mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Xo trail vs xt trail

Time to replace my stoppers. Running formula the ones right now. Love the power and finish quality, but could never quite get the ergonomics right. Trying to decide between the new xt and avid xo trails. My first gen elixir cr's were nightmares (warrantied 3 times) a little gun shy on the avids. Running xt shifters and a reverb, so the ability to share clamp space is a plus. Convince me, one way or the other. Really on the fence. Thanks to the magic of ebay, the cost is about a wash.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    My experience and what I continue to read says Avid brakes haven't changed much.
    Had them on my SJ, what a POS those brakes were. Have XT on my TBc, I'll never own Avids again.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    XTs are awesome.

The X0 trail sounds nice with the lightweight 4 piston caliper but XT is plenty strong even with just the two oversized pistons. Not sure I'd mess with a more expensive and finicky brake when the XTs just plain work.

Quiet Professional
    I would compare the xo trail to the zee. Both have 4 piston. The zees can be had for under 300.00

mtbr member
    I love the shorty lever ergonomics on the XTs.
    Plenty of power as well.

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    Running the xo trails on my bike and loving them. Better than the xt that I had in the past (the gen before the current ones). Just like the codes I had a long time ago, they are very strong in power but still maintain good modulation. Unlike avid 2 pot brakes that don't have the noise and turkey wobble issues, mine have been silent (well very quite), but that being said I really done like avids current rotors as they seem to make very brake bad ado I'm running a set off g2 rotors that I have

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    The xt s that came on my Bronson are getting changed out for the avid xo trails. I think the xt stoppers don't have the modulation my avids have had in the past.

Creepy tooth fairy
    Plenty of cats out there have had issues with the various Juicy and Elixir series brakes. That said, I ran the first series of Juicy 5's from '05 for over five years without any problems. However, their dual-piston big brother in the Code R's are terrific. They are only a wee bit heavier than the trails, they are less expensive and more powerful. I have had two different sets of them with zero problems. I personally do not like the feel of Shimanos as they are very on/off in nature. The twin piston brakes (Avids, Hopes, etc.) have superior modulation and the few ounces are worth it.
    the going won't get good 'til I'm good and gone