mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Will Santa Cruz Ever make these?

I recently got a 5010, and I am loving it.
    But I cant keep wondering if Santa Cruz will make the following bikes.
    1.) "Medium Boy" a 650b for 100mm travel in back. I love my 5010, but I cant help wondering what a 100mm rear/120mm front would be like?
    2.) Carbon road bike. Santa Cruz could carve out a niche with those who like their s**t to work. Make a carbon road bike that takes a threaded bb, press-in tapered headset and cables running on the outside of the frame. Most new-ish road frames have internal headsets and PF30 BB- this stuff is nothing but problems and noise. Going old-school (but new enough for mixed taper press-in headset) would be sweet!
    Also external cables. Bikes with internal cables are evil- they don't shift well and it is a pain to change cables.
    3.) Carbon cross bike. Same as above- threaded bb, press-in headset and external cables. Disc and Canti options.
    Santa Cruz- feel free to contact me

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bootsie_cat View Post
    1.) "Medium Boy" a 650b for 100mm travel in back. I love my 5010, but I cant help wondering what a 100mm rear/120mm front would be like?
    I doubt it. The 100mm market is pretty well filled with 29ers. Shorter riders riders would love one, but I think the Solo wouldn't really be any faster with 25mm less travel.

2.) Carbon road bike. Santa Cruz could carve out a niche with those who like their s**t to work. Make a carbon road bike that takes a threaded bb, press-in tapered headset and cables running on the outside of the frame. Most new-ish road frames have internal headsets and PF30 BB- this stuff is nothing but problems and noise. Going old-school (but new enough for mixed taper press-in headset) would be sweet!
    Also external cables. Bikes with internal cables are evil- they don't shift well and it is a pain to change cables.
    As cool as it would be, it just won't generate the volume needed to be profitable. But I'm totally with you on threaded BBs, external cables and press in headsets which is one of the reasons I returned to Santa Cruz.

3.) Carbon cross bike. Same as above- threaded bb, press-in headset and external cables. Disc and Canti options.
    Santa Cruz- feel free to contact me
    This is a possibility and I would buy one if they released it. I had a Stigmata and loved it, but I absolutely HATE rim brakes and sold it for a Specialized Crux Disc.
    Santa Cruz Bronson - Niner EMD9 Rigid

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by killjoyken View Post
    This is a possibility and I would buy one if they released it. I had a Stigmata and loved it, but I absolutely HATE rim brakes and sold it for a Specialized Crux Disc.

Same here! I'm loving my Crux so far (haven't had to mess with the headset/BB/cables yet), but absolutely would have gone for a carbon Stigmata (as described here) if it existed.

There is definitely a contingent that would appreciate those touches on a road bike as well, but with maintenance less of an issue there it's probably a smaller number. The road bike market is confusing too- seems at once both extraordinarily diluted and over priced.

I agree too that a 100mm 27.5 bike probably has pretty limited appeal these days. Could change if 29"ers really start to lose their "momentum" on the XC circuit, but unless/until that happens anyone that only wants 4" travel is probably only interested in big wheels too.
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I want to see an AM Steel hardtail that will take a 140-160 and is less Chameleon geometry and more TRc geometry. ISCG tabs, press fit headset, screw in BB, 142 in the back with a 67-68 head angle.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    SCB considered doing a carbon Stigmata to compete in the higher end cross market, but decided no after projecting not enough frames would sell to justify high cost of molds, and shortly thereafter the aluminum Stigmata was discontinued

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    A steel hard tail would be a nice offering from Santa Cruz. I'd also like to see a shorter travel gravity bike from them. Something like a 180 mm travel, lower, slacker Nomad.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2011 Yeti 303R DH
    2012 Banshee Spitfire V1.5

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    This thread made me throw up in my mouth

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by supercusty View Post
    This thread made me throw up in my mouth
    Thanks for your contribution. Care to elaborate, or are you just trolling?

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    My opinions
    1. Cyclocross is stupid
    2. This is a mountain bike company. Road biking is also stupid.
    3. I ride everything form hard core xc to hard core dh on a 160mm bike im pretty sure the 125mm solo is just fine

mtbr member
    That's better. Here are my opinions:

1. Cyclocross is stupid
    Agreed, but cyclocross bikes are awesome. Cyclocross races are as fun to watch as WC DH races. Cow bells FTW.

2. This is a mountain bike company. Road biking is also stupid.
    A mountain bike company started by a skateboarder that has built both a road bike and a cyclocross bike. Pigeonholing your company into one niche is stupid. Example: Niner.

3. I ride everything form hard core xc to hard core dh on a 160mm bike im pretty sure the 125mm solo is just fine
    WTF is "hard core xc"??? Do you drink Mountain Dew in lycra? How many xc races have you won on your 160mm bike? BTW, don't take any of this seriously, I'm just bored.

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    As fun to watch as wc dh lollerz
    If the road and cyclocross bikes were good they would still be making them
    No one said anything about racing
    Ameteur xc races are also stupid... Ooh look at me I'm the best at exercising

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    I've ridden amateur XC races on my CX bike.

Double dammed.

I'm just a rebel.

mtbr member
    Lol @ supercusty. I like the way he thinks and there is zero sarcasm in that.

I'd like to see a small Tallboy LTc. I guess if the geometry allowed for it they'd have made it available.
    I have a black belt in MS Paint.

2013 Santa Cruz Bronson Carbon
    2013 StumpJumper FSR Comp Carbon 29er

mtbr member
    Ooh look at me I'm the best at exercising
    That's one of Kenny Powers' best lines from East Bound & Down.

"Medium Boy" a 650b for 100mm travel in back. I love my 5010, but I cant help wondering what a 100mm rear/120mm front would be like?
    I think this is as close as you are going to get.

https://shop.santacruzbicycles.com/s...tion-1537.html

I have one and it almost feels like a dirt jumper after I ride my Atlas 29er. I like these conversions due to their short wheelbases and chainstays and have a Works angleset on the way to slacken the front a little.