7am Backcountry ;- )

Want VPP but to keep all my parts from the Heckler - Blur LT 26" the way to go?

Still undecided about going 29er, and my budget stretching to new wheels etc.

Is the blur LT the obvious upgrade from my 2007 Heckler whilst keeping my 26" wheels and transferring all my parts, but wanting to get the VPP suspension plushness?

Other choices

Blur TR ?
    Nomad (too heavy?)

Finally I see the Heckler is classed as "all mountain" and the blur LT "trail bike" exactly what does that even mean?

Everything else is all 27.5 or 29 now
    [SIZE="1"][SIZE="2"]i can't ride for sh*t but i'm good at extreme pushing[/SIZE][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    It's tough these days to sort everything out and I don't know that I can help in that regard. What would help you the most is to post what kind of riding you do, and what types of trails you enjoy riding. Also, IMHO, I'd not buy a 26" bike at this point. Go 27.5 or 29, and also note you might as well surrender to another thing that is inevitable-- 10 speed.

You are spending the money anyway, the writing is on the wall per the demise of both 26" wheels and 9-speed, so you might as well use your $$ to make the jump now.

2 cents.

P-
    I'll be along... eventually.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    No offense to the above poster, but don't just write off a 26" bike because someone on MTBR told you to (same with the demise of 9-speeds... that's pretty stupid too). There are plenty of reasons to stick with the "old school" wheel size, and if you read enough posts on here you'll realize that all three sizes have their place. It all depends on what kind of riding you do.

That being said, I personally went from a Heckler to a Blur LT and couldn't be happier. I do have 27.5" wheels on it, but that's a minor change requiring minimal investment and something you can do next year if you want. Santa Cruz is blowing out their 2012 (2013?) Blur LT frames on their website for $900, and you're not going to find a better deal than that. Swap everything over and be happy with the decision. If you want to go to 27.5" next year, then it'll cost you a few hundred bucks and you'll have a bike that's 95% as capable as the Bronson, which costs a whole lot more. In fact, since the Bronson was released this summer I've had several people ask me if my Blur LT is a Bronson because they look so similar.

7am Backcountry ;- )
    Thanks for thoughts guys, the debate on 27.5/29" threads rages on across the various forums, and its the new wheelset and forks that makes it the expensive choice.

SantaCruz UK want 1749 for a blur LT ($2780)

$900 for a blur??!! thats crazy

Santa Cruz Bikes UK | Bikes » Blur LT
    [SIZE="1"][SIZE="2"]i can't ride for sh*t but i'm good at extreme pushing[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Creepy tooth fairy

Forget about the goddamn wheel size...

...that is not really the question. Rather, it would behoove you to consider what kind of riding you wish to do more of. If you want something that is a better and more lightweight trail-oriented bike, ie. better climber and more agile then get the BLT. If you want something that is more of heavy duty rig with superior descending capabilities and comparable climbing prowess to that of your Heckler then get the Nomad. Larger wheels will make rolling over chop less noticeable and tend to hold their momentum better than 26" wheels. A steeper more XC-oriented 29'er will be a great climber, but tend to suffer in the handling arena. Take the time to figure out what you want and ride on.
    the going won't get good 'til I'm good and gone

rubber side down
    Can't you convert the Blur to a 27.5 down the road?
    TAOS on pinkbike

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Taos1, yes you can... that's kind of the point of my post.

mtbr member
    I'm offended anyway. I'm writing off 26" wheels based on my 20+years of mountain biking (all on 26" wheels), and my research into this issue empirically and otherwise, not because "somebody told me too." No offense, but your assumption was offensive.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    No offense to the above poster, but don't just write off a 26" bike because someone on MTBR told you to (same with the demise of 9-speeds... that's pretty stupid too). There are plenty of reasons to stick with the "old school" wheel size, and if you read enough posts on here you'll realize that all three sizes have their place. It all depends on what kind of riding you do.

That being said, I personally went from a Heckler to a Blur LT and couldn't be happier. I do have 27.5" wheels on it, but that's a minor change requiring minimal investment and something you can do next year if you want. Santa Cruz is blowing out their 2012 (2013?) Blur LT frames on their website for $900, and you're not going to find a better deal than that. Swap everything over and be happy with the decision. If you want to go to 27.5" next year, then it'll cost you a few hundred bucks and you'll have a bike that's 95% as capable as the Bronson, which costs a whole lot more. In fact, since the Bronson was released this summer I've had several people ask me if my Blur LT is a Bronson because they look so similar.
    I'll be along... eventually.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    That's not my point. My point is not to listen to one person's opinion... when that person likely rides his bike in a different way, on different terrain, with different intentions. Like I then went on to say- different wheel sizes have different benefits, and despite what you think there are still advantages to the 26" wheel size. I understand that YOU like the 27.5" wheel size (and so do I), but not everyone does. Different horses for different courses.

7am Backcountry ;- )
    Thanks for thoughts guys.

The head angle on the Blur LT is 67.6* the 2007 Heckler 69*, not a lot in it, but does this make the Blur slacker and hence a better descender too?

Quote Originally Posted by HELLBELLY View Post
    ...that is not really the question. Rather, it would behoove you to consider what kind of riding you wish to do more of. If you want something that is a better and more lightweight trail-oriented bike, ie. better climber and more agile then get the BLT. If you want something that is more of heavy duty rig with superior descending capabilities and comparable climbing prowess to that of your Heckler then get the Nomad. Larger wheels will make rolling over chop less noticeable and tend to hold their momentum better than 26" wheels. A steeper more XC-oriented 29'er will be a great climber, but tend to suffer in the handling arena. Take the time to figure out what you want and ride on.
    Thanks some great points there. I like the way the Heckler handles, just feel the single pivot can feel dated sometimes, especially on tech descents with brake jack, and lack of plushness vs VPP2.