mtbr member
    Dec 2007

What crankset for 2006 VP Free

Ok so I just picked up a 2006 VP Free off of Pinkbike today and I have seen a bunch of different posts with what cranks and bottom braket work best on the VP Free to achive the 55mm chainline or whatever it is the VP Free needs but its alot of old posts so.

I have a set of XO cranks for a 68/73 mm bottom bracket are these going to work or will I need to get something with an 83mm bottom bracket? The plan right now is to just run it as a 1x10 drivetrain with a type 2 rear deraileur and no chain guide. Thanks
    2014 Kona Process 111
    2012 Salsa Fargo 2
    2015 Surly Krampus
    2015 Niner S.I.R. 9
    2006 Santa Cruz VP Free

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hamiltonj2w1 View Post
    Ok so I just picked up a 2006 VP Free off of Pinkbike today and I have seen a bunch of different posts with what cranks and bottom braket work best on the VP Free to achive the 55mm chainline or whatever it is the VP Free needs but its alot of old posts so.

I have a set of XO cranks for a 68/73 mm bottom bracket are these going to work or will I need to get something with an 83mm bottom bracket? The plan right now is to just run it as a 1x10 drivetrain with a type 2 rear deraileur and no chain guide. Thanks
    Pretty sure the 73 works for an '06... you're looking for a 55 mm chainline. I'm not sure the chainline with the cranks you have.

From the Santa Cruz FAQ:
    What size bottom bracket should I use on my VP-Free?
    This one depends on what cranks you are using. The 150 spacing requires a 55-57mm chainline, instead of a 47.5 to 50mm that you would use on a Blur or a Bullit, etc. Basically the chain rings should be 5 to 7.5mm further outside than typical.
    With most ISIS cranks, you should use a 128mm spindle (06 model - 73x128mm ISIS BB / 07 model - 83x128mm ISIS BB).
    If you have any doubts what spindle length you need for the specific cranks you are using, call the crank manufacturer and ask what size spindle to use to achieve that 55 chainline. Just make sure you buy a BB for a 73mm or 83mm shell!
    With most ISIS cranks, you should use a 128mm spindle (73x128mm ISIS BB).
    If you have any doubts what spindle length you need for the specific cranks you are using, call the crank manufacturer and ask what size spindle to use to achieve that 55 chainline. Just make sure you buy a BB for a 73mm shell!
    This will probably help, there is more info here:
    Santa Cruz Bicycles | Bike FAQs

Been a while since I've had a VPFree, but there was a long discussion about chainlines here (mainly with guides):
    VP-Free Crank, BB, Guide & Chain Line (Merged Thread)

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yeah I had read through all of that the issue is I am not even sure what the spindle length is on my XO's most of this thread is old ISIS style
    2014 Kona Process 111
    2012 Salsa Fargo 2
    2015 Surly Krampus
    2015 Niner S.I.R. 9
    2006 Santa Cruz VP Free

mtbr member
    You can run a bunch of different cranksets on the VPF.
    The BB shell didn't go to 83MM till the last production and there's not a lot of 83MM BB VPFs out there.
    You can use external cup BBs on the 2006 VPF.
    On yours, you may need to mod the frame so that an external cup will mount flush on the non drive side.
    A good shop with facing tools can remove a bit of metal from the pivot area so that the cups will sit flush with the frame.
    Santa Cruz sanctions the mod and you may have a VPF that has had the mod done already.
    Without the mod, you won't be able to get an external cup fully threaded and mounted flush on the non drive side.
    Truvativ Howitzer/Holzfeller cranks and BBs provide excellent chainline with no hassle.

mod pics
    What crankset for 2006 VP Free-img_0924.jpg
    What crankset for 2006 VP Free-img_0926.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hamiltonj2w1 View Post
    Yeah I had read through all of that the issue is I am not even sure what the spindle length is on my XO's most of this thread is old ISIS style
    SRAM has their chainlines published here:
    https://sram-cdn-pull-zone-gsdesign...._-_rev_b_0.pdf

Not sure which X0 you have, but attached image has the chainlines for each ring and each version. I'm not sure if they refer to spindles anymore with the new style of cranksets, but you can still look for the right chainline. The issue may be getting the cups to mount flush with the frame. May have to face the bottom bracket faces down. What crankset for 2006 VP Free-capture.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 11053 View Post
    You can run a bunch of different cranksets on the VPF.
    The BB shell didn't go to 83MM till the last production and there's not a lot of 83MM BB VPFs out there.
    You can use external cup BBs on the 2006 VPF.
    On yours, you may need to mod the frame so that an external cup will mount flush on the non drive side.
    A good shop with facing tools can remove a bit of metal from the pivot area so that the cups will sit flush with the frame.
    Santa Cruz sanctions the mod and you may have a VPF that has had the mod done already.
    Without the mod, you won't be able to get an external cup fully threaded and mounted flush on the non drive side.
    Truvativ Howitzer/Holzfeller cranks and BBs provide excellent chainline with no hassle.

Thanks, I was just reading about the facing of the non-drive side to run external BB cups, hopefully the frame I bought has this done already so I don't have to mess with it I want to run the XO's I have laying around and I wouldn't think the chainline would be that big of a deal running 1x10.

I might just try and find a used set of howitzer's or holzfeller's this way I am not beating the shit out of expensive ass cranks on a 9 year old frame.
    2014 Kona Process 111
    2012 Salsa Fargo 2
    2015 Surly Krampus
    2015 Niner S.I.R. 9
    2006 Santa Cruz VP Free

mtbr member
    Hussefelt cranks are out there for $50 or so from some online suppliers.

https://www.sram.com/truvativ/techno...bracket-system