mtbr member

Who switched from an Ibis HD to a Bronson?

I ride an Ibis HD (26" wheels) that is amazing, but I'm wondering if the Bronson could be even better. If you have ridden both I'm interested in how the ride differed.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I did! I had an Ibis HD for one year with a CCDB shock in the back and Van 36 160mm in front.
    It was a nice ride but the Bronson is much better imo. The geometry is much more dialed and it is just a better ride.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by cwkrause View Post
    I ride an Ibis HD (26" wheels) that is amazing, but I'm wondering if the Bronson could be even better. If you have ridden both I'm interested in how the ride differed.

Thanks!
    Not taking away from Bronson, but why not get some 650 wheels and see what your bike does with them?
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    I have thought about putting 650 wheels on the HD, but it would make the bike heavier, I'd have to shim the rear shock, the geometry probably wouldn't be just right, etc. so I've decided not to do that.

My HD has XX1, BOS Deville fork, XTR brakes, Haven wheels, Haven bar, Reverb, carbon WTB Silverado saddle, etc. and comes in at 28.75 lbs.

It's a large frame (weighs a little over 7 lbs) and I am 5'8"; I'm supposed to be on a medium according to the charts, but I like a long toptube and short stem; the large HD feels great to me. The Bronson would drop 1.5 lbs of frame weight which would be nice. It seems Santa Cruz bikes have short toptubes; the medium being 23" and the large 24". I think the large Bronson would be too big am I'm hoping the medium won't feel too cramped.

Not sure about jumping on the 650 wheel thing the first year they are out either; wondering how much Santa Cruz could tweak geometry etc. on the Bronson a year from now...

As you can tell I'm trying to talk myself out of a new bike, but lighter and more efficient is tempting as long as it can still handle downhills littered with roots and rocks as well as the HD.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I have just ditched my HD140 and have a Bronson on order. I loved my old LTc and just prefer the VPP suspension. I never settled on my Ibis and the fact that Ibis have been miss selling the HD140 since it came out was just the icing on the cake.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fadl View Post
    I did! I had an Ibis HD for one year with a CCDB shock in the back and Van 36 160mm in front.
    It was a nice ride but the Bronson is much better imo. The geometry is much more dialed and it is just a better ride.
    What do you mean though, can you explain a bit more in detail? How was the ride better?
    Maintain internal heights.