mtbr member
    May 2013

Water in Nomad Bottom Bracket Shell

Hi folks:

I hoping somebody else has struck this minor problem, and found an answer.

After washing my bike, I notice water runs down the seat tube even with the post in place and down into the BB shell. I have a Chris King BB, and I have to trust that the o-rings at each end of the plastic BB centre sleeve are keeping that water out of the bearings, but it makes me nervous just the same...

There's no drain hole in the bottom of the Nomad bottom bracket shell, and I wondered if there was a good reason for that? Can anyone tell me why I shouldn't drill one? (apart from voiding the warranty, presumably). It wouldn't have to be very big - 3mm max.

But would that then allow water to get in from the bottom and into the suspension axles/pivots? I can't imagine they'd get any wetter than they do now...

For the time being, I just pull out the seat post after washing, and leave the bike upside for a while, but there must be a better way...

Any and all help gratefully appreciated...

Dave

CAN YOU DIG IT??!!??!!!??
    I feel yer pain...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Water in Nomad Bottom Bracket Shell-resizedimage_1369464274153.jpg  

"Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I am no expert but drilling a hold could compromise the frame in a spot that is the centerpiece of all of the torque and pressure. Not to mention that it would probably void your warranty.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    I normally remove the seat post after a wash and flip it upside down to get the large amount of water and then hang the bikes on the wall with the seat collar loose so anything else will drain out.

Issue with the hole is it doesn't take much to plug it up.

IMO

Good luck

mtbr member
    Depending on what type of seat post you have, water can get in from the top of the seat post.
    Many posts have a hole or opening near the seat clamp and water will run down the inside of the post.
    If that is the issue, just put a plastic grocery bag over the seat and post when washing.
    I wouldn't drill a drain hole in the BB shell. A small hole can get plugged up with mud and grease and fail to drain anyways.

mtbr member
    I think washing a bike with hose often does more harm than good. I've stopped doing that and just brush the bike down when dry or wipe it down with a damp cloth while dirt is wet if it's real bad. I bet my bearings last a bunch longer this year.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

There are/were some bike co.'z that cut out a very small drain hole in th bb to let water drain. Haven't seen one in yrz though.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I think washing a bike with hose often does more harm than good. I've stopped doing that and just brush the bike down when dry or wipe it down with a damp cloth while dirt is wet if it's real bad. I bet my bearings last a bunch longer this year.

This ^^

SPP
    Rigid.

Tree Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hansford View Post
    There's no drain hole in the bottom of the Nomad bottom bracket shell, and I wondered if there was a good reason for that?
    Dave
    That's because bikes don't have drain holes. Any holes you've seen are to vent pressure so as the frame is welded the tubes won't burst.
    CRAP... I'm in the wrong gear

Quote Originally Posted by rockhop View Post
    That's because bikes don't have drain holes. Any holes you've seen are to vent pressure so as the frame is welded the tubes won't burst.
    Well then... I stand...er, uh sit corrected...

mtbr member
    This has been an issue for me since I bought mine over three years ago. I occasionally pull the BB and clean it all out as I found turning the bike over after wet rides didn't appear to help very much. The life of my Shimano BB was very short, but the CK I replaced it worth has been very water resistant (but I do repack it with their fancy pants tool every couple of months). It's two years later and spins like butter.
    I'll be along... eventually.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks for the thoughts, folks... I'll leave the frame intact and go with the plastic bag. The best ideas are always the simplest...

Cheers,
    Dave

PS: My old Haro had a drain hole in the bottom of the BB shell, which is what gave me the idea in the first place.