Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29

Thread: Whos the idiot?

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TheJoker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    115

    Whos the idiot?

    So heres my story.....my car was in the shop leaking oil, I get it fixed and pick it up this morning by riding my superlight to the shop. I put the bike up top and start riding home, the car starts shaking and sputtering (its an 03 Suburu w/50K) so I bring it back to the shop. Guy says, I'll bring it right in. I then say"should I take the bike off the top" he says "Nah, it'll be fine" 30 seconds later he rams the bike into the garage overhang and the seatpost and seat are trashed, the bike flys off the roof of the car and lands on the concrete driveway.

    Am I the idiot? Is he the idiot? Or are both of us idiots?

    By the way, there are three entrances to the garage, 2 of them the bike would made it in easily!
    _____________________________
    Not clown........Joker..

    RideMFRide
    www.crankskins.com

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bullit_cn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,432
    all I can say is "Sh*t happens" mate
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Stumpy_Steve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,343
    no offesnse, but i would blame you. its easy to forget a bike on the roof if you're not used to it, but since you have the bike, and should know by now that he was probably going to bring it IN the garage. plus, you should have though safe than sorry. but they should cover the bike post/saddle though, or at least comp something. ****, they just fixed a car and its broke again... try another shop while youre at it...

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    14
    Obviously you didn't read what TheJoker had posted. TheJoker said he had asked the worker if it was alright to leave his bike on top of the car. The guy at the shop said it would be alright. Then the worker slammed the bike into the garage overhang, its obviously the workers fault for telling him its alright to leave it on the top. The guy working there should know the clearance of the overhang. Besides any smart auto shop has huge ass garage doors that would be tall enough for a bike on top of a car to clear it. Unless they are working out of a home garage .

    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy_Steve
    no offesnse, but i would blame you. its easy to forget a bike on the roof if you're not used to it, but since you have the bike, and should know by now that he was probably going to bring it IN the garage. plus, you should have though safe than sorry. but they should cover the bike post/saddle though, or at least comp something. ****, they just fixed a car and its broke again... try another shop while youre at it...

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Stumpy_Steve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,343
    Quote Originally Posted by flow_azn
    Obviously you didn't read what TheJoker had posted. TheJoker said he had asked the worker if it was alright to leave his bike on top of the car. The guy at the shop said it would be alright. Then the worker slammed the bike into the garage overhang, its obviously the workers fault for telling him its alright to leave it on the top. The guy working there should know the clearance of the overhang. Besides any smart auto shop has huge ass garage doors that would be tall enough for a bike on top of a car to clear it. Unless they are working out of a home garage .
    it's about covering your own ass and not relying on some mechanic to tell you YOUR bike will be ok. i would have taken it off if it's stood up on the roof of the car, regardless if the mech told me or not. my bike is well worth a lot of $$$, so i rather be safe than sorry...

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy_Steve
    it's about covering your own ass and not relying on some mechanic to tell you YOUR bike will be ok. i would have taken it off if it's stood up on the roof of the car, regardless if the mech told me or not. my bike is well worth a lot of $$$, so i rather be safe than sorry...
    Alright man, just in case the mechanic decides to steal your bike while your sitting there waiting for your car to get fixed again.:P Its not like they were going to do anything with the bike. Your there to get your car fixed. Most people would assume its alright to leave it on your car. Whats the point of taking it off, if your just going to put it back on after. Once again shop should have reasonable clearance to fit bigger vehicles in it. I'll just put it this way, why bring your bike with you to the shop anyways. It should stay at home unless your going for a ride.

  7. #7
    banned
    Reputation: Jerk_Chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    16,480
    I would have (and have said) " Let me take the bike off ", not giving anyone else input in my own responsibility.

    However, that's how they got the car and there is that end of it, but personally on your end, you were negligent, but you don't leave your bike up top to collect from a shop on it when they screw up and are responsible.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: honourablegeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    861
    Joker's been a touch irresponsible in leaving the biek there, but it's still the fault of the mechanic, he was fully aware there was a bike on top, and assured Joker it wouldn't be a problem.

