Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

WHAT FORK ..for heckler

just purchased a new heckler today,any comments on the right fork to put on.my style of rideing is xc,trail,but i'm a big guy 6,1 200lbs....want to keep the bike around 27lbs if possible

Baba Booey!

Minute 03

I'm getting a med Heckler and will be using the Manitou Minute 03. I am about 220-230 fully loaded and do quite a bit of XC and AM type stuff. I was really drawn to the SPV feature as well as the infinite travel adjustment, which allows you to drop your fork down to practically nothing with a bar mounted release button. Also it's not too heavy (i think it hovers around 5 lbs) highly adjustable, and with 130mm of travel you'll have nothing to worry about...
    I should note that i currently run a Marz marathon S on my K2 Razorback and find that to be a very sweet ride, but not as tunable as I would like and a little heavier than it should be IMO.
    Thats my 2 cents

Certified Moots Whore...
    AM1... Under 5 pounds... Highly tuneable... Beefy... and adjustable travel (130-150)... For sale on ebay for 409 plus shipping... The guy is selling the hard to find black version... I bought one and love it...

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by Something Clever...
    AM1... Under 5 pounds... Highly tuneable... Beefy... and adjustable travel (130-150)... For sale on ebay for 409 plus shipping... The guy is selling the hard to find black version... I bought one and love it...
    Yup, AM1 feels great. I had a Fox Talas on it before and the air just didn't feel right. The Zoke will treat you right. As for a sub 27lb Heckler....bwahahahahaha! Even if it is possible, Id have to ask, why? At the size of the OP, you'd have to build it up with superlight xc race stuff to get it there which would probably last roughly 2.17 miles of AM riding before leaving you to hike out. Come to think of it, maybe a SID Race would be the best fork. Bottom line, the Heckler really isn't meant to be a lightweight FS racer. I think that if you can tolerate 30#, you can make it tough enough to handle most stuff and at 32-33#, it cn be pretty bomber. Just something to think about if you aren't into replacing stuff constantly.
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

a.k.a Slacker
    Jan 2006
    Personally, for the capability of the Heckler, I would have gone with a 150mm fork. I have the Float RLC 130mm right now, it does it's job, hehe.

As for weight, good luck! you'll have an easier time trying to reach that goal in the tires/wheels. I shaved 1.5 lbs from running 2.25 to 2.1. I shaved 5lbs by not eating steaks too often too. No Steaks = more bike money.

mtbr member

thanks

thanks guys for the info,wanted to keep it on the lightish side being,a ''fat ba****d'' and it all helps on the ups.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I just built up my 26.5 lb. Heckler and used a Marz AM SL 130-150. I bought it from Performance Bike for $349, still tuning the fork here and there but feels real good. BTW I'm 5' 10" 190lb.

mtbr member
    I picked up my Heckler last week, and just bought the Fox Vanilla RLC from PP for $339.98. There is no change from 05 to 06.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail.htm...offer=IN060MTN

And this is why I bought it. It's very hard to get 5/5 on mtbReview with more than 1 or 2 reviews. Someone always has something bad to say, but after 19 reviews, not even one bad word about the Vanilla RLC.

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/2005_fro...t_124284.shtml

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Don't forget a Pike

I have a Pike Team Coil on mine and it is 4 3/4lbs. The Pike Air forks are even lighter. I am 240lbs and it has been awesome for over a year.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Another AM1

I started out with a 27.5lb heckler - I had a marathon SL fork, light wheels, small tires, 5th element air etc..

I since beefed up the fork to an AM1 and put on 2.5 tires and a DHX coil - the bike is much more fun @ 31 lbs and although I am slighly slower on the ups - the downs are soooo much more fun.

BTW - I am 5'10" and weigh 155lbs - don't be afraid of a 30lb bike - especially at your weight....

Headhunter on 2 wheels
    Med size 04 with a Lefty max 140 FFD but will so be upgraded to TPC once i receive the compression assemble from Mendoncycle.

It's already a super sweet ride on it and i can only imagine how much more sweeter it will be after the upgrade. Weights in at 32.4Ibs.

Last edited by cy6ex; 03-09-2006 at 03:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

WHAT FORK ..for heckler

Hmm, Iím very interested in the Ďbest fork for the hecklerí question too.
    Iíve only recently started looking so Iím just coming up to speed with what is out there.
    Based on this thread and another Iíve been looking at the marzíAM1 and Pike 454.

Both seem to be highly recommended by heckler owners, but how would they compare directly to each other what are the relative strengths / weakness each compared to each other?

I need to ride up as much as down, so I think important features for me is a good effective SPV function. Is one better than the other?

From what I understand (havenít tried any either of these forks) the AM1 can be adjusted right down to an inch or two for climbing? Changing the geometry of the bike by dropping the front? That sounds like a great feature. Does the pike (or other forks) have something similar? How does the u-turn work? Does it the front end of the bike drop too, or does it stay put and just limit the travel to 90mm?

How would the Maverick DUC32 compare to these two?

Sorry for all the questions I will keep searching and reading too but very grateful for any answers people can offer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    nothing ..... someone must have some experience or knowledge to compare these to fork to each other? how about if I say please?

mtbr member

air or coil

floorguy thats the sort of weight i,m looking to acheive.i bought my heckler here in the uk with a ava fox r air shock,are you running a air or coil shock to get that weight.it seems most of the guys in the us run coil shocks.and as for cy6ex running a lefty fork,it looks the muts nuts

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    mtb, I;
    I'm running a DHX-A, still roughing out the edges but feels really good even for my weight (190lbs).

