mtbr member

What 27.5 bits could I build up on a Nomad before I can buy a Bronson frame?

I have been offered a 3 year old mint Nomad carbon frame (white) off a mate, and I intended to buy a Bronson next year when I travel to the US. The price is frightening here in Australia not to mention delay.
    If I build up the Nomad C, could I use the kit on a Bronson frame when I get it.
    Including Forks (150 x 34)?
    Mavic wheels 650b
    Shock
    etc.
    If it is feasible How would 150 forks go on the Nomad, given the specs suggest 160?
    Am I wasting my time and money with this idea?----

Really need some help on this one, thanks

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    The stock fox 34 on the bronson kits is 150 -- and it's actually a travel-reduced 160 that can be converted back.

I've been riding mine at 150 since I got my bronson with every intention of popping it up to 160, but, honestly, the 10mm of extra travel hasn't kept me from getting rowdy on the bike.

But, there's so many other fork options that work on the bronson at both 150 and 160, I'd consider something else if you're going to buy new anyways...

mtbr member
    The Nomad would ride fine with a 150mm 27.5 fork and 27.5" wheel.

You won't get a 27.5 wheel in the rear with any reasonable sized tire on it so you'll need a 26er rear wheel. A Conti 26 x 2.4 Trail King maxes out the rear triangle.

The shock size of the Nomad and Bronson are different so that's not something you can swap.

The drivertrain and brakes would swap over fine.

If it was me I would build up the Nomad with good, but cheap used parts and 26er wheels/fork. When you get the Bronson just sell the Nomad complete and get the new bike.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Yep thats what I was afraid of, the wheel sizing in the frame, especially the rear. It seems the idea was good in theory but not in practice.
    Vik good idea with the cheap parts real food for thought there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ripper1 View Post
    Yep thats what I was afraid of, the wheel sizing in the frame, especially the rear. It seems the idea was good in theory but not in practice.
    Vik good idea with the cheap parts real food for thought there.

BTW - I have posted this before, but this image is my Nomad's 26 x 2.4" Conti tire against my friend's stock Bronson wheel.

I'm a fan of 650B wheels, but you can get a lot of the way there with big 26er tires. Of course you can go even bigger with a huge 650B tires, but the weight penalty starts to add up as your tire gets larger.

I'm running effectively a 2.5" 26er tire on my Nomad and I'd run an honest 2.3" tire on a Bronson.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    How did the ride on your mate's Bronson compare with your nomad (assuming he let you ride it) particularly riding up hills?
    I'm not into downhill stuff, mostly cross country and regular trails.
    I rode the Nomad and still consider it the best bike I ever rode in terms of smooth handling, fantastic balance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ripper1 View Post
    How did the ride on your mate's Bronson compare with your nomad (assuming he let you ride it) particularly riding up hills?
    I'm not into downhill stuff, mostly cross country and regular trails.
    I rode the Nomad and still consider it the best bike I ever rode in terms of smooth handling, fantastic balance.
    I didn't ride the Bronson in anger as it's a size too small and has SPD pedals and I ride flats. I have no doubt it's a great bike. For trail riding the Nomad does fine, but it's a lot of bike to haul around if you don't want to rip the descents. Although the Bronson is slightly less DH oriented if you aren't into the downhills I'd consider something more trail oriented if I was buying a new bike - like the Solo or the TB2/TBLT.

OTOH - if you have a bargain Nomad C frame you can build it very light and it will ride trails all day just fine.

You've got lots of great options.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Yes I think its too good an offer to pass up and I will heed your advice.
    I ride a 5" bike and as I'm not the best climber so I will need to build it not too burly and light enough.
    So can I suggest a 34 x 160 fork (fox best?) but any tips for good, but cheap used parts?
    I am a fan of mavic ST crossmax wheels, and race face componentry, and thats what I'll probably have on the Bronson but don't want to lash out too much on this project

But as this will be an interemin, any suggestions for