b a n n e d

Wonder if/how SC will respond to this

I clearly live under a rock, but I just heard about the Ibis Mojo-SL "Special Blend," which is a low spec bike for sure, but a complete carbon fiber bike for $2750? SC's framesets are that much!

If I were in the market for a new rig, you bet I'd give a very, very serious look at the Ibis.

Ibis Mojo SL Special Blend Build Bike > Complete Bikes > All-Mountain & Trail Mountain Bikes | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Hell, at that price point its almost worth it for me to buy it, swap all the parts with my Blur and sell Blur and ride a shiny new carbon Mojo . . . might cost me a couple hundred at most for a brand new carbon frame.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    It's funny, I was just in the market for a bike after not riding for years. After shopping around and seeing what's out there, it was the Special Blend that got me really thinking about spending real money on a bike. A full Mojo for less than 3k!

So I did the sensible thing and demo'ed the bike as well as a Blur LT al, and ended up loving the Blur which was about the same price with the R kit. Then after looking over the kits, I decided to go with the SPX kit as a better long-term value.

Kind of nuts but riding a 3k carbon mojo led me to buy a 4k aluminum blur.

mtbr member
    dang thats a nice deal. good lookin bike. not sure if its a great idea for Ibisi to drop their prices that much

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Isis is trying to move some older frame stock/tech - the SL - while not cannibalizing or eroding the brand. It's an interesting strategy, similar to Panasonic offering a great deal on a TV through Costco with a new part number and different bezel color. The other retailers can't complain much because it's different, and because it's not an open market. Costco has to commit to a ton of TV's and the customer base is not the general public.

They typical Ibis customer will probably want the latest advancements - tapered HT etc., so I'm sure Ibis is hoping to win customers just downmarket of where they are right now, and isn't that how most brands expand anyway?

But it's not as liquid a market as buying an HD or SL-R, because dealers have to commit to buy a bunch of special blends. It makes you wonder though, if the SB's are moving steadily and Ibis doesn't detect any cannibalization, if they will continue on after the original allotment has shipped..

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by gravity321 View Post
    Isis is trying to move some older frame stock/tech - the SL - while not cannibalizing or eroding the brand . . . I'm sure Ibis is hoping to win customers just downmarket of where they are right now . . .
    Exactly. I think its a great strategy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    It's great for everyone. The newest axle standard isn't important to someone who's now in that market. To have the SB as an option is awesome, but unfortunately the geometry wasn't for me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    This looks like its just selling old stock, and a typical supply and demand equation. I'm sure if you found a bike shop with a Santa Cruz frame from 2008 with a monarch on it you'd get a great deal right now.
    Who's gonna pay more than 2750 for a frame thats five years old, no tapered steerer, some generic parts and x-fusion fork and shock?
    I'd prefer a nice aluminum frame with fox suspension for that kind of money, but Ibis doesn't offer that option.
    here we go again

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by eleven-yo View Post
    This looks like its just selling old stock, and a typical supply and demand equation. I'm sure if you found a bike shop with a Santa Cruz frame from 2008 with a monarch on it you'd get a great deal right now.
    Who's gonna pay more than 2750 for a frame thats five years old, no tapered steerer, some generic parts and x-fusion fork and shock?
    I'd prefer a nice aluminum frame with fox suspension for that kind of money, but Ibis doesn't offer that option.
    You miss the point. Of course you nor I, or most others reading this forum would buy that . . . but again, MTBR does NOT represent even a fraction of the primary MTB consumer segment. And sure, they are just selling off old stock, but if it acquire's them a new customer or three in the process then I'd call it a success. There's a LOT of brand loyalty in the MTB industry and this is an excellent business move in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    You miss the point.
    I guess I did miss the point. I don't understand how this is different than the low Nickel pricing on chainlove, or any other very low sale price of an older Santa Cruz model thats being phased out? When the Blur XC carbon went to tapered (I owned one of the straight steerer frames), you could find great deals on the inch and an eighth from online retailers especially. There's probably a thread about it.

Is the point that Ibis got your attention by saying "its a special blend" and that makes everybody believe that this is not an inventory liquidation? My bet is that Ibis isn't receiving new shipments of that frame but getting rid of old and slow-moving inventory in a clever way. Which is great for them, they are good at things like that, its good sales strategy, and surprising that nobody else does it.
    here we go again

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by eleven-yo View Post
    My bet is that Ibis isn't receiving new shipments of that frame but getting rid of old and slow-moving inventory in a clever way. Which is great for them, they are good at things like that, its good sales strategy, and surprising that nobody else does it.
    Exactly. And sure, you can get discontinued SC FRAMES at a steal of a price compared to new (e.g., the Nickel), but what mid to entry level biker (whom the special blend is likely targeted at) is going to build up a frame? Not many.

mtbr member
    How will SC respond? My guess is they will do nothing and continue to sell their high margin bikes with a smile on their face....
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    How will SC respond? My guess is they will do nothing and continue to sell their high margin bikes with a smile on their face....
    Probably true!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    I clearly live under a rock, but I just heard about the Ibis Mojo-SL "Special Blend," which is a low spec bike for sure, but a complete carbon fiber bike for $2750? SC's framesets are that much!
    Ibis's frameset's are that much too. Just look at the HD. So are Yeti's carbon bikes, my buddy just dropped $2900 on an SB66 c. I think its great for buyers. I would love it the market on carbon frames would have the prices driven down. I think its a plus. It may also get more folks into carbon bikes who might not have purchased one at the current rate.

It'd be interesting to know if SC has any old stock left. It seems like all the carbon bikes they have are selling pretty well. I would wonder about the original Blur XC carbon market thought. That'd be the one I suspect that would lose its market share with the onset of 29er Tallboy C's.
    Narrow is the path to life, few are those who find it.