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

floorguy, how's the DHX Air?

I just ordered a new Heckler with the DHX Air, how do you like it?
    Anyone else running one? Feedback?

As for forks I've going with an 05 AM1 130-150, or an 04 Z1 FR SL.
    Last edited by rglsr; 03-10-2006 at 06:26 PM.

Slowest Rider

AM1 on my Heckler

Can't compare to the Pike, but the AM1 is greatly superior to my old Manitou Black - stiffer, not as much dive, smoother on the trail, can take anything, allows 8" disk brakes with QR,...

The AM1 has an ETA function that lets you push the front waaaaaay down - maybe 3-4 inches down while retaining one inch of travel. The bike is very pitched forward like a funny car, but it's great for steep hills. The other TST (Terrain Selection Tech..) knob can take the fork from a big pillow (in DS or downhill setting) to a lockout (in CL or climb setting) by changing the damping rate. But I never use the CL lockout as the ETA locked down is plenty good, and the smaller 1" travel when climbing seems perfect. The only time I use the CL is to prevent brake dive on steep downhill smooth paved roads.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    rglrs, all I did was set up the DHX air the way the SC manual said and left it alone. The shock is performikng perfectly.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 67degrees
    I have a Pike Team Coil on mine and it is 4 3/4lbs. The Pike Air forks are even lighter. I am 240lbs and it has been awesome for over a year.

I second the hecker / pike combo. super nice.

-scoon

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cy6ex
    Med size 04 with a Lefty max 140 FFD but will so be upgraded to TPC once i receive the compression assemble from Mendoncycle.

It's already a super sweet ride on it and i can only imagine how much more sweeter it will be after the upgrade. Weights in at 32.4Ibs.

is that a 1 1/8 lefty or a 1.5 heckler? i guess 1 1/8 lefty hence the king and thomson. nice combo...

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I've got an '05 marz Z1 FR1 on mine and love it I almost got the Am1 but I really wanted a 20mm thru axle and I prefer coil over air.I had a vanilla 130 before and I must say that a 6" fork makes the Heckler a wayy better bike. With the ETA feature the front dropps lower than the vanilla and the additional weight keeps the front end down on steep climbs. The bike is 35# with a DHX coiland 2.4 tires.Get over the weight thing and you'll have more fun .

Dirt Rag Extraordinaire
    hi man,

you've prolly gone out and spent the $$$ by now, but anyway...

imho, you MUST get a fork with the 20mm thru-axle. i've got a 04 Heckler with 05 AM2 forx. they work great and the ETA is awesome, however... i reckon they're a little bit sketchy on knarly descents. sometimes it seems as though they're flexing their guts out. i've built the bike, especially the front end, with fairly heavy, strong components and the fork is definately a bit of a weak point in terms of overall stiffness and point-an-shoot ability. i'd post a pic but i've never been able to work out how, lol.

i've been umming and arrring about geting some Van36 RC2's for a while now. i live in australia and mtb is a complete rip-off here. too many fingers in the pie by the time parts make their way down here. 36's cost $1500+ here... that's twice as expensive as the US.
    so yeah, anyway, they would be a huge, though certainly very worthy investment. check out this product review of 36's by rider 'Franc Diaz', who has 'em on a Heckler: http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/2006_fro...t_125328.shtml
    did you read it? convincing stuff, huh.

i really like the way the Heckler is spec'd at the santa cruz website: http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/heckler/ <---- that's the way to go, me thinks.

the Santa Cruz Heckler will forever be an all-time classic bike, have fun mate!

mtbr member
    thanks for the info,still not got them yet can't make my mind up about the very same thing you said the 20mm axle.was going to take a look at the pikes but i still like the idea of the eta on the bomber [we get our trousers pulled down and arse smacked with prices in the UK as well mate ]

Ultimate Poseur
    After being on the current style heckler going on 4 years now...TALAS, ETA or what have you is extra frilly stuff you don't need, IMHO, of course. Not once have I had the desire to lower the front end. Caveat to my experience though is that I don't live in an area that has extended climbing.

I have been on a Vanilla RLC since it was built and recently replaced it with an 05 Vanilla RLC when pricepoint had them for $340. I weigh 210 and don't notice any major flex of the front end. I would think that a 150-160mm fork (Marz forks have a tall a-to-c as well) would slack the front end quite a bit. If that's what you are looking for then great. To me with the Vanilla RLC the steering is already a touch on the slow side. A taller fork will make it worse, or more stable, depending on your POV.

Can't wait to get mine back from paint and get it built up again....

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    For the record, I have been reading these threads on forks for the heckler with great interest (thanks - can't get better info than from owners/useres of the gear) and have just bought a pike. I was tossing up between the marz AM1 and the Pike (I'm in Australia too and a fox 36 is out of my price range). Both sound like great forks for the heckler, but went with the pike mainly because of the comments re stiffness and I like the idea of the remote (time will tell how usefull this is actually is). I wish it was 150 travel though. & still think the ETA feature sounds good. + I got a good deal on the pike. Anyway looking forward to riding it now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast