mtbr member

What would you pay for this TBLT? (pic)

Thinking of buying a TBLT and found a leftover 2012 AL at my LBS that might work. I bought two SC bikes from them less than a year ago and they have been pretty good working with me on prices but not sure where this bike lands price wise. What you you offer?

2012 LBLT R-am large with revelation fork. It's also dark blue/purple-ish with red letter bike but my phone sucks at taking pics.

Big thanks in advance,
    Marcus
    SC:12' Butcher (sold)
    SC:12' Superlight 29er (sold)
    SC:12' Juliana (wife's)
    SC:12' TBLT

b a n n e d
    $3k out the door.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    $3k out the door.
    i think they'd do that

You seem to be pretty familiar with SC stuff. Do you know what fork the 2012 R kit LT came with? Is this metallic purple also a cccp color choice or just a factory color for 2012?

thanks again,
    marcus

b a n n e d
    I don't know about the fork for sure, but I'd bet it was not the Revelation. Probably a Sektor.

But I can say with certainty that the frame is a CCCP frame. With the Rev fork and R kit, the current price for that bike would be over $4K (if they still offered the CCCP). My gut tells me that was a custom ordered frame that the buyer backed out on, and now the LBS is stuck with it. That'd be my biggest "selling" point (or buying point I guess).

Not sure where you live, but at $3K out the door, here in SoCal, where we have almost 10% sales tax, it would be a retail closer to $2750. I think that'd be a STEAL of a deal if you were in the market for a TBLTa.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Looking at the Santa Cruz site you can get the Sector, Rev, and Fox 34 with the R kit. Sector bike is $3100, Rev bike is $3800. Crazy, the Revelation isn't THAT great of fork...

I'd offer like $2800 myself. Wave some 100s and some beer at them.

mtbr member
    I don't know about the fork for sure, but I'd bet it was not the Revelation. Probably a Sektor.

But I can say with certainty that the frame is a CCCP frame. With the Rev fork and R kit, the current price for that bike would be over $4K (if they still offered the CCCP). My gut tells me that was a custom ordered frame that the buyer backed out on, and now the LBS is stuck with it. That'd be my biggest "selling" point (or buying point I guess).

Not sure where you live, but at $3K out the door, here in SoCal, where we have almost 10% sales tax, it would be a retail closer to $2750. I think that'd be a STEAL of a deal if you were in the market for a TBLTa.
    That makes sense about the color. The staff at the LBS refer to it as "the purple bike" so it has probably been a thorn in their side for a while. CA does have some crazy high taxes but some great shops. I thought I had died and gone to heaven the first time i walked in the path bikeshop in tustin.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoban View Post

I'd offer like $2800 myself. Wave some 100s and some beer at them.
    Thats what I'm thinking. Plus I can hold their demo hostage....
    Last edited by ATXZJ; 03-27-2013 at 01:12 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    i paid 3600 for an R build LTc with rev fork from colorado cyclist (no tax). It was prob custom as it had upgraded wheels w/ dt 350 hub and am classic front

does the floor one have the 142x12 rear? if not you might be able to talk them down based on that.

backcountry.com has the LT for 3098
    Santa Cruz Bicycles Tallboy LT R AM Complete Bike | Backcountry.com

I would try to get 2800 out the door plus lifetime service/tuneups, plus swap out the elixirs for xt brakes. if the fork is not a rev, then maybe 2500

would be good with 3K out the door plus the above.

mtbr member
    May 2005

What would you pay for this TBLT? (pic)

Considering some alloy TBLT frames are available here in Aus at $1600, I reckon under $3k US for a complete build would be feasable in the US........... I wouldn't pay anymore though!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Yeah. Don't pay anywhere near 3000. You can get leftover carbon for that. I bought a TBc R kit two years ago for $3000 from Huck and Roll.

mtbr member
    . My gut tells me that was a custom ordered frame that the buyer backed out on,
    Can you blame him with that color combo?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I don't know. But if it were me I'd watch pinkbike. There is a pretty regular turnover of TBLTc with XT gruppo's in the mid 4k range. If I couldn't afford the 4k bike I'd wait a season and pull the trigger when they start showing up at 3k. In the long run it would be a better deal imo.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I demo'd the TBLT yesterday and will make another run tomorrow before i have to return it. So far, im still on the fence with the bikes performance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXZJ View Post
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I demo'd the TBLT yesterday and will make another run tomorrow before i have to return it. So far, im still on the fence with the bikes performance.
    at these prices you should absolutely love the bike. What kinds of trails are you riding? If they are smooth then you shouldnt get the LT. Our trails are super rocky with very sketchy but short downhills, the LT is great for those.

mtbr member
    Marcus, why don't you get one of the sale frames and transfer over everything from the Superlight? Same travel fork aren't they?

