mtbr member

Would like this option for the Nomad

Ibis is offering a new swingarm for the Mojo HD - 27.5 - which retrofits to the existing 26" model. I think SC needs to take a page out of Ibis' book and make this an option for the Nomad.

Ibis Swingarm Converts Mojo HD to 27.5-inch Wheels - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I don't think that will happen, because they seem to have 27.5 Nomad in the pipeline (according to spy photo from Whister). Besides, they don't even want to sell the new 142 rear end after market.

mtbr member
    I agree. I don't think there is any chance of SC doing this when they can make a lot more money with a completely new frame. I do, however, find Ibis' approach refreshing at this particular point in time when it seems everyone else is doing what they can to fleece as much $ as they can out of the consumer.

CAN YOU DIG IT??!!??!!!??
    I agree expat! It seems as though "maximum profit" is the business mantra now. What happened to companies customer loyalty?!?! Does customer = sucker now? Milk it for all it can give you & any unfavorable reviews/discussion is quashed by purchased position on search results.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    The difference between what Ibis are doing and what Santa Cruz are doing is one has bodged a 26" bike into a 27.5" bike and the other is doing what would appear to be a full clean sheet redesign.

mtbr member
    yeah exactly, ibis do all sorts of weird stuff with travel adjust 'chips' and convertible 650b to 26 frames, now the swingarm change option... all seems a bit gimmicky. SC don't do that kind of stuff ever, which is good, build it once build it right.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Here's your chance to own a 650b/27.5 bike made by the giant evil corp that takes us all for suckers, because they don't make hack options for their bikes and instead design new ones from the ground up.

https://org.salsalabs.com/o/2151/p/s...page_KEY=10546

It's never crossed my mind to accuse SC of fleecing me.

default title
    Mar 2008
    There are reams of posts here and elsewhere of people modifying their Mojo HD's into 650b's for years now. I've not seen anywhere that level of b-crazy over here in the Santa Cruz forum. Ibis is pulling this out due to user demand to better hack the hacks already in place.

..And both companies have been donating full bikes to different raffles for years - local CA and worldwide. No disrespect to either company. Hell, they're now HQ'ed a block away from one another.
    "My opinions are often more offensive than my *******." - Twindaddy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kattrap View Post
    There are reams of posts here and elsewhere of people modifying their Mojo HD's into 650b's for years now. I've not seen anywhere that level of b-crazy over here in the Santa Cruz forum. Ibis is pulling this out due to user demand to better hack the hacks already in place.
    Yeah right . . . I've never heard of people modifying [hacking] their Blur TRcs to make them 650B, or short shocking their Blur LTs, or putting a 27.5 front wheel on a Nomad, or doing any other manner of mods to make their SC bike a little bit more to their liking. That type of crazy sh!t is only done by those Ibis freaks? Seriously get focking real. People mod the sh!t out of their bikes, no matter what the brand, just to try and eke a bit more performance, or make it custom, or just for sh!ts and giggles. Whatever. I think it's pretty cool that Ibis if offering an [I]option[I] to mod your 26" bike without having to buy a whole new bike if you want to go 27.5.
    Last edited by expatrider; 12-16-2013 at 08:46 AM.

default title
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by expatrider View Post
    Yeah right . . . I've never heard of people modifying [hacking] their Blur TRcs to make them 650B, or short shocking their Blur LTs, or putting a 27.5 front wheel on a Nomad [...]
    The (sorry, YOUR) initial post was for a Nomad hack which I haven't seen much of. The TR/c is amazingly versatile to not really need hacks to go 650b. I'm pretty real, thanks.
    "My opinions are often more offensive than my *******." - Twindaddy

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I don't even understand why you'd buy a swingarm, shock, fork and set of wheels for an old bike.
    If your bike is in good enough shape, sell it and buy a new bike.
    If your bike is in crappy shape, all this new crap isn't going to fix the rest of the clapped out parts.

If I wanted to turn my truck into a diesel, I wouldnt start looking at what engines retrofit. Things are purpose built to avoid compromises.
    here we go again

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by expatrider View Post
    Ibis is offering a new swingarm for the Mojo HD - 27.5 - which retrofits to the existing 26" model. I think SC needs to take a page out of Ibis' book and make this an option for the Nomad.

Ibis Swingarm Converts Mojo HD to 27.5-inch Wheels - Pinkbike
    I agree.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Would like this option for the Nomad

Quote Originally Posted by eleven-yo View Post
    I don't even understand why you'd buy a swingarm, shock, fork and set of wheels for an old bike.
    If your bike is in good enough shape, sell it and buy a new bike.
    If your bike is in crappy shape, all this new crap isn't going to fix the rest of the clapped out parts.

If I wanted to turn my truck into a diesel, I wouldnt start looking at what engines retrofit. Things are purpose built to avoid compromises.
    A new HDR frame only is $2,700
    A complete bikes go for about $6k to $10k
    A swing arm $600
    Wheels $600
    Fork $800 but many Fox forks can fit a 650
    Shock $300 but many owners already have the right shock, just need to shim it.

For me I have a 2012 HD 650 & it initially cost me wheels only to go 650. I have since installed a true 650 fork used $400. My total cost $1100 to go 650. Personally I'd rather pay that versus $6k for basically the same bike.

Your list which is the worst case scenario would run $2300, which is still a lot cheaper than $6k.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbbiker View Post
    A new HDR frame only is $2,700
    A complete bikes go for about $6k to $10k
    A swing arm $600
    Wheels $600
    Fork $800 but many Fox forks can fit a 650
    Shock $300 but many owners already have the right shock, just need to shim it.

For me I have a 2012 HD 650 & it initially cost me wheels only to go 650. I have since installed a true 650 fork used $400. My total cost $1100 to go 650. Personally I'd rather pay that versus $6k for basically the same bike.

Your list which is the worst case scenario would run $2300, which is still a lot cheaper than $6k.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Hmmm.... it could work a little differently then that.

- wheels are a wash since they must be bought in either scenario.
    - fork is a wash also since the users current fork may or may not work with 650, the option to replace a swinarm has no bearing here.
    - All other parts are a wash as well since they could be transfered.

So all that is really left is the frame and possibly shock.

In my case, I'd rather have a purpose built 650 bike. I could sell my nomad frame and shock and buy a bronson or HDR or whatever. Used carbon nomad frame maybe goes for 1400, is that reasonable? New bronson frame retails for $2899, but it's probably possible to talk your shop down to $2500 or so. So for $1100, plus any other fixed costs that the same 650 conversion route would cost such as wheels and fork, I can have a purpose built 650 b bike with updated geometrys like a little more reach (the one thing I would like with my nomad). The 650 convert guy saves $500 (1100 new 650 frame vs 600 for new swing arm conversion) at best, assuming no new shock hardware or mods are needed.