mtbr member
    Sep 2013

What did you pay for your factory Bronson Builds (preferably the R AM Alimunum build)

My friend/cousin is looking for a Aluminum Large Black Bronson, probably the R AM due to limited funds right now. He wants to get a feeling for what most people are getting theirs stock builds for. Obviously bike shops are similar to car dealerships, they will all haggle a little.

I just build my own Bronson so I don't really have a complete build price to help him out with.

He's got a pretty good relationship with a LBS and would prefer to stay local rather than order off line. Try to keep a little money local if the price is right after taxes...

Anyways, if you have or know what some have been going for post them up if you don't care. or a ball park... with or without taxes works just would have to specify.

mtbr member
    I got my Bronson in July when they were really hard to come by. My local shops didn't have any in stock and I found one 200 miles away. The shop wouldn't budge on price stating that it came in the day before and if I didn't buy it, it would be gone by the end of the week. Bummer I had to pay full price ($3499), but it was better than waiting 4+ months to get one in from SC.

Creepy tooth fairy

Wiggle...

...your a$$, not the guys at the shop.

Santa Cruz keeps their pricing pretty uniform b/t online and local bike shops. If there is a local Santa Cruz dealer near (<100 miles) your friend/cousin, they will have to either buy through them or go to an online dealer. The only "deals" you will find show up when models are changed or through "used" demo bikes. These disappear quickly.

The other possibility is to buy a frame from the shop and build the bike yourself acquiring the components piecemeal. It is here that deals can be found via eBay, shop sales, mtbr, local bike group forums and even Craig's List. This requires a great deal of patience and knowledge as to what you're looking for, looking at and pricing. If you have those you can save a great deal of money. This is the route I take. I can build the bike myself (My friend's help and some beer makes it more fun) and set it up as well. If I need my shops help on something, I pay them to do so.

I do not recommend haggling with bike shops as their margins are paper thin not to mention they will not be very amenable to helping you with repairs as you run off to get "deals" everywhere else. Here is some perspective albeit long and harsh from a lbs owner. Good luck and have fun.
    the going won't get good 'til I'm good and gone

mtbr member
    "The other possibility is to buy a frame from the shop and build the bike yourself acquiring the components piecemeal. It is here that deals can be found via eBay, shop sales, mtbr, local bike group forums and even Craig's List. This requires a great deal of patience and knowledge as to what you're looking for, looking at and pricing. If you have those you can save a great deal of money. This is the route I take. I can build the bike myself (My friend's help and some beer makes it more fun) and set it up as well. If I need my shops help on something, I pay them to do so."

EXACTLY! In fact, River City in Portland is selling them $500 OVER list (told them to GTH) so good luck with getting a "deal" on a factory bike.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by HELLBELLY View Post
    ...your a$$, not the guys at the shop.

Santa Cruz keeps their pricing pretty uniform b/t online and local bike shops. If there is a local Santa Cruz dealer near (<100 miles) your friend/cousin, they will have to either buy through them or go to an online dealer. The only "deals" you will find show up when models are changed or through "used" demo bikes. These disappear quickly.

The other possibility is to buy a frame from the shop and build the bike yourself acquiring the components piecemeal. It is here that deals can be found via eBay, shop sales, mtbr, local bike group forums and even Craig's List. This requires a great deal of patience and knowledge as to what you're looking for, looking at and pricing. If you have those you can save a great deal of money. This is the route I take. I can build the bike myself (My friend's help and some beer makes it more fun) and set it up as well. If I need my shops help on something, I pay them to do so.

I do not recommend haggling with bike shops as their margins are paper thin not to mention they will not be very amenable to helping you with repairs as you run off to get "deals" everywhere else. Here is some perspective albeit long and harsh from a lbs owner. Good luck and have fun.
    Margins are paper thin? I have heard buddies quoted XT carbon bronson build for 5k OTD (that includes tax) just never really heard of prices for the aluminum R AM build..

I used to work at a bike shop and know about what the average upcharge is on a bike. Some are more than others depends on vendor and your agreement with them esentially (how many you purchase a year)

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I found a great local SC shop in Phoenix in June 2013 when I bought my aluminum Bronson. It's a business transaction. Here's my approach (which only works if the shop has what you want on the floor): Be nice. Point out what you'd like to buy. Ask what the shop's best cash out-the-door price is. That's it.

I got the aluminum R AM bike for $2,800 with tax, cash.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    I found a great local SC shop in Phoenix in June 2013 when I bought my aluminum Bronson. It's a business transaction. Here's my approach (which only works if the shop has what you want on the floor): Be nice. Point out what you'd like to buy. Ask what the shop's best cash out-the-door price is. That's it.

I got the aluminum R AM bike for $2,800 with tax, cash.
    That's not a bad price... We had in mind anything around or below 3k after taxes (9.725%) would be a great deal...

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Sales tax in that shop is around 9.2%(ish).