mtbr member

Would the Superlight make a good trailbike??

I ride in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. We have awsome trails up here. Rocky and rooty trails to smooth singletrack, also alot of fireroads and 2-track trails. I don't do any drops or anything, just ride what you find on the trail. My current bike is a Jamis hardtail, which is getting worn out. I put on about 50 or so mostly trail miles a week. I want a bike that climbs, is light, and can be ridden for a few hours comfortably. Alot of the folks in our group ride have HI-Fi's and Trek Fuels and Trance's. I want something different. Is the Superlight a good choice?

Thanks in advance!!

mtbr member
    Wow, 70 people on here and no replies. Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Yes, it's perfect for what you ride. I love my 07 Superlight, its a great bike.

You mentioned the HiFi. I demoed one, it was nice but I like my Superlight better. The Superlight doesn't seem quite as plush, but is much quicker and more responsive. You are coming from a hardtail anyway, so the Superlight will probably feel more comfortable with what you are used to.

Get one, you will love it.

mtbr member
    Thanks Mando - What trim package did you get?

tmp
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The SL makes a great trailbike and I've replaced my 03 this year with an 07. The new bike climbs better than the old one and even with a 120mm fork it still feels great in the tight stuff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackhammer
    Thanks Mando - What trim package did you get?
    I got the "D" package, mostly because I'm a tightwad. I don't regret the decision at all. It's not the lightest SL on the block, but the components are good.

mtbr member
    the super light is very responsive on the single track. my boss rode one for years and even raced them. the single pivot never fails

"so pitted"
    I have an SL and it's used all over the mountain. I climb to descend. Just about to build up an 07 SL (I switched the old SL). If I'm not lazy I'll post pics. I'm also riding a fork adjusted to 125-130 which is the max you can ride on the frame with out getting the pop-o-wheelie effect. You could always get the Heckler which is a bit heavier but not by much (more travel 5" as opposed to 4"). MBA has a great review of the bike ( a few issues ago) and I think it's on Santa Cruz's website.

Mt Wilson Motoboy

It's what YOU make it.

I think all these terms such as "trail bike" or "all mountain bike" are all marketing jargon. Any bike that can get up and down the trail will do. Granted, you may not want to take a hardtail and go lift riding or go climbing w/ a 40pound DH'er...but most folks will press whatever bike they have into the situation at hand. That said, if you feel good on 4" then a trailbike it is!
    "My people are the people of the dessert!"
    said T.E. Lawrence picking up his fork...

Tough Guy Extraordinaire
    Coming from a HT you'll be very happy with the feel of the SL. My buddy has a Cake and the difference between the two is huge. The cake is much more plush, but also has a ton of bob and seems a bit more sluggish.

I would consider the shock upgrade to the Rp-23 if it doesn't brake your budget.

Members who have read this thread: 0