Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Why don't grease guns come with SC bikes?

Or do they and the LBS didn't give it to me. Seems like if you are forking out thousands of dollars, that should be included.

mtbr member
    This one "Or do they and the LBS didn't give it to me."

Talk to your LBS

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    As devil's advocate...I guess you could look at it the other way too. If you're shelling out thousands for a nice bike, $10 for a grease gun at any hardware store shouldn't break the bank. They can't include all of the tools to properly care for the bike. I would guess that most riders that will drop 4K on a bike probably already have a grease gun. I've had one for years.

Warrior's Society
    They have since changed the grease gun out. They now only send a grease injector head out. This is what we recieved 3 weeks ago with the wife's new Tallboy.

Have had LBS's not give out things like this before. The previous Tallboy we bought didn't come with one....but since I already has a couple, I really didn't care.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    weird, guess maybe there is the possibility the completes dont ship with one, but I find that really odd. I still recommend you ask the lbs, and on the side email SC for their take- just to verify.

Agree with above, they did change from the grease gun to a smaller injector. Good Luck!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bone Saw View Post
    As devil's advocate...I guess you could look at it the other way too. If you're shelling out thousands for a nice bike, $10 for a grease gun at any hardware store shouldn't break the bank. They can't include all of the tools to properly care for the bike. I would guess that most riders that will drop 4K on a bike probably already have a grease gun. I've had one for years.
    I get your point. But also playing devils advocate, this isn't my first high end mountain bike, just one that requires a grease gun to service. So I'm not a noob, just none of my previous 4 bikes required that tool. Also, they arent listed on the SC website and the few places I can find them online are expensive ($50-$80) and they are out of stock. I didn't know I could buy a generic grease gun so I'll probably go that route. I was just wondering if EVERYONE that bought a VPP SC got a grease gun with their purchase.

mtbr member
    you can just get one from local auto shop or home improvement, just get the right size.
    I have gone through several frames, even got 2 recently, all have come with grease gun, but again - purchased as frames.

mtbr member
    id think your LBS shoud have it. but if not, i boughjt the exact same grease gun at Harbor Freight for like $10-15 just make sure you get marine grease and not lithium grease

Bodhisattva
    My TB LT, purchased in August, came with a grease gun
    Life....the original terminal illness

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel View Post
    My TB LT, purchased in August, came with a grease gun
    Complete from the bike shop? Not a frame only?

mtbr member
    I got grease guns with the 2 Nomads we own.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    My Bronson C came with a grease gun and a tube of grease. A really crappy one IMO. Either the adjuster is jammed shut or it doesn't adjust. I had to flip the bike to get enough leverage to get the end onto the grease fitting, and a board and my bodyweight to get it off.
    I have a black belt in MS Paint.

2013 Santa Cruz Bronson Carbon
    2013 StumpJumper FSR Comp Carbon 29er

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I got a grease gun with my complete Bronson, but I think it's an older one. When I asked about the grease gun and any other stuff that came with the bike the guy at the LBS was a little confused. He went in the back and came out with seemingly random bits and pieces. I guess they just throw all that stuff in a big bin and don't hand it out unless people ask.

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SManZ View Post
    My Bronson C came with a grease gun and a tube of grease. A really crappy one IMO. Either the adjuster is jammed shut or it doesn't adjust. I had to flip the bike to get enough leverage to get the end onto the grease fitting, and a board and my bodyweight to get it off.
    Good -- I thought it was just me. Thought I was going to snap the zerk fitting off the first time I used it....

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by jmallory View Post
    Complete from the bike shop? Not a frame only?
    Good question. I bought a complete bike, but I hand picked the components as opposed to buying one of the Santa Cruz spec'd bikes, as shown on their website. So, technically, I bought a frame only.

I agree with others that the grease gun is crappy. I can't get a good seal and grease splooges everywhere. I'm getting an aftermarket gun from the hardware store.
    Life....the original terminal illness

mtbr member
    May 2008
    It's really not such a bad result for your frame to come without an SC grease gun:

The Santa Cruz grease gun

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    When was standing in the lbs this week and was trying to decide between a Heckler and a Bronson (complete bikes) I was told the Bronson comes with a grease gun.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    My Tallboy2 C, complete bike, that I bought in August came with one....I haven't tried it out yet but I have heard some that some of the guns work fine and some don't work at all.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I have 2 grease guns.
    One for the Blur and one for the Nomad.
    Never used them, lol!

7am Backcountry ;- )
    Grease gun which came with the blur today

[SIZE="1"][SIZE="2"]i can't ride for sh*t but i'm good at extreme pushing[/SIZE][/SIZE]

7am Backcountry ;- )
    also according to this

https://shop.santacruzbicycles.com/vplsterms

"Grease guns only included with VPP frames.
    "

so they shoudl all come with them
    [SIZE="1"][SIZE="2"]i can't ride for sh*t but i'm good at extreme pushing[/SIZE][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    May 2008
    It looks like they changed the type of grease gun that ships with the frames. Hopefully, that model will work. Now they include grease too. Nice.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I got a gun and only bought a frame. But sc should be shipping one. These frames need constant greasing.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member

Why don't grease guns come with SC bikes?

I have a TRc and a Bronson c and they both came with a grease gun and a spare derailuer hanger too. My bronson came with a new style grease gun

7am Backcountry ;- )
    How often should you grease in dry dusty conditions? And wet muddy conditions?

Any special grease to use when my factory stuff runs out?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast