mtbr member
    Jul 2013

X01 Option for Bronson or Nomad. What do you think?

I'm looking to purchase Bronson or Nomad bike. Before buying either one, I would appreciate anyone's feedback on whether to go with the standard setup or 1x11.

mtbr member
    1x11 provides a massive gear range, gets rid of a shifter from the bar so it's less cluttered, and gets rid of the fr. der., so there's no reason not to do it if you can.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Totally depends on where you ride and how strong you are. What's your current set up? Do you ride a 1X now? Do you have steep slow climbs where you can barely turn your lowest gear? Do you have a lot of high speed sections where you wind out your big ring (including road/fireroad)?

I am loving the xx1 on my bronson, it is a super clean set up. But yeah, sometimes I want a bigger or lower gear.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    If you got the 28 ring up front, would you really need a lower gear? I think in the xx1 that setup just about matches my 24x36 . . . . but yes, then you sacrifice on the bigger end

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    First I'd do the math. What do you ride now? What teeth (front/rear) is your current lowest gear? Highest?

The x0-1 system has a 420% range and you can move that range up/down by changing the front chain ring. However, unlike the XX1 the X01 has a minimum chainring size of 30 (not 28), and comes stock on the Nomad and Bronson with a 34T front ring. 34 front/42 back sounds like a pretty reasonable 1st gear to me, but being able to switch down to a 30T for a real stump puller is enough for me to not worry about it.

Gears will be slightly harder to push on the bronson than the nomad because of the slightly larger wheels.

I'd recommend (and am looking to purchase) the X01 because:
    * one less shifter/deraillure/cable sounds great
    * reviews are quite good, especially the chain retention
    * the simplicity of shift up/down when you want to go faster/slower without having to consider the front chain ring appeals to me.
    * 420% range is quite good, better than existing 1x10 setups.

So basically are you willing to put up with a bit less range of gears for a simpler setup?

The bronson vs nomad decision is tougher for me.
    * I like 26" wheels, but it does seem that many companies (trek, santa cruz, etc) are quickly migrating, I do wonder what the 26" wheel selection for nice wheels will be in 5 years. Advantage bronson.
    * Nomad has 10mm more suspension, advantage nomad
    * nomad can take slightly wider tires, bronson slightly taller.... call it a tie.
    * bronson is a slightly newer design, supports the direct mount deraiilure
    * nomad is slightly heavier, I'm 200+ pounds and I'd actually call this an advantage.
    Slightly larger headtube (full 1.5"), more suspension, and heavier frame leads me
    to think that the nomad might be a bit more durable.
    * Nomad bundles I looked at were $100-$200 cheaper than the bronson, advantage
    nomad

I loved my original (2003) blur till it broke, and love my Blur LT that replaced it (thanks SC). I'm torn on the bronson vs nomad decision.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    what is it about xo1 that it cant take a 28T ring?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    The XX1 crank spider is carbon fiber and has a slightly small bolt diameter. The X0-1 is aluminum and slightly larger. The good news is that x0-1 compatible with many bash guards that the XX1 isn't.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Got you, thanks. I am in pretty good shape so I doubt I would have problems with 30T or even 34T in my area, STL, but I am moving to colorado and plan on climbing alot more so its hard to tell.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'm thinking 1x11 for my next bike too. I ride front range Colorado, and need all the low gear I can get. My "home" trail (deer creek) hits 25% grade, and I occasionally struggle up a 35% grade section(Indian creek up to the ridge). I'm thinking 28t is for me, but will probably also buy a 32 or 34t for longer marathon races without crazy steeps. 28x42 is the exact same low gear as a 24x36.

Adam

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    You also can run whatever cranks you want, including normal x0 cranks with aftermarket wide-narrow chain rings. So I wouldn't worry about it too much.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    You also can run whatever cranks you want, including normal x0 cranks with aftermarket wide-narrow chain rings. So I wouldn't worry about it too much.
    True. Would be nice just to switch rings, but not a deal breaker.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    would you be able to change the rings on other aftermarket cranks without removing the crank?
    that would be really convenient

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MadTony View Post
    I'm thinking 1x11 for my next bike too. I ride front range Colorado, and need all the low gear I can get. My "home" trail (deer creek) hits 25% grade, and I occasionally struggle up a 35% grade section(Indian creek up to the ridge). I'm thinking 28t is for me, but will probably also buy a 32 or 34t for longer marathon races without crazy steeps. 28x42 is the exact same low gear as a 24x36.

Adam
    I second this and Deer Creek is a trail I ride regularly. Most of the trails on the FR are very steep and pretty cluttered with rocks and debris they take leg strength and a low gear. Some of my very fit buddies run 30x36 but I can't push that range.
    Narrow is the path to life, few are those who find it.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I don't have a Bronson, but I absolutely love the xx1 set-up on my TBc
    High Intensity Interval Training and Weights Program:
    http://www.maxworkoutsguide.com

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by spikebike View Post
    The XX1 crank spider is carbon fiber and has a slightly small bolt diameter. The X0-1 is aluminum and slightly larger. The good news is that x0-1 compatible with many bash guards that the XX1 isn't.
    The XX1 crank is carbon, But the spider is Alloy.

With the X01 crank if someone needed the 28 tooth ring they could take the spider off & put a Wolf tooth ring on.

Direct Mount for SRAM GXP Cranks | wolftoothcycling.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    The XX1 crank is carbon, But the spider is Alloy.

With the X01 crank if someone needed the 28 tooth ring they could take the spider off & put a Wolf tooth ring on.

Direct Mount for SRAM GXP Cranks | wolftoothcycling.com
    Yeah echoing this, it's worth pointing out that the cranks are really independent of the 1x11 setup. It looks like the XO1 crank I've seen has a 104 BCD spider with aluminum crank arms. You could just as easily run XO carbon cranks with the spiderless chainrings available from Wolftooth or NSB.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    Yeah echoing this, it's worth pointing out that the cranks are really independent of the 1x11 setup. It looks like the XO1 crank I've seen has a 104 BCD spider with aluminum crank arms. You could just as easily run XO carbon cranks with the spiderless chainrings available from Wolftooth or NSB.
    I'm told the OE X01 cranks are Alloy but the after market X01 cranks will be carbon.