mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Warranty Quesion

A buddy's head tube mushroomed on a Blur LT. He's been getting the run around for a few weeks.
    Sounds like they may not cover it but the guy is not a hucker, just an XC rider.
    How long does it take for SC to make a decision and why wouldn't this be covered?

Knolliac
    how old is the frame? is he the original owner? there is a two year warranty on manufacturer defects for the original owner. they are very lenient on crash replacements however in my experience. crash replacements are for issues beyond the two years. what exactly has santa cruz said about it? we need a little more info. i have always found sc customer service to be first rate, never an issue.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Warranty service

This is surprising. I have been dealing with SCB since 02 and cannot say a negative thing about them. In fact I just made a claim two days ago and I got the whole thing worked out in 1 day. Is SCB running them around or the LBS?

I too wonder what; if any, extenuating circumstances are at play here.

My first thought is they probably question it because this would be an ultra rare occurance. Their head tubes are thick and externally butted which might make one think user error might be at play here.

Keep us posted.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    SC looked at the frame and said it was either a loose headset or a hard head-on hit. The guy isn't a hucker and I know he hasn't hit anything. The only thing it could have been is the loose headset in which case the shop set it up wrong.
    Anyway SC let him get a frame for $250, which is obviously a good deal but he honestly did not ride it in a way to make a frame fail like that.
    Since he's had it a year now the shop isn't going to accept responsibility for the loose headset.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I agree with that assesment. The loose headset is most likely the culprit. I can understand why the shop might not want to accept responsibility. If it was loose it would have been obvious and for some time to ovalize a head tube. Not saying your friend ignored the symptons but It is a strong argument for regular maintenance. Let him/her know it is a good idea for many reasons to give the bike a once over before each ride and to do more thorough inspections monthly. A great time for detailed inspections is bath time. For the bike that is. It is a time when you are close to the bike and it is clean so you are more likely to notice things early. Anyway. Glad it worked out. $250 is a lot better than full price.