    If it was my bike, he's be paying for the damage in full.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TheJoker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    115
    Yeah, I gotta say I am partly idiot here.....just should have taken the bike off. At the same time, he was at least aware it was upthere. For his part, the guy was apologizing quite a bit (maybe it was the contorted look of shock and anger on my face). I know it was a mistake, can't get crazy over a mistake. He has offered to pay for a replacement post and saddle which is cool. (Thompson masterpiece post and Ti saddle, about $300). I brought the bike to my bike shop, they went over i and, aside from some scratches on some components the bike is OK.

    Live and friggin learn........
    _____________________________
    Not clown........Joker..

    RideMFRide
    www.crankskins.com

  10. #10
    CAN YOU DIG IT??!!??!!!??
    Reputation: man w/ one hand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,979
    I have never understood why anyone wants to put their bike on the roof w/all of the racks available.....???? Clearly sets you up for potential disaster.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: honourablegeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    861
    I got one because I don't have a towbar, already had a roofrack, but I'd agree, much prefer a towbar rack.

    That said, the potential for disaster is always there.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TheJoker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    115
    You know, all it takes is for someone to rear-end with your bike on the back of your car and you'd have a potential mess.....I've seen that happen. Saw a guy get rear-ended by a huge suv, his bike was waaaaayyy worse than mine is. Roof or rear, the potential is there for something bad to happen.
    _____________________________
    Not clown........Joker..

    RideMFRide
    www.crankskins.com

  13. #13
    emtb.pl
    Reputation: krolik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    876
    Quote Originally Posted by man w/ one hand
    I have never understood why anyone wants to put their bike on the roof w/all of the racks available.....???? Clearly sets you up for potential disaster.
    How true:P
    Personally I always take mine inside but probably will have to think again as I have two kids now:P
    We had two incidents with bikes on roof - both because of speed and wrong attachment. It's easy to ferget you have it there. I live in Poland and although we have less highways than desert has lakes, speeds around 120mph (200kmh) are quite common here. One Giant Glory fell off at 140kmh and was thrashed (on an empty road at least). One Nomad fell off at 130kmh in the middle of std traffic and it only bent the der hanger:P It just bounced on wheels behind the car and jumped onto the grass between lanes and made a few loops there. Pretty scary for people behind us though.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    326
    You idiot! Buy a razor scooter.
    Boycott Big Bear!

  15. #15
    Bring on the Funk!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    322
    Hey Joker,

    I say make them pay for the damages. The dude takes your possesions and sez it's OK...end of story. I hit a dive thru "warning"sign that was spun 90 deg and basically invisible and got compensated. If you were driving and could see the overhang, then it's your fault. Someone drives your car into a wall after assuring you that everthing is cool...they pay.

    The only advice is be reasonable. Only get the damaged bits replaced, usually the frame and fork are toast. Good Luck!

  16. #16
    CAN YOU DIG IT??!!??!!!??
    Reputation: man w/ one hand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,979
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJoker
    You know, all it takes is for someone to rear-end with your bike on the back of your car and you'd have a potential mess.....I've seen that happen. Saw a guy get rear-ended by a huge suv, his bike was waaaaayyy worse than mine is. Roof or rear, the potential is there for something bad to happen.
    Potential to get hurt just steppin' out of yer car too, but in the OP's case it was not "entirely" his fault, that said, bike on yer roof = potential to forget it's there and booger up yer bike and car, lots'a posts on this scenario. Now you hang yer bike off of the back end of yer car/truck and somebody hits you from the rear = their fault "entirely". When yer lookin' back to back up; you have the place yer backin' into AND yer bike in your field of vision = you don't forget the bike is there.

    Best way to carry yer bike IMO is this http://www.dakine.com/bike/bags/pick...s/pick-up-pad/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    401
    I had just done almost exactly the same thing a couple of weeks ago... Took my truck in to get some new tires put on it, and brought my bike in case it they couldn't do it right away. It turns out they could. The shop had 12' garage doors, and it probably wasn't an issue, but I took my bike off anyways before I let them drive it into the garage. Why take the chance?

