. I prefer to sit and spin v. mash
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    I have only spun out the 28T front on my XX1 setup on my Bronson once, going all-out down the last sections of Phil's Trail in Bend (below the chicken). Relatively flat trail with mild turns, one-way only.

Most of the time the trails I ride are steeper, and I'm not looking to pedal.

Chain grinding due to wear-and-tear on the front ring is something that others have reported, and I've found as well. I'm going through about 2 rings per chain. There's anecdotal evidence that it's more common on the 28T. My thinking is it's just going to happen with an aluminum ring.

See this thread from the SRAM forum:
    XX1 28t chain grinding?