mtbr member
    Oct 2005

When to replace Nomad bearings?

Hey all,

Just curious as to when you suggest replacing the bearings on a Nomad? What are the tell tale signs of replacement? I've had my Nomad for about 4 months, and was previously owned by a local Free Agent from Santa Cruz, who rarely rode it (why would you, when you ride DH and have a VP Free, V10, and a new Bullit). I just started noticing slight play in the linkage. When I hold the back of the seat and lift up and down, I can easily feel a little play (I know for a fact it's coming from the linkage). Also, there's more creaking than before, but not a lot. A couple spots every revolution when mashing up a hill (it's not the cranks).

Would you replace the bearings now, or do you think it can hold up for a season of Downieville, occasional N*, and a bunch of good rides ?

mtbr member
    May 2004

My guess would be soon.

Well that was just like mine slight play and a bit of a creak that i thought was the cranks . So just had the propack upgrade fitted much better all round, so from my experience get it done asap before the season starts that way no ride down time

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Did everyone see the new "Nomad Bearing Overhaul Instructions"?

http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/nom...omad_bearing=1

I think it was put up before Sea Otter.

TNC
    noMAD man
    There's no real formula for when to replace them. A lot will depend on how, where, and frequency for the way the bike gets ridden. I replaced my OEM bearings after 14 months just before a trip to Moab earlier this month. I had a Propack and felt guilty. The OEM bearings were still good. My Nomad had lots of use and most of it pretty hard...though surely not up to a Cedric Gracia level...LOL! If you feel play in the linkage, and you're sure it's at the linkage, then that's pretty good proof you need to pull it apart and do the bearings...and inspect the other components around the linkage as well. Not questioning your mechanical ability here, but be aware that shock eyelet bushings (worn or loose mounting bolts) can produce a definite "feel" of slop at the linkage. I had it on mine, and I was quite sure initially that it was the linkage/bearings. If you do the bearings, I think you'll get better and longer results if you apply antiseize to the upper and lower pivot axles that go through the links. This is more often than not the cause of creaking, and it seems to lengthen bearing life to some degree, because the pivot axles...especially the two lower units...will often try to gall to the bearing inner races. I think this is one reason why I got such long life out of my bearings.

mtbr member
    Ditto on the shock eyelet bushings - whenever I've noticed play by pulling up on the seat, it has been the shock eyelets rather than the linkage pivots. To check the linkage, disconnect the shock, take off the rear wheel, and cycle the swingarm up and down through its entire range of motion and apply some torque at each of the pivot locations looking for play.