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    569
    Quote Originally Posted by man w/ one hand
    Best way to carry yer bike IMO is this http://www.dakine.com/bike/bags/pick...s/pick-up-pad/
    Sorry man, not even close. i did the over the tailgate thing for years until I bought the fatboy rack. Bets thing ever! Fully contained in the truck with nothing touched except the tires. I can get 4 bikes in and it only takes a second to roll them in and close the qr.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  19. #19
    CAN YOU DIG IT??!!??!!!??
    Reputation: man w/ one hand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,979
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryM
    Sorry man, not even close. i did the over the tailgate thing for years until I bought the fatboy rack. Bets thing ever! Fully contained in the truck with nothing touched except the tires. I can get 4 bikes in and it only takes a second to roll them in and close the qr.

    I can put 6 bikes across my tailgate, (4 liter Ranger), and more behind it. A full size pick up w/Dakine pad can easily haul 8 bikes across the tailgate.
    Last edited by man w/ one hand; 09-26-2008 at 05:49 AM.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TheJoker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    115
    Just stopped by the shop and they gave me a check for $300. I gave them an invoice from my bike shop. They bank with the bank I work for, so I checked it out first to make sure it was good! It happened yesterday, today I have a check in my hand. Better go cash it.....quick......

    It could have been worse......like I said before, live and learn. Can't take chances like that again. Hard lesson learned.

    Honestly, I like the roof rack, but if I had a vehicle with a hitch, I'd have a rear bike carrier.
    _____________________________
    Not clown........Joker..

    RideMFRide
    www.crankskins.com

  21. #21
    *****************
    Reputation: Bikinfoolferlife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    12,378
    Perhaps the first clue was having to take the car back for something that had nothing to do with an oil change? At that point I wouldn't be trusting the shop much for anything and probably would just take the bike off and go for a ride while they "fix" the car, assuming that I might be riding instead of driving home...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    26
    their fault, they should know how tall there garage door is, and if there was any doubt then they should have taken it off. im sure it would be pretty easy to forget but the mechanic should know weather to take it off or not when he asked.

    i don't think i would want my bike in any auto shop, with grinding and other things like that going on i wouldn't trust it. some one could be grinding something and spray sparks all over the bike getting filing in the different parts pivots... and evidently some mechanics aren't the most careful people

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    300
    Mechanic's the idiot. I'm surprised how quickly everybody is ready to blame OP. Mechanic said he'd take car with bike on it, so look after it. Was in mechanic's custody when damage happened.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    569
    Quote Originally Posted by man w/ one hand
    I can put 6 bikes across my tailgate, (4 liter Ranger), and more behind it. A full size pick up w/Dakine pad can easily haul 8 bikes across the tailgate.

    Believe me , I know...did it for years. In the end you get 8 beat up bikes Over the gate is okay for just up and down the actual shuttle road but for long distance hauling it sucks after a while. Can't fit 8 guys in a truck anywhay...4 is the limit for comfort even in our crew cab tundra.

  25. #25
    CAN YOU DIG IT??!!??!!!??
    Reputation: man w/ one hand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,979
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryM
    Believe me , I know...did it for years. In the end you get 8 beat up bikes Over the gate is okay for just up and down the actual shuttle road but for long distance hauling it sucks after a while. Can't fit 8 guys in a truck anywhay...4 is the limit for comfort even in our crew cab tundra.
    I've got a pic, somewhere, I took of a Chevy S-10 with 10 bikes and 10 guys hanging off it. Hilarious, but you do what ya gotta. I can easily get 4 people in my Ranger X-cab. It ain't riding in Capt's. chair by no means, but it works. No issues w/long hauls here. Pad is easy to deal with too. Toss yer bike in and run a cable through the frame and lock'er down, Done.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •