mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Would love to get the Solo but...

Why they heck does Santa Cruz only offer a 2 x 10 build kit in the XTR grouping? SC's prices are ridiculously high enough. Then if you want to get the 2 x 10 setup you have to jump up to the XTR group. I am perfectly happy riding either XT or X9 but want my bike to be 2 x 10. The only XT group they offer on the Solo build kit is 3 x 10. It is a head scratcher. I also think Santa Cruz prices are a little high personally. When you compare SC to Pivot and Ibis you get better deals from both Pivot and Ibis.

Chuck

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by procos View Post
    Why they heck does Santa Cruz only offer a 2 x 10 build kit in the XTR grouping? SC's prices are ridiculously high enough. Then if you want to get the 2 x 10 setup you have to jump up to the XTR group. I am perfectly happy riding either XT or X9 but want my bike to be 2 x 10. The only XT group they offer on the Solo build kit is 3 x 10. It is a head scratcher. I also think Santa Cruz prices are a little high personally. When you compare SC to Pivot and Ibis you get better deals from both Pivot and Ibis.

Chuck
    Coloradocyclist.com. Build it how you like it

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by h20-50 View Post
    Coloradocyclist.com. Build it how you like it
    I thought of that but usually a factory build kit is a lot cheaper. Usually when you custom build a bike the price get's even more out of hand.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I thought of that but usually a factory build kit is a lot cheaper. Usually when you custom build a bike the price get's even more out of hand.
    They're a great company. I'm not sure when they will have the Solo in stock but give them a call and explain your price concerns. I'm sure they will be willing to work with you plus normally if you build it with them they discount everything except the frame.

um... yeah
    Oct 2006
    It doesn't matter which chainring setup they spec (1, 2 or 3 rings), people will want something else and complain.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    They're a great company. I'm not sure when they will have the Solo in stock but give them a call and explain your price concerns. I'm sure they will be willing to work with you plus normally if you build it with them they discount everything except the frame.
    Thanks for the info. I'll give them a call when I am ready to pull the trigger.

b a n n e d
    +1 for going custom. Except for their "package bikes" (i.e., the R-AM and SPX-AM kits) SC quite clearly marks the component groups either at or above MSRP, which to be honest is pretty absurd. You'd have to be either A) an idiot, b) lazy or c) super-baller to buy one of their builds.

SC, I really hope you're reading this . . . .
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Where are you guys seeing the pricing on the kits? Bike builder doesn't show up for me...

How do you talk SC down on price, you can't buy direct? Or can you?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    +1 for going custom. Except for their "package bikes" (i.e., the R-AM and SPX-AM kits) SC quite clearly marks the component groups either at or above MSRP, which to be honest is pretty absurd. You'd have to be either A) an idiot, b) lazy or c) super-baller to buy one of their builds.

SC, I really hope you're reading this . . . .
    Great info thanks.

Ted
    Ted in real life
    +1 for Colorado Cyclist. I built my TallboyC there last year and was/am very happy. The SC build kits were not quite what I wanted.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    There is no frame only price for SoloC. If assuming that it will be ~2700$ like most of SC carbon frames, custom build turns up to be more appealing than complete kits. But, as long as they don't sell frames separately, there is no choice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Why they heck does Santa Cruz only offer a 2 x 10 build kit in the XTR grouping?
    Imagine the royal pain in the ass it would be to stock 1X, 2X, and 3X groups at multiple price points. Then multiply that by two manufacturers. Then multiply that by the number of models in your line-up. Friggin' nightmare!

Also 2X10 doesn't make a lot of sense to me, and there is growing consensus on this. You still need a front derailleur and shifter, but you have a range that is less useful than 3X, and you don't get the middle chainring where lots of people spend much of their rides (and for which many suspension designs are optimized). So, no less complex, only a slight weight savings, and a more limited range.

Go 3X or all-in with 1X.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by OGRipper View Post

Go 3X or all-in with 1X.
    This is where I've ended up after a few years of experimentation as well. Only exception being when replacing the big ring of a triple with a bash
    here we go again

mtbr member
    I started off with a 3x on my Nomad.

Dropped the big ring for a bash guard.

Then realized I wasn't using the granny and that I was climbing tech better than ever since I wasn't spinning the back wheel as much with the higher gear.

So I dropped the front der, run a single ring with chain guide and haven't looked back.

