mtbr member
    May 2009

XC is lighter and stiffer, is the LTc next?

So it seems as if Santa Cruz did a great job with the XC. They have made it lighter (4 lb frame) and stiffer. That is awesome. I am not an XC guy though. I currently have an LTc and love it. It is very stiff and tears up the trails. Anyone think or know of Santa Cruz doing the same with the LTc as they have with the XC? How awesome would it be to have an LTc frame around 5 lbs, maybe less, and be even stiffer? Thoughts or knowledge?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    The new XC Carbon is 4.1 lbs vs. 4.2 lbs for prior years (med frame, RP23). The biggest improvement is the tapered head tube... hence "lighter and stiffer". I doubt if most folks would notice any difference.

b a n n e d
    that and I would be willing to bet that the LT is getting phased out in the next few product releases. Its not a race platform and there's just so much overlap now between the LT and the new TR and Nomad that the LT (I would guess) will detract from sales of those two models. I dunno, just a guess . . . I have zero evidence to support this . . .

I would be interested to see SC's sales figures on their product lines . . . particularly the XC, AL LT, LTc, AL Nomad, Nomad C and the Tallboy. Its hard to say which is the "best" seller . . . you would think based on reading these forums that its Carbon Nomad or Tallboy . . . but not everyone riding an SC is on these forums. According to my LBS they sell mostly Tallboy's these days.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    In these parts (Vancouver - Whistler - Squamish), the LT is by far the most common bike on the trails. It's the best package for all day adventures, more comfortable (ie. more plush) than the XC and far better for climbing than the Nomad.
    Having said all that, I'd choose the Tallboy over the LT if I had to do it over again. IMO, it can tackle everything the LT can.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Double post deleted.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiendbear
    The new XC Carbon is 4.1 lbs vs. 4.2 lbs for prior years (med frame, RP23). The biggest improvement is the tapered head tube... hence "lighter and stiffer". I doubt if most folks would notice any difference.
    According to SC they not only tapered the head tube, but increased the tope tube, and down tube sizes which stiffened the bottom bracket and seattube areas. SC says that all of this has increased the overall stiffness of the frame "dramatically". I am guessing that anyone who owns and rides the carbon XC1 and rides the carbon XC2 will notice a difference. Doing all those improvements and dropping the weight .1 lbs is a big deal.

In regards to SC doing away with the LT or LTc, I cannot see that happening. I work at a bike shop that sells SC along the Wasatch Front in Utah and most of the guys in the shop including myself ride and love the LTc. We also sell more LTcs than any other Santa Cruz bike. I am pretty sure (someone correct me if I am wrong) that the LT/LTc is Santa Cruz' best selling bike. If I owned Santa Cruz I would not phase out my best selling bike.

So I did bring up the topic because the technology is there and happening. I truly believe and hope that SC can and will use their new carbon lay up to make the LTc lighter and stiffer. They did it with the XC and Ibis did it with their new Mojo SL-R (pretty much a lighter stiffer SL).

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by brumos
    In these parts (Vancouver - Whistler - Squamish), the LT is by far the most common bike on the trails. It's the best package for all day adventures, more comfortable (ie. more plush) than the XC and far better for climbing than the Nomad.
    Having said all that, I'd choose the Tallboy over the LT if I had to do it over again. IMO, it can tackle everything the LT can.
    Quote Originally Posted by neblackb
    In regards to SC doing away with the LT or LTc, I cannot see that happening. I work at a bike shop that sells SC along the Wasatch Front in Utah and most of the guys in the shop including myself ride and love the LTc. We also sell more LTcs than any other Santa Cruz bike. I am pretty sure (someone correct me if I am wrong) that the LT/LTc is Santa Cruz' best selling bike. If I owned Santa Cruz I would not phase out my best selling bike.
    Both valid points, but you fail to consider the influence of the new TRc into the mix. Just because the LT is their current best seller does not mean this will hold true as the new TRc becomes available and more common, especially if they release an AL version of it down the line. Based on the reactions I've seen in this forum, the new TRc seems to have a substantial amount of interest already just based on the numbers and geo.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7
    Both valid points, but you fail to consider the influence of the new TRc into the mix. Just because the LT is their current best seller does not mean this will hold true as the new TRc becomes available and more common, especially if they release an AL version of it down the line. Based on the reactions I've seen in this forum, the new TRc seems to have a substantial amount of interest already just based on the numbers and geo.

I hear what you're saying, but the TRc is a NEW model so naturally it's going to garner more interest. No doubt it'll be another fansatic bike but trying to judge a bike's success based on internet chatter and all the marketing voodoo is a bit of a stretch.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Could be true. I think that the TRc will do very well. I would not be interested at all since it is only 120mm of travel. I believe that many of the LT/LTc followers are like myself. We like that 140 to 150mm of travel, but don't want to go up to a Nomad where you make the jump to a 36 fork and add weight. These days being able to have a longer travel bike at around 24-26 pounds is awesome. If SC can use their new technology making a stiffer LTc and dropping a pound off the frame weight... A 22-24 pound 6 inch travel bike with a dropper post, I am sold! Ibis is saying that their new SL-R (140mm travel,can use 150mm fork like LTc) w/ full XTR is 22 lbs. I am pretty sure that they are using the same new carbon lay up that Santa Cruz is using on the new XC. So that makes me think that it is only a matter of time (6 months?) that they do the same with the LTc.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    TBH i dont believe the LT will be phased out. Looking at other manufacturers line ups all have a 140mm option. Yeti still produce a 575 despite having a asr5 etc. It makes no sense to drop the LT, i can see them updating it though.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by neblackb
    Could be true. I think that the TRc will do very well. I would not be interested at all since it is only 120mm of travel. I believe that many of the LT/LTc followers are like myself. We like that 140 to 150mm of travel, but don't want to go up to a Nomad where you make the jump to a 36 fork and add weight.
    Now THIS is an aspect I had failed to consider and something that I think you are 100% correct about . . . . I didn't fully realize that the TRc is only capable of a 120mm fork. I like my 150mm but as you point out, don't want to go to a 36mm stanchion.

Hmmm . . . well, time will tell!!

mtbr member
    I have to agree with the others, SC will not stop production on the LT, it is the perfect do it all bike.
    2013 SC Tallboy LTC
    2013 SC TRC
    2012 Jackal
    2014 Heckler

mtbr member
    SC has stated before that the LT is their best-seller. I cant imagine theyre phasing it out anytime soon. especially after they put out the LTc like a year and a half ago. im sure theyll update it, but it aint goin anywhere.

Got A Lust for Life...
    Quote Originally Posted by brumos
    +1...but they need to make the Tallboy much stiffer. That will happen and when it does, mine will be for sale cheap.
    I am immune to your disdain.

Commit or eat sh!t
    I didn't fully realize that the TRc is only capable of a 120mm fork.
    TRc is approved up to 140mm.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by Cable0guy
    TRc is approved up to 140mm.
    Yeah, I was just reading that its designed around 120-140mm with 130 being "the sweet spot".

The TRc with an Angleset might just be the ticket.

k^2
    Flamingo
    Dec 2007
    So much talk about a stiffer frame. Could somebody actually explain how does stiffer frame fell? I wonder if a person rode the old and new Blur XCc without looking at the frame, would he or she actually notice the difference? Is it that the difference might be felt only in extreme conditions?