mtbr member
    Mar 2012

What's the better climber, Mojo HDR or Solo?

How well does the Solo climb? The reviews I have seen for the bike are very positive so far, but results seem somewhat mixed with regards to climbing ability. A lot of these reviews are from testers with limited time on the bike, so I would like some impressions from those who have had time to dial in the rear suspension settings. Seems like the perfect bike for me, but the mixed feedback on climbing has me concerned. I will be coming from a Mach 429, so I like a firm pedaling platform. Mojo HDR is another option for me. Like the idea of staying with DW Link, but I don't need a bike as stout as the HDR.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

What's the better climber, Mojo HDR or Solo?

What about looking at the turner burner or mojo slr if you don't need a bike as big as a hdr? No the turner is not carbon, but it sure looks like a sick bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Did think about the SLR, but thought it would be be a compromise with regards to tire clearance and BB height. The Turner might be something to think about though.

mtbr member
    I haven't ridden a lot of different suspension types but i really love my solo and think its a very good climber! Its better than my sl29 usually ride it in trail mode and find very little bob. Since your xc minded i think the solo would be a good choice, but thats just me you really need to demo to find the fit for you and as many have said on this board many times a geometry change will trump a suspension change thats another thing about the solo for me it seems to be a perfect fit.
    “An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” Marco Polo

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Have you ridden a Tallboy 2? VPP suspension like the 5010 but still the 29er wheel size since you are coming off a Pivot 429.
    The 5010 does come with heavy tires that are not the beat climbing tires.
    The official beer drinker & bike rider @ BRB

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I have ridden enough bikes to know what type of geometry suits me and the Solo looks perfect. The low BB height and short chain stays are what differentiate it from some of the other 650Bs out there. Looking at the specs, I don't see how it couldn't be a great climber. I'm sure proper setup in the rear is finicky, just like DW link bikes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I don't think it will be faster, but want something more "fun" than my current 429. Rode a buddies 650b converted bike a few years ago and liked it. I have just been patiently waiting for the right geometry to come along. The 5010 looks spot on. As you said, lighter tires would have to help with the climbing though. Rims are a little heavy also for XC.

NedwannaB
    It will climb as good as you/the trails/conditions you're on. I say get it. You can always lighten things up later.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

Slower But Faster
    I haven't ridden either but the HDR is better compared to the Bronson in terms of what it's designed for so one imagines the 5010 with the right tyres will climb a little better.

They are both great bikes by all account so try them both and buy the one you like the feel of best.

Unpredictable
    I am confused. How is it tricky to set up a DW link - you pump up the shock to the right pressure and leave the pro-pedal and lock-outs off and ride. If geometry is your big thing (and even if you aren't Steve Jones from Dirt mag UK), just buy on the geometry. You want tire clearance bigger than the SLR (which fits rubber adequate for fast climbing and fast descending, except on mushy clay), but not as stout as the HDR.

What you need is test rides or an epiphany