My GF is going down the same path on her Nomad and is down to using only the middle ring most of time and finding her techy climbing improving despite not being a uber strong rider. Next bike we'll get her a XX1 type setup with a single ring and uber wide range cassette.

If I bought a new SC bike I would do a custom build and get what I wanted right off the bat.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Imagine the royal pain in the ass it would be to stock 1X, 2X, and 3X groups at multiple price points. Then multiply that by two manufacturers. Then multiply that by the number of models in your line-up. Friggin' nightmare!

Also 2X10 doesn't make a lot of sense to me, and there is growing consensus on this. You still need a front derailleur and shifter, but you have a range that is less useful than 3X, and you don't get the middle chainring where lots of people spend much of their rides (and for which many suspension designs are optimized). So, no less complex, only a slight weight savings, and a more limited range.

Go 3X or all-in with 1X.
    I built up a 2x XTR at coloradocyclist and love it. It has a middle middle chainring but no granny chainring. I usually stay in the largest chainring up front and rarely have to ever leave that one. It wasn't about weight savings, it was about getting rid of a gear I never use. Who needs 30 friggin gears anyhow, hell out of the 20 that I have I'm only in 7 of them 95% of the time. I agree 1x is optimal but there have been times where I was glad to have a 2x

mtbr member
    May 2006

Go 3X or all-in with 1X.
    Cant agree more. For those of us that hammers uphill on big chainrings in sprints, 2x just doesnt do it. Same for working on intervals. I actially lost a sprint two weeks ago with the 2x10

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I built up a 2x XTR at coloradocyclist and love it. It has a middle middle chainring but no granny chainring. I usually stay in the largest chainring up front and rarely have to ever leave that one. It wasn't about weight savings, it was about getting rid of a gear I never use. Who needs 30 friggin gears anyhow, hell out of the 20 that I have I'm only in 7 of them 95% of the time. I agree 1x is optimal but there have been times where I was glad to have a 2x
    So you have a 42 and 32? That is not what you would get with a typical 2X kit anyway. And if you can push a 42 around all day, I don't see why you are not going 1X.

In any case, to each their own. Personally I don't see any advantage to 2X. If I'm running the additional weight and complexity (such as it is) of multiple rings, I'll take 3, thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Go 3X or all-in with 1X.
    I disagree, though I think it in part has something to do with location. Here in the PNW I can't imagine why I'd ever want 3X, there is simply never an instance that I need to pedal a gear higher than 38x11. 2X10 works great when you run the proper 2X10 specific gears, for example a 26/38 front and a 11-36 cassette (perhaps smaller front rings for a 29er). 3X has so many overlapping and near-duplicate gears; 1X is the most efficient and every additional front ring lowers that efficiency. Also, where I ride, clearance is much more important than top-end speed.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LostBoyScout View Post
    3X has so many overlapping and near-duplicate gears; 1X is the most efficient and every additional front ring lowers that efficiency.
    I really don't want to belabor this any more, particularly since it's just personal opinion and yes, based on part on where you ride. That said, I don't see the problem with overlapping gears - on the contrary, with a 3X it's nice to be able to stay in one of 3 rings up front and avoid shifting the front der., which happens more often with a 2X.

Again, to each his/her own. I see the obvious advantages of 1X, and am loving XX1. After trying it for a while on one of my bikes, I just don't see the point of 2X.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    If you're ponying up $6k for a new bike, any decent LBS should be able to swap out a 3x10 with a 2x10 for NO charge. Really not an issue.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    So you have a 42 and 32? That is not what you would get with a typical 2X kit anyway. And if you can push a 42 around all day, I don't see why you are not going 1X.

In any case, to each their own. Personally I don't see any advantage to 2X. If I'm running the additional weight and complexity (such as it is) of multiple rings, I'll take 3, thanks.
    I have a 42/30 and yes I can push the 42 around all day on my local trails. It comes down to location and riding style. I like 42 because I stand and ride...everywhere!! I come from BMX so I'm really comfortable standing all the time. My friends think I ride awkward and nuts but when I have to stop and wait for them to catch up it proves my point, and they are not bad riders by any means. My local terrain is decently level besides a couple of quick climbs. Once you know the trails you know what to expect and can prepare for the climbs really quickly by gaining speed. The only time I use 30 is when I'm out of town, say Comfort, or Austin area as they can be really hilly. Plus I don't have every turn memorized so I can't carry speed comfortably as I can on my local trails. I want to go 1x someday but honestly having 2x comes in handy from time to time