In fact, what's wrong with the Superlight? Rather have the VPP?

mtbr member
    It's strange. After riding tallboys, butchers and superlight 29s, I had this idea in my head of how the LT would perform. Maybe i had too high of expectations. I figured the TBLT would be a combo of my butcher and SL29, making it the best of both worlds. The VPP does climb way better than the other two, especially on square ledges as i dont have to throw my weight around nearly as much to keep my momentum going. I also purposely took some downhill lines that would have sent me over the bars on the SL and the LT just plowed on.

I ride the typical southwestern trails with little bit of everything, tech, rollers, downhill and some drops. I have been hitting my local trails pretty regularly with my other bikes so it's pretty easy to compare. I'll give it another try tomorrow.

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by goodmojo View Post
    at these prices you should absolutely love the bike. What kinds of trails are you riding? If they are smooth then you shouldnt get the LT. Our trails are super rocky with very sketchy but short downhills, the LT is great for those.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoban View Post
    In fact, what's wrong with the Superlight? Rather have the VPP?
    I've looked at that as well. The 100mm SL29 is actually pretty damn good for the design/cost. I've beat the hell out of that bike and had a blast every time. IMHO, the TBa was a little too heavy for what benefit the VPP offered but a TBc would be damn near perfect. If I pass on the TBLT, ill try to find a leftover 2012 TBc frames in large for a good price and gut the SL29.

mtbr member
    2013 Santa Cruz Tallboy Carbon Frame Large Fox Shock | eBay
    2013 Santa Cruz Tallboy Carbon Frame Large Fox Ctd | eBay

Pick a color. Just check to see what size it actually is. L in the title, XL in the description.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the heads up! Both appear to be L per the Q&A section and I'll be watching them over the next day to see what they can be had for. My only concern is the rear hub as those are 142s and I have a 135, so i would need another hub and have someone build the wheel. Not sure what kind of a PITA that is or cost.

I returned the TBLT demo yesterday after one last ride and checked out some leftover 2012 TBc Rxc bikes. They were willing to knock 10% off, but i didn't get into any haggling (wouldnt move on one for less than 20%) until i exhaust my search for a frame first.

Quote Originally Posted by BXCc View Post
    2013 Santa Cruz Tallboy Carbon Frame Large Fox Shock | eBay
    2013 Santa Cruz Tallboy Carbon Frame Large Fox Ctd | eBay

Pick a color. Just check to see what size it actually is. L in the title, XL in the description.

mtbr member
    Hey,

I work at Sport Systems. Just to let you know, we ordered a few cccp bikes for the floor (just to have some other color options) and just ate the cost. That bike's regular msrp is $3966 plus they shipped it with the nicer WTB frequency i23 rims laced to a WTB 20mm through axle front/XT rear. It's on sale for $2999 until Saturday.

It weighs just under 31# with pedals (and tubes), which might seem heavy, but for comparison, my LTc with Fox 34/full xt/tubeless hans damf 2.35 nobby n 2.25 weighs 29.

SC warranty is 5 yrs to original owner. No warranty with ebay frames.
    Last edited by mlx john; 03-25-2013 at 10:53 AM. Reason: added more info
    2014 Tallboy 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlx john View Post
    Hey,

I work at Sport Systems. Just to let you know, we ordered a few cccp bikes for the floor (just to have some other color options) and just ate the cost. That bike's regular msrp is $3966 plus they shipped it with the nicer WTB frequency i23 rims laced to a WTB 20mm through axle front/XT rear. It's on sale for $2999 until Saturday.

It weighs just under 31# with pedals (and tubes), which might seem heavy, but for comparison, my LTc with Fox 34/full xt/tubeless hans damf 2.35 nobby n 2.25 weighs 29.

SC warranty is 5 yrs to original owner. No warranty with ebay frames.
    Thanks for the information on the bike and the warranties. Makes sense to have some CCCP bikes to show off. After riding the TBLT a bit, I think i'm gonna move towards a TBc as it will fit the trails i'm going to be riding in the near future. If I could get one of those leftover blue Rxc tallboys for a good price, I'd be in

mtbr member
    PM sent
    2014 Tallboy 2

mtbr member
    What is CCCP? Talking about expectations, I was also a bit out of step when I first got on it. I have the 2013 LTc. And I suspected suspension settings, when they say that if you set the rebound to fast it will throw you off the bike, it does! I researched and played for days and hours, I have the. Fox 34 RLC 140 and the setting are not so on the fly friendly but I could really fine tune settings. I hit the spot with the suspension, front and back, what a huge difference. I am as happy as a pig in s$%t. Perfect bike.
    Last edited by SLIP TIP; 03-27-2013 at 12:15 PM.