Thread: Wich bike?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Wich bike?

Hey there. I was hoping someone here can help me decide which bike I should buy. I live in Louisiana and sometimes ride the hillier Mississippi trails. The trails are very rocky and rooty in some areas. A few downhill sections that are pretty bumpy but nothing scary or major.I have been thinking either a superlight or a tallboy. Any insite on which bike would be better for this type of riding? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Guess I should throw the Blur tr in there too...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Vpp suspension on tall boy will have more maintenance but is a superior suspension design . Naturally no Pedal bob

rdb
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    You are probably between an XC orientated bike and a trail bike. All Mountain would probably be too much. Having said that, you may see two friends riding together on those trails you describe, one on a Superlight, the other on a Bronson and they would both be having a great time. I ride in New England and own a Superlight 29er and have demoed a Blur TR and a Bronson. If I had to pick one, I would take the Blur TR, because for me it was the most "fun". I suspect a Solo or Bantam is in my future, because the slightly bigger wheels make sense for New England, although I will demo a Tallboy LT and Tallboy, because New England riders rave about them. My Superlight with 100 mm fork is just too steep a head angle for me and I never feel confident descending. Other people are just fine descending on a Superlight. A Tallboy with 120 mm fork would give me a little slacker head angle, I just don't know if enough slacker. The Blur TR head angle is even slacker than Tallboy and I felt real confident descending. Bronson was great also, but I would never come close to using all the travel. Check out a few local bike shops and ask them what bike they recommend, don't worry about brand. You can match up the brand and model they recommend to a Santa Cruz model, if you are set on a Santa Cruz. Local knowledge is usually more accurate then posters guessing on your trail conditions. Good luck and let us know what you go with and why.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Thank you for the great info. This helps a lot. I am set on a Santa Cruz. I have read tons of reviews for every bike out there and Santa Cruz seems to by far have the most raving reviews on every bike they make. So, I will head to a local bike shop as suggested and see what they say. I am looking forward to joining the army of SC owners soon!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Thank you. Definitely helps narrow down my choices. I will post when I have made the purchase!